ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
HomeBe

1:48 - MiG-25RBT "Foxbat-B" by ICM - released

Did I read it right that its an accurate copy of the prototype? Does the RBT prototype differ a lot from the production version?

eric

19 minutes ago, speedlimit said:

Did I read it right that its an accurate copy of the prototype? Does the RBT prototype differ a lot from the production version?

eric

The term "prototype" in this context was apparently via google translate, as I understand it, and does not mean prototype as you and I know it in the aircraft sense. This is supposed to be a production version AFAIK.

Marc B.

Prototype as in archetype, not pre-production.  It's an accurate use of the word, just not the way it is colloquially used among aircraft modellers.  (see also: chassis) 

It's a good object-lesson in the need to carefully craft your marketing in a global marketplace though;  I've seen a lot of comments on various forums saying that it's not a production airframe as people spread the (understandable) misinterpretation.  In fact I wouldn't be shocked to see sales of the kit take a bit of a hit when it first hits, until people start reading reviews that clarify the matter. 

I'm curious about those CAD renders. Is that some sort of surface texture applied to the render, or is it a representation of the actual surface that will be tooled and reproduced in plastic? If it's the latter than it could be spectacular as it looks just like a real (military) aircraft skin, will all it's tiny wrinkles and fine surface undulations... Can't wait to see the plastic!

J

1 hour ago, JeffreyK said:

Is that some sort of surface texture applied to the render, or is it a representation of the actual surface that will be tooled and reproduced in plastic?

My guess is the former. I doubt ICM has access to equipments allowing textured surfaces (laser, high-precision EDM).

On 19 November 2016 at 4:36 AM, 11bee said:

I'd say it would be out between 12/1 and 12/31. 

In English-English that's somewhere between 12th January next and December 2031.

I like Laurent's timetable better, and have one on pre-order so that's a relief!

Tony

Thanks ever so much for posting those! They should quell the "if it ain't plastic, it ain't real" crowd.

However, a couple of things jump out at me straight away. 1). I am guessing that the model is broken up that way to facilitate multiple versions? Without having built the actual model, it looks like it has the potential to be a monster putty hog. 2). While admittedly I have never built an ICM kit before (I have the C-45 in the stash, but haven't looked at it closely), do those "flow lines" worry anyone else or are these shots of pre-production plastic? Lastly, did all versions (except for the Foxbat-E) use the Tumansky R-15? I am wondering if the Barracuda Studios resin nozzles might have a chance to fit this beast? Obviously we won't know until we see the actual plastic, but inquiring minds want to know!

Plastic flow lines are on most kits, they are inside the plastic in most cases and have no effect on surface quality. 

Lets see the kit in person and make judgement based on a look at the real plastic parts.

All MiG-25's used the R-15 engine or a versions of it. I have seen one test airframe in Moscow which had the would be MiG-31 engine as a test but that was only a test aircraft. The difference is in the engine exhaust petals, the interceptor versions used a shorter one while the recon had the longer version.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

3 hours ago, madmanrick said:

1). I am guessing that the model is broken up that way to facilitate multiple versions? Without having built the actual model, it looks like it has the potential to be a monster putty hog. 2). While admittedly I have never built an ICM kit before (I have the C-45 in the stash, but haven't looked at it closely), do those "flow lines" worry anyone else or are these shots of pre-production plastic? Lastly, did all versions (except for the Foxbat-E) use the Tumansky R-15? I am wondering if the Barracuda Studios resin nozzles might have a chance to fit this beast? Obviously we won't know until we see the actual plastic, but inquiring minds want to know!

1.) They broke it down that way so they didn't have to use a slide mold for the lower fuselage.  (I'm assuming you mean the separate lower fuselage sides/tail).  ICM kits fit pretty well, and they've got two interior bulkheads to align everything, so I wouldn't worry about it.  In fact, with those bulkheads, it will probably be easier to build than the KH kit, which usually suffers from dramatically warped fuselage parts.  In terms of multiple versions, the break in front of the cockpit will let them do different noses for different recce sub-types, or the bombers or WW jets.  Swap out the nose/exhaust sprue and the wings and they should be able to do an interceptor. 

2.) Nope.

