ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
HomeBe

1:48 - MiG-25RBT "Foxbat-B" by ICM - released

And as Dave already said, you will have to modify the parabrake housing. The kit provides you with an early style RB chute housing.

On 26.12.2016 at 3:08 PM, vesthepes said:

And as Dave already said, you will have to modify the parabrake housing. The kit provides you with an early style RB chute housing.

? Dave said it needs to be modified for an RB, not for an RBT, which is correct. The kit has the correct RBT parachute housing.

b/n 46 RBT housing;

ztJJRB9.jpg

Early housing looks like this;

PHuwkeS.png

Kit has the top one from what i have seen on the pictures (dont have the kit myself);

kF5EqRp.png

To sum up;

• Intakes OOB - correct for some RBT's (like b/46, but not for 45 for example iirc), check your plane. Wrong for RB, needs to cut away the lip.
  • Intake sensor bump on the side - Depends on the frame, check the one you are building. Never used on RB i believe.
  • Parachute housing OOB - correct for RBT, wrong for RB.
  • Nose OOB - wrong for RBT, dont install the small bumps and fill their space, add a large bump on the underside. Correct for some RB's (?), dont install the small bumps and fill their space in order for be a normal RB.
Edited by Berkut

My bad. I was looking at CADs and it seemed like an early chute housing

1472549731_render-6.jpg

Ha, Berkut, you beat me to posting those same graphics. 

Cheers, 

Dave

2 hours ago, vesthepes said:

My bad. I was looking at CADs and it seemed like an early chute housing

1472549731_render-6.jpg

Oh you are correct in that case, those CADs are indeed having the early parachute housing. Pretty strange, i guess they changed it to the late housing during tooling or the CADs posted are earlier version or something.

On 12/26/2016 at 9:49 AM, Berkut said:

To sum up;

• Intakes OOB - correct for some RBT's (like b/46, but not for 45 for example iirc), check your plane. Wrong for RB, needs to cut away the lip.
  • Intake sensor bump on the side - Depends on the frame, check the one you are building. Never used on RB i believe.
  • Parachute housing OOB - correct for RBT, wrong for RB.
  • Nose OOB - wrong for RBT, need to shave off the small humps, add a large one. Correct for some RB's (?), need to shave off the small humps in order for be a normal RB.

This is useful. So it seems an RBT is easier to pull off with this kit than an RB, predicated on the nose easier to modif into an RBT. Is this so?

Are there pics of RBT paint schemes other than solid gray? I cannot trust the results i am getting with google as some of the  tags seem to be incomplete and i have a hard time visually confirming RBT. So i am looking for anything that may have a two tone gray, or brown/green etc. anything that's not solid gray really. I am quite intrigued by this kit. 

I am excited about the ICM MiG-25, and I hear that ICM might be doing a couple of other variants in 2017?  Anyway, the ICM kit looks far better than the Kitty Hawk MiG-25.  What variant is the Kitty Hawk MiG-25?  Asking because might use the nose parts with the ICM kit as well as the weapons.  Are there any simple side views showing the differences in each variant of the MiG-25?  

Kittyhawk is a PD/PDS, the interceptor variant vice the RBT recon variant from ICM. Interceptors are P, PD, PDS. Recon are R, RB, RBV, RBK, RBT, RBS, RBSh, RR, RBN (I am sure I am missing some, going from memory). Weasel is BM. 

Noses, wings, exhausts, inlets are the major variations between them. You wouldn't be able to graft the ICM nose and pylons on and call it a PD.

Dave

2 hours ago, Janissary said:

This is useful. So it seems an RBT is easier to pull off with this kit than an RB, predicated on the nose easier to modif into an RBT. Is this so?

Are there pics of RBT paint schemes other than solid gray? I cannot trust the results i am getting with google as some of the  tags seem to be incomplete and i have a hard time visually confirming RBT. So i am looking for anything that may have a two tone gray, or brown/green etc. anything that's not solid gray really. I am quite intrigued by this kit. 

Guess it depends on how hard you view making the extra bulge under the nose compared to doing the front end of the intakes and the parabrake housing.

From all the pictures I have dug through so far, the camo birds are all RBFs or BMs. I'll keep looking through my books, but not expecting much for an RBT. 

Dave

1 hour ago, aircal62 said:

Asking because might use the nose parts with the ICM kit as well as the weapons.  Are there any simple side views showing the differences in each variant of the MiG-25?  

That's *really* unlikely.  Or at least, it would be a ton of work.  Basically, none of the pieces will match up - the cross sections are different, the overall dimensions are likely different, and the breakdown is definitely different, so whether you graft on *just* the nose, or replace the entire forward fuselage, it will probably take a huge amount of filling and sanding.  

