Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
HomeBe

1:48 - MiG-25RBT "Foxbat-B" by ICM - released

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, madmanrick said:

Jeffrey, while I completely agree with you when it comes to dropping bombs in anger, I just have to say one of the most awesome things I did in the AF was direct Warthogs onto static hulks. Watching that 30mm gun open up a T62 like it was a tin can, was pretty incredible! Also, watching Mavericks obliterate hulks was even more so. Thankfully, I was never asked to do it for "real," although I spent 6 years waiting and preparing for the moment. I can only imagine that if I had been asked to do it in anger, training would have kicked in and we would have done what was needed, even if it was no longer "awesome."

 

As a follow up - I spent close a decade as an infantryman.  I got to play with all sorts of anti-tank missiles / rockets, grenades, explosives, automatic weapons, etc.   All of them I thought were extremely "cool".  That being said, I never lost track of the damage they could do to human beings.  So I'd like ask Jeffrey to just relax a bit.  I get that bombs (even from a mach 2.5 jet, flying at 60,000 ft) will hurt people and that is a bad thing.  Regardless, this aircraft is still frickin' cool.  

 

Sorry for any hurt feelings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly annoyed (DISSappointed?!) regarding the ventral nose antenna array error. 

Not keen to backdate the intakes so...

Having the kit on my work table I am planning to move the two offending antennae provided inboard, then will fill their location indents and pack the space between them a scrap tongue and filler to represent the later array. Hopefully a resin part will come out (that includes a proper camera tray too), but if nothing emerges the DIY part will suffice.

 

Usual caveats; take care to cut sprue attach gates carefully, noting that a few meet parts on angled edges. Care really pays off with this kit as the parts fit beautifully if done properly and that's necessary given the complex way the fuselage comes together. Lovely detail and an enjoyable build so far.

 

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any decent reference photos of the camera bay for someone who might want to make a replacement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pics of the bay or the pallet? I don't think I have ever seen pictures of the bay. I'll dig up some links for the pallet.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Camera out of the pallet:

 

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Galleries/Special/Features/Foxbats/12-FoxbatCamera.jpg.html

 

Pallet partially lowered:

 

http://www.spyflight.co.uk/images/JPGS/MiG-25 Foxbat/MiG-25RBV Foxbat-B camera bay.jpg

 

If I remember right, there is also a different PC in one of the Yefim Gordon books. 

 

This is what I used to do the lowered pallet for my Indian Foxbat build.

 

Hope this helps.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... If I understand correctly this should be the RBT and not RB, right?

 

"Photos are courtesy of Luftwaffe A.S."

fMa9joUG.jpg

syaafmig-25rb28429.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some good news, although ICM is not very communicative as to the details.

It seems that the plan of ICM is to produce the MiG-25P and PD versions in the spring of next year with the RBS version arriving in the summer of 2017.

As they say I believe it when I see it. But at least there is a hope.

 

Best regards

Gabor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does a Nuke strike capable aircraft can be made from that kit without too much extra ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mingwin said:

does a Nuke strike capable aircraft can be made from that kit without too much extra ? 

That would be my preferred variant as well.  I believe Eduard has the weapon in resin (IAB-500) which would work.   Don't know if there was a special pylon for a nuke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 11bee said:

That would be my preferred variant as well.  I believe Eduard has the weapon in resin (IAB-500) which would work.   Don't know if there was a special pylon for a nuke. 

i already have the training nuke from brassin, that comes with a small pylon/adapter.

"Advance Modeling" also does soviet nukes in 1/48 (RN-24 or RN-28) ...but i don't know if either are correct for the purpose...

Edited by mingwin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Some good news, although ICM is not very communicative as to the details.

 

It seems that the plan of ICM is to produce the MiG-25P and PD versions in the spring of next year with the RBS version arriving in the summer of 2017.

 

As they say I believe it when I see it. But at least there is a hope.

 

 

Best regards

 

Gabor

Awesome. I'm still gonna build the Revell kits that I have in my stash, but I already have one of the RBTs(?) on the way to me too. I will grab an RBS and a PD if and when they come out. Maybe my next Revell build will be a PU or RU.

 

Dave

Edited by parche

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.12.2016 at 10:45 AM, vesthepes said:

So... If I understand correctly this should be the RBT and not RB, right?

 

"Photos are courtesy of Luftwaffe A.S."

fMa9joUG.jpg

syaafmig-25rb28429.jpg

Yes, those look like RBT's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

It seems that the plan of ICM is to produce the MiG-25P and PD versions in the spring of next year with the RBS version arriving in the summer of 2017.

 

P and PD are a must of course, but RBS seems like the laziest of the choices available to follow-up on the RBT the compared to e.g. a BM (pylons and Kh-58 missiles) or an earlier recon variant (different nose bits, intakes, brake chute cover, main antenna position, etc.).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Some good news, although ICM is not very communicative as to the details.

 

It seems that the plan of ICM is to produce the MiG-25P and PD versions in the spring of next year with the RBS version arriving in the summer of 2017.