3.) As Gabor said, they used the same basic engine, but different sub-types with different petals.  The interceptor versions (like the KH kit and Barracuda exhausts) have short, simple petals, like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/98/05/0b/98050be20fa35ef586149f16ce681054.jpg   https://i.ytimg.com/vi/izIClWYKK1o/maxresdefault.jpg  (note, the petals are basically flush with the assembly in the middle of the exhausts, and most of the parabrake pen nib is exposed).  The bomber/recce versions (like this ICM kit) has longer, more complex petals.  http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/galerie/DSC01254.JPG  (note that the petals extend well past the assembly between the two exhausts, and most of the pen nib is covered)  Will they fit?  No idea.  Depends on the geometry - the Barracuda parts were designed for the KH kit, so if their exhausts were dimensionally out to lunch, they probably won't work on the ICM.  If the KH and ICM exhausts are pretty much the same size, the Barracuda set will just need new feathers, but can (I think?) use the same tubes, flame holders and center section.

-----

Looking at the ICM pics...  a couple of thoughts come to mind:

- looks pretty nice, overall.

- the 'skin rippling' was just an effect in the render.  I'm not seeing any subtle effects on the plastic.

- BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! for those exhausts.  They're only *slightly* less garbage than the KH kit.  :(

- that PVD probe is going to suuuuuuck to assemble.  Should I buy the Armory part now, or wait for a Masterclub one?

- shame that the camera bay isn't detailed, though it's not a surprise.

Most importantly though...  Armory is showing the kit as 'Backordered'.  Hobby.dn have it 'Available 10 - 20 days after order'.  Modelsua have it as a pre-order.  What would be the better place to order?

5 hours ago, MoFo said:

Most importantly though...  Armory is showing the kit as 'Backordered'.  Hobby.dn have it 'Available 10 - 20 days after order'.  Modelsua have it as a pre-order.  What would be the better place to order?

Preordered mine from www.hobby.net.ua. It was ready to ship on 24, now in travel, waiting for it to arrive.

Kits are shipping have one inbound it left yesterday...looking forward to this one!

2 hours ago, Andrea Bolla said:

Preordered mine from www.hobby.net.ua. It was ready to ship on 24, now in travel, waiting for it to arrive.

Two questions: when I go through their checkout, they say they've got free shipping on orders over 1,000 грн.  Any idea if that's just local shipping, or worldwide? If it's worldwide, that's a pretty smokin' deal.  Also, how do you pay via PayPal?  I'm only seeing options for money order/COD/Western Union/etc, which I have zero interest in screwing with.

They don't accept Paypal. I've bought from them several times using Western Union.It seems sketchy at first but they've always delivered.

8 hours ago, MoFo said:

Two questions: when I go through their checkout, they say they've got free shipping on orders over 1,000 грн.  Any idea if that's just local shipping, or worldwide? If it's worldwide, that's a pretty smokin' deal.  Also, how do you pay via PayPal?  I'm only seeing options for money order/COD/Western Union/etc, which I have zero interest in screwing with.

They asked to pay with Western Union. Postage to Italy was 26$, I choose to ship to friends in Ukraine (free shipping) and they will bring it in Italy coming for XMas.

2 hours ago, Andrea Bolla said:

They asked to pay with Western Union. Postage to Italy was 26$, I choose to ship to friends in Ukraine (free shipping) and they will bring it in Italy coming for XMas.

Can you ask them to come via the US? With a pallet of Foxbats?

There are lucky ones who already have the kit in Moscow! Here are few first photos from “Aviament” who has purchased it one or two days ago.

Photos are here

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_67096_start_80.html

The surface details look nice based on the photos but of course will have to look at it in person. I am sure he will post some more, people are asking him to take pictures of this or that detail.

Best regards

Gabor

Photos are copyright “Aviament”

The wheels have engraved lines and reversed radial lines for the rubber mould lines. They look convincing.

Best regards

Gabor

ICM 25 1.jpg

Weirdly enough i am most impressed by the instruction sheet. The kit itself looks very decent, but i mean comparing to my 1/72 ICM MiG-25PD instruction sheet, they really stepped up their game on this one. Video overview;

Hope they keep up this quality.

It would be nice if they included the RWR blisters and MERs for the Iraqi RBT as well as English stencils, but I am completely satisfied with what's given. I'm ordering one for sure.

On 2016. 11. 29. at 2:39 PM, beingthehero said:

Can you ask them to bring an actual MiG-25?

This is sad but US had a chance to have different versions of the Foxbat from Iraq and as far as I know only one was taken back to the States. :crying::angry: 

The rest was scraped including some fantastic PD versions!!! 

Back to the kit, here is another view of the main gear.

Best regards

Gabor

ICM 25 2.jpg

I didn't see any wing pylons or bomb racks and other stores beside the ventral fuel tank. Is some enterprising aftermarket company going to fill that niche?? Also I guess we just need a different non camera nose for other RB variants???

Thanks all!