ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
HomeBe

1:48 - MiG-25RBT "Foxbat-B" by ICM - released

Thanks for clearing the record of the individual little red stars on the nose.

Concerning the badges /orders it is interesting that in later years of service they were painted over for some reason, even the Heros names disappeared on some airframes.

As I have said before we are going off completely from the actual topic, the ICM MiG-25 kit.

The Belenko story is interesting but I think it and others similar ones should be in another topic.

Best regards

Gabor  

8 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

The Belenko story is interesting but I think it and others similar ones should be in another topic

It came up in the context whether ICM may follow up this kit with the "P" version - not completely off topic, as it still related to the ICM MiG-25. But point taken. Personally I'm very interested in this kit (the RBT) and associated discussion, as it seems to be much better than anything to date. I came close to buying the Kittyhawk MiG-25PD, as I always wanted a MiG-25 in my collection, so I'm very interested in the ICM kit. However, I must admit that I do have a preference for the interceptor version.

25 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Concerning the badges /orders it is interesting that in later years of service they were painted over for some reason, even the Heros names disappeared on some airframes.

It happened because the 47th GRAP was deactivated and planes were transferred to other units.

Completely agree with the preference for the interceptor version. It was a REAL interceptor!!! :woot.gif:  Having seen many of them in person, having had a chance to crawl all over it and inside it with a measuring tape and camera, opened panels. . . have to say it is SOMETHING SPECIAL!!!

Never had an itch for the recon version, still payed just as much attention to them in the past decades when they came up simply because they were there and often you get only one chance in life to get up close to it.

In the past years had a closer look at the recon versions and have to say that they are just as fascinating, especially the fact that there are so many versions of it. Not only the main R, RB, RBK, RBF, RBV. . .  but also with in the variants basically there are no two identical ones! The versions within the versions depended on a lot of things including the year of manufacture, the number of Buletin conversion works carried out on them, the original airframe from which the particular conversion was made, the task and the destination state they were intended/manufactured for . . .

So I am not surprised that some kit manufacturers have no idea what they are doing and have a mix of different versions. Taking time and doing a proper research is not something that they do.:angry:

As to the ICM kit, it is also a mix of different version but it is a good starting point, the version I am doing has also its particular features which are not all catered for in the kit, but since it is modelling I see no problem in doing some adjustments.

Best regards

Gabor  

The cool thing about Red 46 is that it was one of the "last of the last" of the Foxbats Russia flew...funnily enough, it never received the new roundel, "VVS ROSSYA", or RF- number like Red 45. As Kotey once told me, the only consistent thing about RuAf is the inconsistency...

Also, I had no idea it flew missions over Georgia during that war, either! 

And in this week RuAF chief send to Minister of Defence request to change Russian VKS insignias back to old type - red star with white-red outlines, without blue. On some aircrafts (Su-30SMs) old style insignias were placed at manufactor plant before.

PS:

I'm not a big fun of policy discussion, BTW in russian there was next saying: "Our brave intelligence agents against their disgusting spies" - i'm think this can be sayed from any sides.

About Belenko - at simple Russians look he was betraitor without any doubts, same as Zuev, who deflect MiG-29, same as Tolmachev (Zaslon radar constructor, who sell its parameters to CIA), same as Rezun (Suvorov) - KGB officer, who sell names of USSR spyes to US. And as say Mfezi the all did its treachery versus country population. Simple Russians had nothing against artists, whos runaway to West (some balet or cinema actors) and made carrier there - they

look to better life and get it.

What Americans  think about Ames or Snowden, (as i know US pilots never deflect to East)?

37 minutes ago, kotey said:

What Americans  think about Ames or Snowden, (as i know US pilots never deflect to East)?

Add Jonathan Pollard and John Walker to the list (which is actually much longer than just those four).   I won't speak for my fellow Americans but personally, I feel the same way about those guys as most Russians feel about their traitors.  If a war ever started, they would have had the blood of their countrymen on their hands.   They should all burn...

Interesting information always on Russian aircraft and histories of units. insignias and aircraft variations.  I am glad I am not into armor as the number of subtypes would be more than a mind could comprehend.  As for ICM doing a fighter version of the MiG 25 I guess you could see that in the future, but my guess is that they were being a bit careful with the market with Kittyhawk already doing a Fighter and AMK saying they are going to do one.  I have hoped for a couple of years that ICM would do a new wing on their excellent C-45 with the longer nacelles and cranked inner wing, but I don't see that happening.  Anyway I am busy building the ICM MiG and it is a wonderful build.  With a bit of care, the fit is very good and the kit seems generally very accurate.  ICM started out with their good Spitfires way back when and those were the best out there for a long time, just with ICM's inexperience the kit was overly engineered.  They have learned, and continued to learn until today, the MiG-25 and C-45 are as good of a kit as any on the market from any company.  I sure hope that ICM one day will bless us with a 48th scale SU-7 kit.  

Small clarification.  When I said ICM may choose not do the P, I meant just the P specifically.  I wouldn't be surprised if they do the PD or PDS interceptors, but the P would require a new nose, so they may not want to spend the resources tooling it.

4 hours ago, 11bee said:

Add Jonathan Pollard and John Walker to the list (which is actually much longer than just those four).   I won't speak for my fellow Americans but personally, I feel the same way about those guys as most Russians feel about their traitors.  If a war ever started, they would have had the blood of their countrymen on their hands.   They should all burn...

One notable difference here being that it wasn't Russia, but USSR -  a union comprising of many ethnicities and national republics and dominated by Russia. And some of those from the dominated nations didn't necessarily share the same perspective as their Russian compatriots regarding the USSR being their country.