Well, to add to this AMK has already announced that they plan to produce 3 different versions of the MiG-25 as well. And while they have not yet announced which versions they will be making, I imagine at least one will be the interceptor version and your guess is as good as mine on the other two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17. 12. 2016 at 1:17 AM, Berkut said:

Yes, those look like RBT's.

 

 

Thanks Berkut. 

That means SyAAF flew RBTs. Was that an upgraded RB or a new aircraft production type? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got mine in the mail today. Woo-hoo! I'm going to avoid opening it until Christmas Day.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is this Christmas Day thing? I got my example with a help of a friend on Thursday evening. Why wait for anything??? Jumped straight into it that evening.

Like the kit! At a glance there are some very fine details in it, like cockpit side walls, instrument panel, nice panel lines . . .

 

When looking at the sprues I was not sure about the engine exhaust but when you start to assemble it. It is complex, but also very simple and straight forward. Excellent design with some unconventional ideas fitted into it. :thumbsup:  Perfect location and positioning of parts but what is far more important they all fall in place and there are virtually no seams anywhere!!!!! :woot.gif:  If only they would have added a bit more fine detail to the exhaust petals like on the instrument panel. Still it is great resulting in a very complex exhaust!!!

 

To go with the kit the fantastic Master pitots have also arrived. Brass and 3D printed antennas make a perfect combination for a superb and what is far more important an authentic pitot!  :worship:  :worship:  :worship: More on this later.

 

Best regards

Gabor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

What is this Christmas Day thing? I got my example with a help of a friend on Thursday evening. Why wait for anything??? Jumped straight into it that evening.

 

Like the kit! At a glance there are some very fine details in it, like cockpit side walls, instrument panel, nice panel lines . . .

 

 

 

When looking at the sprues I was not sure about the engine exhaust but when you start to assemble it. It is complex, but also very simple and straight forward. Excellent design with some unconventional ideas fitted into it. :thumbsup:  Perfect location and positioning of parts but what is far more important they all fall in place and there are virtually no seams anywhere!!!!! :woot.gif:  If only they would have added a bit more fine detail to the exhaust petals like on the instrument panel. Still it is great resulting in a very complex exhaust!!!

 

 

 

To go with the kit the fantastic Master pitots have also arrived. Brass and 3D printed antennas make a perfect combination for a superb and what is far more important an authentic pitot!  :worship:  :worship:  :worship: More on this later.

 

 

 

Best regards

 

Gabor

Hopefully a few in progress shots, or possibly a WIP?

 

Regards-

 

Scott 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got mine in the mail today, it looks pretty nice. I have a couple of questions though.

1: are any of the markings in the kit correct for the version in the box? I did a VERY quick google search and found that RED 46 has a different sensor array on the nose, but there is one other Soviet ,an Iraqi and a Libyan verson on the decal sheet.

2: does anyone have a good shot of the upper surface? specifically the demarcation between the bare metal areas.

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming all the versions on the sheet are really RBT's (red 46 is one, yes), then none of the options are correct oob. Because as discussed in the thread, the kit is not RBT in the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a specific airframe on display at a museum in Kiev.  Sort of like the Tamiya Meteor, it's a mix of parts that are only applicable to a single jet.  In this case, the nose is from an early MiG-25RB, while the intakes are a later type seen on (among others) the MiG-25RBT.  So OOB, it's not accurate for any major sub-type.

 

For modelling purposes, it would be easiest to build the kit as an early MiG-25RB.  You just have to alter the intakes by removing the lip extension on top of the intakes and the blisters on the sides, which is a pretty simple task.  Basically, the kit looks like this, so you have to make it look like this.  Converting it to an RBT would be harder, as you would have to alter the nose - change some antennae and add a bulge - which would take some skill to pull off.  Or just wait for an aftermarket nose - I'm sure we'll see an RBT, RBF, BM and other nose conversions.

Edited by MoFo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MoFo said:

For modelling purposes, it would be easiest to build the kit as an early MiG-25RB.  You just have to alter the intakes by removing the lip extension on top of the intakes and the blisters on the sides, which is a pretty simple task.  Basically, the kit looks like this, so you have to make it look like this.  Converting it to an RBT would be harder, as you would have to alter the nose - change some antennae and add a bulge - which would take some skill to pull off.  Or just wait for an aftermarket nose - I'm sure we'll see an RBT, RBF, BM and other nose conversions.

You might need to also shift to an old parabrake housing for the RB.

 

I had to build the hump on my Revell build. It was a pain, but definitely doable.

 

Cheers, 

 

Dave

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the replies guys

it looks like it would be pretty easy to make an RBT out of it after all. I started filling in the recesses for the antennas on the nose, and it looks like a bit of .040 styrene and some putty will make the small lump under the nose. the general shape seems to be correct.

the fit of the nose is another story, the seem between the two nose pieces will need lots of putty. im not looking forward to the intakes.

 

this is the plane I am planning on making.

 

MiG-25_Foto11-600x387.jpg

 

Edited by dylan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, modifying it isnt too bad. Remove the two smaller side bumps and add the large bump on the underside of the nose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...