Well, Murphy really raised his head on this build! I thought I was about to cross the finish line this afternoon and complete this build, but that was before I got to the last step. I left the stabilizers to the end and I hit a major speed bump as I prepared to add them. I screwed up and I ended up painting one of the stabilizers in the opposite color scheme. In other words, one stabilizer has dark gray on the bottom and the light underside gray on top! :bandhead2:/>/> I had repainted both stabilizers a few weeks ago when I took a good look at them and was not satisfied with a bunch of dirt and dust showing in the paint. So I stripped the paint of by sanding, then rescribed and repainted both sides. Somehow in this repair work, I flipped one stabilizer over and ended up painting the colors opposite what they should be. Argghhhh! This will put me off finishing the model for several weeks. Then when this afternoon I was stripping off the paint again, I broke off the small pin that is used to position the stabilizer. Double Arggghhh! :doh:/>/> In the words of the great sage, Pooh Bear: "Oh Bother!" I drilled out the stabilizer, added a small plastic rod to serve as a positioning pin and stripped the stabilizer of its paint. After washing and drying, it now has the Mr Surfacer primer coat applied and drying. As this thread might be moved to the archive sooner than I can finish the stabilizer, I thought I would at least post some photos on the current state of the model as it sits waiting to be finished:

Orange%20Jump%20F16B_136_MJI0752016%20Large.jpg

Orange%20Jump%20F16B_134_MJI0752016%20Large.jpg

Orange%20Jump%20F16B_133_MJI0752016%20Large.jpgI

got to keep chanting the mantra...It's only a hobby, it's only a hobby..... :D/>/>

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:/>/>

Edited by Mike J. Idacavage
  • 2 weeks later...

In real life the horizontal stabilizers are interchangeable. I've seen more than one of our jets fly around with a stabilizer with FS36375 on top and FS36118 on the bottom, waiting for an opportunity to repaint. So you could easily get away with it Mike!

Finally crossed the finish line on this GB!! As I has suspected, the GB was moved into the archives, so hopefully, someone will see this! Thanks to everyone who has followed my progress these past almost 7 months. Here's the completed Orange Jumper F-16B:

Orange%20Jump%20F16B_140_MJI07212016%20Large.jpg

Orange%20Jump%20F16B_145_MJI07212016%20Large.jpg

Orange%20Jump%20F16B_148_MJI07212016%20Large.jpg

Orange%20Jump%20F16B_154_MJI07212016%20Large.jpg

Orange%20Jump%20F16B_157_MJI07212016%20Large.jpg

Thanks and Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:/>/>