And at the end of the day, the KH nose is kinda terrible anyway, so if you're going to go to all that work, you'd be better off using the Barracuda or CWS replacements.

And that's just the nose.  You'd still have to extend the wings, replace the exhausts and make dozens of other changes.  I mean, it's plastic, so anything's *possible*, but it's not a simple matter of just swapping a couple of parts.  You'd be much better off waiting for ICM to release a proper interceptor kit, which they have apparently confirmed is in the works.  

As for side views...  they're not really annotated, but this page has a bunch of profiles pulled from various books on the Foxbat.

Edited by MoFo

41 minutes ago, HomeBe said:

A dedicated MiG-25RBT correct resin nose set is in design by Cold War Studio.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ColdWarStudiodetails/posts/1205070102922856

No automatic alt text available.

V.P.

That didn't take long for someone to start...

And then you can swap the camera pallet with the ES pallet and make an RBF. I assume we will see a couple different pallets from them and probably a nose for a BM? So many choices... Sorry, got lost in my head for a bit.

Edited by parche

I started roughing in the bulge on mine. 2 pieces of .020 styrens so far. I figure a couple of layers of putty and some rescribing should do the trick.

DSC_8338-422x450.jpg

Looking forward to the finished product, Dylan.

Cheers, 

Dave

8 hours ago, parche said:

From all the pictures I have dug through so far, the camo birds are all RBFs or BMs. I'll keep looking through my books, but not expecting much for an RBT. 

Thank you. I just found this and wanted to share here in case others are also interested:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234914237-mig-25rbrbt-with-camouflage-heeeeelp/

It seems to corroborate what you just said.

13 hours ago, parche said:

And then you can swap the camera pallet with the ES pallet and make an RBF.

Sorry that would not be possible. The RBF had a different nose, not only a different pallet! The RBK and RBF were from a different family of Foxbats from the RBV and RBT derivatives! A new nose was designed for the systems in the RBK / RBF aircraft!

Best regards

Gabor

39 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Sorry that would not be possible. The RBF had a different nose, not only a different pallet! The RBK and RBF were from a different family of Foxbats from the RBV and RBT derivatives! A new nose was designed for the systems in the RBK / RBF aircraft!

Best regards

Gabor

Of course you are correct. Wasn't considering the re-scribing for the longer nose cone and other panel changes. Overall shape would still be good from the drawings and pictures I look at though, right?

Dave

10 hours ago, Janissary said:

Thank you. I just found this and wanted to share here in case others are also interested:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234914237-mig-25rbrbt-with-camouflage-heeeeelp/

It seems to corroborate what you just said.

Got through all my books and pics and the only non-RBF or BM in camo was a single poor shot of an RBS.

Dave

I think I got the shape down, just some mr surfacer and a little clean up then it should be done.

DSC_8339-279x450.jpg

I just finished correcting the nose area.

Please be noticed that not ONLY the bulge you need to add, but also you need to flat the right side light panel to smooth, then add some panel lines with rivets.

Pictures could tell more easily:

5342672820161230134741048.jpg?1279x621_1

5342672820161230134802035.jpg?1279x758_1

After several rounds of reshape/sanding, scribe the panel lines then spray the surfacer for check.

To be honest I'm still not satisfied enough about the result since the bulge seems too narrow.

But since it's underneath, I chose to live with it somehow.

5342672820161230134819012.jpg?1221x575_1

5342672820161230134842093.jpg?1200x575_1

5342672820161230134913048.jpg?1248x894_1

5342672820161230134945078.jpg?1203x877_1

wow that looks fantastic. what are you using to rescribe your panel lines? they look amazing.

2 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Yufei !!! - welcome back.

Where have you been ???

Great work (as usual) on that nose. :worship:

Ken

Indeed!

i'm also more than happy to see you again here!

Dedicated kabuki masks sets in progress by New Masks Ware

Source: http://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/indexmasks.htm

- ref. NWAM0085 - 1/48 MiG-25 RBT BASIC kabuki masks aircraft canopy, wheels

- ref. NWAM0086 - 1/48 MiG-25 RBT ADVANCED kabuki masks aircraft canopy including window seals, wheels, a lot of aircraft exterior masks

- ref. NWAM0085 - 1/48 MiG-25 RBT EXPERT kabuki masks aircraft canopy including window seals and inner masks, wheels, a lot of aircraft exterior masks

nwam0087man.jpg

V.P.

Edited by HomeBe