Yesterday I read about a 20 year old young lady who was gunned down in traffic while serving as a DD. I was really looking forward to the police arresting the right guys until I learned something disturbing... One of the first suspects arrested is a Marine stationed in Yuma, my old duty station. The crime happened on New Years morning in Dallas, but the suspect was arrested 1200 miles away in Yuma a couple of days later. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-arrested-in-arizona-for-new-years-murder-of-texas-college-student/

It's tragic enough to learn of a responsible young adult being shot in the head while driving her drunk friends home from a party, but it just about crushes me to learn that a Marine was among those who committed the murder and that he later fled. The guy's a corporal and, according to the articles, he works with the MAWTS (think war games and JSF transitioning, IIRC), so I presume he's had some background checks done.

Ugh, I'm just venting

Just goed to show that you can never know what is going on in peoples mind.

Wisdom comes with age.

When will we learn to stop killing eachother over stupid things.

I don't know what the cause was for this shooting, but i'll bet there is no reason good enough to stop a persons life.

Makes you think.

Doesn't surprise me at all. A few years back we had a Marine Recruiter arrested at our local high school my kids attend. Problem was, he was recruiting for his gang, the Bloods. There has been lots of discussion in the news in the past few years of gang infiltration into the Marine Corps.

The other occupants of the shooter's SUV were members of a rap music group (Daytona Boyz) that performed at the NYE party attended by the victim.

Most rap music I hear on the street is about denigrating women and/or "poppin a cap" in someone's head. Part of the culture I guess...

Very sad story indeed. 2 young lives that could have turned out so much more positively.

I will say it is SOOOOO hard to not want to post something that could be construed as political in this thread but I will do my darnedest to refrain.

Bill

Very sad story indeed. 2 young lives that could have turned out so much more positively.

I will say it is SOOOOO hard to not want to post something that could be construed as political in this thread but I will do my darnedest to refrain.

Bill

That's respectable.

I agree it's a big tragedy. I do not believe that public punishments are cruel or unusual. Whoever was the trigger guy then he needs go meet God for judgement.

The other occupants of the shooter's SUV were members of a rap music group (Daytona Boyz) that performed at the NYE party attended by the victim.

Most rap music I hear on the street is about denigrating women and/or "poppin a cap" in someone's head. Part of the culture I guess...

So are we blaming the Marines, or rap music? Or a smaller subset, rap music lovin' Marines?

Need to get to the bottom of this.

So are we blaming the Marines, or rap music? Or a smaller subset, rap music lovin' Marines?

Hehehe, thanks for bringing levity

Sadly even the USMC has some members that don't live up to the high moral standards of the Corps.

My son (Navy P-3 Orion turboprop mechanic) is TDY to Okinawa right now. He said the first few days he was there he was restricted to the base because a couple of Marines recently raped and robbed a 14-year-old Japanese girl in a parking garage. The crime was captured on several security cameras, videos from which were played many times on the local news.

Incoming personnel are now given classes on cultural sensitivities related to this crime before they can leave the base, and as my son put it, he is now quite sure he knows how to avoid raping Japanese 14-year-olds.

There are bad people in all segments of our society and the Marines are not immune.

Those aren't Marines....those are criminals and thugs that happen to be allowed to wear U.S. Marine uniforms. The real Marines will deal with them at the appropriate time. It is sad that they not only blacken the reputation of the USMC, but cast a pall over all branches the US military...in some eyes. They aren't the first, thankfully it happens on rare occasions, doesn't lessen it any though. However if true to form the news media will milk it for all they can get out of it.

No true Scotsman fallacy.

Cheers,

Andre

That's a cool little tidbit of information. Argument is actually very fascinating. On the other hand, I'd like to point out that we are all making sense of this crime in our own ways so I wouldn't ride another person too hard for their view regarding a senseless crime.

That's a cool little tidbit of information. Argument is actually very fascinating. On the other hand, I'd like to point out that we are all making sense of this crime in our own ways so I wouldn't ride another person too hard for their view regarding a senseless crime.

Yes, fallacies are quite fascinating from a psychological point of view. We all have our mental defence mechanisms.

Pointing out a fallacy is not "riding a person hard", in my opinion - at least, I do not intend it to be.

Cheers,

Andre

One aspect of this story is that apparently the murderer was caught with the help of social media. I do not know how social media helped.....but that is an interesting part of this story.

We are more and more connected and our world is a changin'.

One aspect of this story is that apparently the murderer was caught with the help of social media. I do not know how social media helped.....but that is an interesting part of this story.

We are more and more connected and our world is a changin'.

Indeed. See also the Bellingcat research into the Russian soldiers connected to the MH17 shootdown, which used a lot of data posted on social media.

We live in interesting times.

Cheers,

Andre

Yes, fallacies are quite fascinating from a psychological point of view. We all have our mental defence mechanisms.

Pointing out a fallacy is not "riding a person hard", in my opinion - at least, I do not intend it to be.

Cheers,

Andre

Instead of the "No true Scotsman..." I look at it more like a "You're dead to me" analogy. I don't think the thought is that they were not Marines, but rather that they lost the right to be called a Marine by doing such a callous act. I believe the spirit is in line (on the opposite end of the spectrum) with "Once a Marine always a Marine". It's not a true statement from a technical point of view but rather from a sense of brotherhood. Once he crossed a line, he lost that brotherhood. So I don't see it as a denial of him having been one, like "no true Scotsman.." but rather he's been cast out. Just my take on it anyway. YMMV

Bill

Anyone that don't what listen to country N western is "sussedpekt" <Spits Tobacco>

I think Marines commit fewer crimes, but the crimes that are committed are made very public. Hopefully this one gets the death penalty-- Since it Texas, fingers crossed. Texas might be one of the places where the penalty is more harsh than military justice, but I don't know I only watched the first 12 seasons of JAG. I worked briefly in a legal office as a phone answerer at the start of my transition to POG life, but it was generally fighting, and urinalysis failures. Nothing this serious.

What sucks beyond giving the Corps a black eye publicly is its going to lead to further rules, and restrictions on the people who stay in, and who of course would never do such a thing in the first place. :bandhead2:

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

One aspect of this story is that apparently the murderer was caught with the help of social media. I do not know how social media helped.....

Authorities apparently had a list of names of people who attended the NYE party. When they visited the facebook page of the person named for the crime, he was posing with his black SUV which apparently matched witness descriptions, and also listed friends/family in the Yuma area. In short, he led them right to him.

Instead of the "No true Scotsman..." I look at it more like a "You're dead to me" analogy. I don't think the thought is that they were not Marines, but rather that they lost the right to be called a Marine by doing such a callous act. I believe the spirit is in line (on the opposite end of the spectrum) with "Once a Marine always a Marine". It's not a true statement from a technical point of view but rather from a sense of brotherhood. Once he crossed a line, he lost that brotherhood. So I don't see it as a denial of him having been one, like "no true Scotsman.." but rather he's been cast out. Just my take on it anyway. YMMV

Bill

Weeeeell, there are two points worth pointing out: 1) I don't think the public really knows for sure if he did it, and 2) very few Marines want to be associated with anybody who would witness such a heinous act without acting. We are supposed to be the heroes willing to give it all away just to stop the good from losing to the bad.

So I'd say yeah, he might as well be dead to many, but we don't know for sure if he's the trigger guy.

Anyone that don't what listen to country N western is "sussedpekt" <Spits Tobacco>

Sheeeiiit you cain't be opern minded without lissenin' to both kinds of music!