How about some Vietnam revetments?

I recently completed this modular project, for now it's on 1/72 scale but theoretically it'possible to scale-up to 48/32 but....:

it's big, a single wall mounted is 55cm/22inch. 1/48 & 84cm/32inch. 1/32 designed for the size of F-4 Phantom

it's heavy

it will not cheap

I haven't idea of a price, for the 1/72 a single set it could be around 30+ euro/U$ everything depends on the weight that now I can not yet know.

VR_001.jpg

VR_002.jpg

VR_003.jpg

looks truly amazing!

i understand that you didn't consider yet doing 1/48 and 1/32... a 1/48 diorama with this would require at least a 33"x33"! surface to display...(nearly 1 square meter!) which is huge!!!

Edited by mingwin

looks truly amazing!

i understand that you didn't consider yet doing 1/48 and 1/32... a 1/48 diorama with this would require at least 33"x33"! (nearly 1 square meter!) which is very huge!!!

...and expensive but maybe not too much.

O.K. this is what I'm waiting for 20...25 years now.... in 48th scale of course!!

I startet building a revetment using wooden profiles in the early nineties and was never satisfied (and never finished it.... :crying2: )

If it's of any help for your decision to scale the revetment up to 48th scale: you have one customer for sure.... :rolleyes:

Looks fantastic - even in the seventy-something scale..... :whistle:

Best regards,

Jens

I was in and out of Chu Lai, DaNang, and a couple others on a regular basis. Revetments were pretty much an Air Force thing till the spring of 68, and even then they seemed to start at the top of the food chain and slowly drift down till they got to where they needed them. Saw a few in DaNang, yet not as many as you'd have expected. Chu Lai didn't get anything till summer of 68 (maybe late summer). Even then it was only concrete strips that had them. After Tet in 68 Chu Lai, DaNang, and maybe Phu Bai built their own out of 55 gallon oil drums. I've seen them with layers of sandbags on the outside of them (usually two rows of drums high). Actually the oil drums worked very well. Helopads often had two rows of sand bags stacked about four to five feet high. But the pads you boarded the chopper had nothing.

Problem with most any revetment is that they were restrictive. One way in and one way out. Plus you never knew what was on the side waiting to shake your hand. Nothing's perfect! Plus when you hit the first one with a rocket the rest were easy.

gary

Looks great. Do you plan to sell them as a package set like you show in the third photo? Since the lengths could vary for location/aircraft could you sell just the main sections separately without having to buy the revetment "fill" tops and the end pieces? Are the main corrugated sections double sided or is the back side flat?

After Tet in 68 Chu Lai, DaNang, and maybe Phu Bai built their own out of 55 gallon oil drums. I've seen them with layers of sandbags on the outside of them (usually two rows of drums high). Actually the oil drums worked very well.

Chu Lai at least had the three barrel high strapped together walls set up going back to at least 1966. They were only side "walls", the rears were un protected.

I think Da Nang started getting roofs over the revetments in 1969 (or least some of them).

Do you plan to sell them as a package set like you show in the third photo? Since the lengths could vary for location/aircraft could you sell just the main sections separately without having to buy the revetment "fill" tops and the end pieces? Are the main corrugated sections double sided or is the back side flat?

could be one of the options, I haven't exactly defined the package, i think by the end of the month.