Fantastic Plastic 1/48 X-37B

I'm building the Fantastic Plastic 1/48 X-37B.

According to the USAF:

Mission

The X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle, or OTV, is an experimental test program to demonstrate technologies for a reliable, reusable, unmanned space test platform for the U.S. Air Force. The primary objectives of the X-37B are twofold: reusable spacecraft technologies for America's future in space and operating experiments which can be returned to, and examined, on Earth.

Features

The X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle is the newest and most advanced re-entry spacecraft. Based on NASA's X-37 design, the unmanned OTV is designed for vertical launch to low Earth orbit altitudes where it can perform long duration space technology experimentation and testing. Upon command from the ground, the OTV autonomously re-enters the atmosphere, descends and lands horizontally on a runway. The X-37B is the first vehicle since NASA's Shuttle Orbiter with the ability to return experiments to Earth for further inspection and analysis, but with an on-orbit time of 270 days, the X-37B can stay in space for much longer.

The kit's fairly simple:

x37b-start0_zpsvgovd5gk.jpg

The wheel wells are featureless

x37b-start1_zpsply1qlsl.jpg

With a lack of available references, I'll add detail based on the Space Shuttle's wheel wells, like here.

This photo and others suggests the wheels are OK but the landing gear need replacement

x37b-start4_zpsjgpkci5p.jpg

Very interesting. This thing lands at Vandenberg AFB, which is about 10 minutes from my house. I heard it's (very mini) sonic boom last time it popped in here. Since this is "close to home" for me, and something that I've been following, this would be something I'd be interested in building. Hope you keep this updated! :)

Done with the landing gear!

Here's the nose with 0.4m lead wire for brake and steering hydraulics

x37b-nlg-new1_zpsa0otkwav.jpg

Here's what the mains should look like:

mlg_zpsrns5yzih.png

Fortunately, I was able to pull the resin on that goofy square rob. Here's kit and scratch:

x37b-mlg1_zpspeg7lwmx.jpg

Another view of the new par

x37b-mlg2_zpsmm8z7wjx.jpg

Writing this post, I noticed I had routed the lead wire incorrectly, so I fixed as shown here

x37b-mlg5_zpstcgvuktg.jpg

It will be interesting mounting the mains, as they need to slant aft 10° and outboard 15°.

She's all epoxied up. As you can see, it's pretty small!

x37b-assembled0_zps9jeqf13f.jpg

x37b-assembled1_zpsg2i20d9j.jpg

PB seems to be a basket case tonight. Had lots of problems uploading and ended up with multiple copies. The extra copies refuse to be deleted; they come right back after the page is refreshed.

Edited by dnl42
  • 3 weeks later...

It is small. Here it is after two prime coats with filling and rescribing between. I lifted it to about the right height; that's Charles Lindbergh standing next to it. :)

x37b-primed0_zpssi7pbwvs.jpg

x37b-primed1_zpsncg7whlc.jpg

I noticed that some visually prominent detail around the equipment bay hinge isn't quite right. This is what it's 'sposed to look like:

x37b-hinge-actual_zpspybbbcj8.jpg

And here's the kit representation

x37b-hinge-before_zpsukszffgc.jpg

I'll fix this by rescribing the panels above and below the hinges; the two end panels look about right. I may need to fix that lone panel below the hinges, too.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks! I found a couple of misses in the painting, so had to correct them over this past week. I'm in the middle decals now, and hope to be done this week.

I decided to do this one in-flight. I found a good photo of the Earth that I'll use as a base image.

Fixed some painting misses and the decals are on! The JBOT decals went on quite nicely. It still needs the clear coat, with dead flat above and semi-gloss heat tiles.

x37b-decaled0_zps89njgon8.jpg

x37b-decaled1_zpsjn6uukmt.jpg

While I liked my new landing gear, it was still fiction...just better fiction :)/>

So, I decided to mount this. I'm going to mount the picture below on a black base and float the aircraft above on an acrylic rod.

sun_planet_earth_space_galaxy_small_zpsltjivc6k.jpg

I've got most of my materials (trimmed photo, painted base, felt bottom) ready; just need the acrylic rods to arrive.

x37b-base-parts_zpsiu1zjwe5.jpg

I checked out Ken Middleton's article on display bases in Tools 'n' Tips. But, I have some questions.

Should I punch a hole in the photo before I mount it or just drill through the mounted photo?

Should I paint the inside of the hole black to avoid seeing the wooden base?