On 1/21/2017 at 4:58 AM, dinozavr said:

A bit strange to read arguments about Belenko. Any pilot of any country, who hijacked a plane and flew to another state, there will always be a traitor. And attitude to this pilot will never change, regardless of any change in his country. (As an example, what attitude will be to the pilot at his country after 10, 20 or 40 years, who hijacked, for example, F-22 or J-20?). So that the marking of the  Belenko aircraft never be popular with people who understand what is the betrayal.

That's not necessarily true. For example, Kuklinski, the Polish officer who spied for USA and later defected was sentenced to death in absence during the communist regime, but had his sentence annulled in the post-communist Poland.

Edited by ijozic

16 hours ago, ijozic said:

One notable difference here being that it wasn't Russia, but USSR -  a union comprising of many ethnicities and national republics and dominated by Russia. And some of those from the dominated nations didn't necessarily share the same perspective as their Russian compatriots regarding the USSR being their country.

Usual stamp, without knowledge of the real history of the USSR and relations between nations
However, very similar to European Community , dominated by Germany :-)))

16 hours ago, ijozic said:

That's not necessarily true. For example, Kuklinski, the Polish officer who spied for USA and later defected was sentenced to death in absence during the communist regime, but had his sentence annulled in the post-communist Poland.

I think it was a political decision of the government. At the same time the fact of betrayal did not disappear

Sorry for offtopic, I understand that this is a political squabbling, that there should be no place

Edited by dinozavr

15 hours ago, 11bee said:

You feel this way, other may feel different. I believe it would be better if we avoid stating our opinion in political matters. You might insult someone or feel insulted... 

What options have you all decided to do? I'm thinking about doing the Libyan option...I'm really curious about the jester emblem on the side as well. I don't think I've ever seen art of any sort on Gaddafi-era jets.

Question on this kit. Saw one at my local shop and got to look inside. The sprue with the wing panels was on top of the other sprues which were somewhat smaller than the wing sprue. The wing panels and sprue were quite bowed or warped ... hard to tell without removing the sprue. The parts bag was also quite tight around the sprues so that could be contributing to what I saw. Looked in a second box and it was the same. Anyone seen this and know if that warping/bowing on the wing panels relaxes when out of the bag or if the parts really are warped?

thanks

All the sprues are tight in the bag. It has the good effect that they don’t have the space to shake around and cause damage one to the other. Yes, they are close up but I don’t see any warpage on my wings. So it could be only a visual side effect of the packing that you see.

Have to add that the plastic used by ICM is fairly soft which makes any alterations / corrections / slight bending if needed possible.

The soft plastic helps a lot in my work with the kit!

Best regards

Gabor

14 hours ago, Gary F said:

Anyone seen this and know if that warping/bowing on the wing panels relaxes when out of the bag or if the parts really are warped?

First off, it's *really* hard to get a good photograph trying to illustrate warpage on a kit.  These are the best I could do.  Also note, these photos are meant to make the warpage as obvious as possible.  It really doesn't look that bad in the flesh.  That being said...

My kit's wings aren't *perfect*, but the warpage is fairly minor.  The sprues *look* a little worse, but the actual wing panels remained relatively flat.  There's maybe a .5mm gap at the worst of it, but the plastic is pretty soft, and it's pretty easy to bend back to shape.

Port upper wing was the worst, with a slight S-curve

PU_zps6ehymyxp.jpg

Port lower wing just needed slight pressure to get back to shape:

PL_zps7nnes260.jpg

Same for the starboard upper wing:

SU_zpsvzebeext.jpg

And the starboard lower wing:

SL_zpsafok1iaa.jpg

One thing worth noting:  there's a flow mark on my port upper wing (just outboard of the blue line here).  When I flexed the wing, I noticed a stress crack forming along the flow line, so you'll want to be careful applying pressure.  I was pretty gentle, but I suspect it would snap under heavier pressure

Crack_zpsay80mv8u.jpg

Edited by MoFo

I guess I was right to be concerned about the flow lines that I noticed in the sprue pics before this kit was released.

16 minutes ago, beingthehero said:

Weird. No warping at all with mine.

Same here. Everything looks fine with mine. I remember my bag being snug, but I wouldn't have called it tight. 

Thanks for the input guys. I'd been pretty lucky with kits for many years but in the last 2 years I've had 5 Gripens (KH) that had badly warped aft fuselage halves (beyond use or fixing), warped parts and broken clear parts in Mig 25 (KH), and broken clear parts in a couple Mirage F-1's again KH.  Tried for 11 months to get some help from KH and couldn't get a reply so done with them. But never had a kit from these guys so wasn't sure what to make of what I'd seen in this Mig kit. 

Again thanks

On 1/22/2017 at 11:23 PM, vesthepes said:

You feel this way, other may feel different. I believe it would be better if we avoid stating our opinion in political matters. You might insult someone or feel insulted... 

This very succinctly sums up the whole "No Politics" aspect of the forum. So, if we can, let's keep the discussion to the models or the actual aircraft and leave out the political commentary.

Thanks

Al P

ARC MiG 25 Rivet Counter and Dust Bunny Sorter

1 hour ago, beingthehero said:

Just a rebox of the ICM kit.

in my area, it's much easier to come by the Revell brand than ICM. I have to drive 35 miles (each way) to even see ICM kits. Smart move for both brand names.

gary 

Yep! Same reason Revell sometimes repops Zvezda's kits in Western Europe and North America,  too. Greater brand awareness helps.