The best US airshow to see

Hi guys, I am trying to plan a trip to the USA and I would like to include an airshow. I have been many times in winter for snowboarding trips but this one will be in summer.

I am mostly interested in Military aircraft so I would like to try and see the Blue Angels and The Thunderbirds at the same show. Also heritage flights (I would LOVE to see the Phantom flying, demos and things like that. Anything else is a bonus. I love aerobatics and anything interesting. Would anyone have recommendations on what show/s to visit?

Thank you for the help.

Tom

This year at air venture in Oshkosh, WI they will host the Canadian snow birds. They usually have a good variety of military displays. Old and new everything from WWII to now.

I agree, "Oshkosh" is in my opinion the best overall airshow. They usually will have a wide variety of military, warbirds, antique and classic aircraft and general aviation. The afternoon airshow is usually highlighted by some of the best in the business. The warbirds show is usually pretty awesome. Also, the night airshows are something to see, along with the awesome firework show. If you do plan on going, highly suggest you become a member of EAA, it will save you money at the gate. If you enjoy camping, EAA members can camp at Camp Scholler, which is right next to the field. I think one of the best things about Oshkosh, is that while it is attended by thousands of people, you never really notice it because of the size of the grounds.

As for the Blues and T-Birds, I don't think that they fly at the same show together anymore. Both there schedules can be found online.

If you want to catch the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds on your visit, here's an option:

The Thunderbirds are at Lakeland FL for Sun N' Fun (a great all around airshow itself, with Warbirds, tactical jet demos etc.) on April 9-10.

From there, you could take a day and drive on over to Pensacola and catch one of their practice airshows on the following Tuesday or Wednesday. Also, the Naval Aviation museum is right there on the base which is a great museum.

I think the only time you'll see them both together is when they do their annual visits to each others respective home bases. They alternate each year typically. Unfortunately, these are not airshows open to the general public but if you got a buddy who has base access, then maybe they can bring you as a guest.

If you want to catch the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds on your visit, here's an option:

The Thunderbirds are at Lakeland FL for Sun N' Fun (a great all around airshow itself, with Warbirds, tactical jet demos etc.) on April 9-10.

From there, you could take a day and drive on over to Pensacola and catch one of their practice airshows on the following Tuesday or Wednesday. Also, the Naval Aviation museum is right there on the base which is a great museum.

I think the only time you'll see them both together is when they do their annual visits to each others respective home bases. They alternate each year typically. Unfortunately, these are not airshows open to the general public but if you got a buddy who has base access, then maybe they can bring you as a guest.

Sounds like a great way to see both teams. Years ago when I visited the Thunderbird hangar at Nellis I was told they and the Blue Angels are not allowed to be at the same airshow in order to maximize both teams' exposure to the public.

Hi guys, I am trying to plan a trip to the USA and I would like to include an airshow. I have been many times in winter for snowboarding trips but this one will be in summer.

I am mostly interested in Military aircraft so I would like to try and see the Blue Angels and The Thunderbirds at the same show. Also heritage flights (I would LOVE to see the Phantom flying, demos and things like that. Anything else is a bonus. I love aerobatics and anything interesting. Would anyone have recommendations on what show/s to visit?

Thank you for the help.

Tom

Dayton, OH has one in the summer. It's rather large and I think you would enjoy this. Chicago's Air and Water Show is really amazing as well, though you would sacrifice the static exhibits while gaining a nice fresh water beach spot :D I will admit that Chicago is a bit crowded and the water is in the 50s, so consider that.

The last and final air show I want to recommend for the summer is Chino's annual warbird show. It is VERY limited in modern aircraft, so no Harriers, Raptors, Lightning IIs or other staples. I did catch an F-16 and C-17 at this show however. The best part of the Chino show is the VAST quantity of WWII birds. They cater to photographers so they'll make a few slow passes at favorable angles, if that's your thing.

Thank you for the help.

Tom

Dayton, OH has one in the summer. It's rather large and I think you would enjoy this. Chicago's Air and Water Show is really amazing as well, though you would sacrifice the static exhibits while gaining a nice fresh water beach spot :D I will admit that Chicago is a bit crowded and the water is in the 50s, so consider that.

The last and final air show I want to recommend for the summer is Chino's annual warbird show. It is VERY limited in modern aircraft, so probably not many modern staples. I did catch an F-16 and C-17 at this show however. The best part of the Chino show is the VAST quantity of WWII birds. They cater to photographers so they'll make a few slow passes at favorable angles, if that's your thing.

Just saw that Miramar is now in the summer, so I obviously recommend that. It's a great show you won't find matched anywhere. It's full of heritage flights and stuff.

The Reno Air races are still alive and kicking. I've been going for forty years and wouldn't miss it for anything.

There is no other place in the world where you will see 3000 plus horsepower P-51's, Bearcats, and other assorted warbirds travelling at 500 mph, 50 feet off the deck wing tip to wing tip.

This year the Blue Angels will be there as well.

Miramar Airshow

http://miramarairshow.com/

Yes! Been every year since 2008 (except for the sequestration year). Excellent show. Oshkosh is on my bucket list as well.I've been to Aviation Nation (Nellis AFB, NV) twice, and that's a stellar show as well.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Its almost impossible to get the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels at the same show. It requires DOD approval, and I've only heard of it occurring 2 or 3 times, in the current budget situation it's not going to happen. As others have said - Aviation Nation. Its scaled back a bit from 5 years ago, but its still amazing, you won't even be able to see everything in two days (and I say this as someone who is only interested in military aircraft).

Edited by Camus272

Sounds like a great way to see both teams. Years ago when I visited the Thunderbird hangar at Nellis I was told they and the Blue Angels are not allowed to be at the same airshow in order to maximize both teams' exposure to the public.

Yeah, they never do regular airshows together.

When I was stationed at NAS Pensacola ('01-'03) they had their annual gathering there one season...and they also had the Snowbirds and Golden Knights. That was a heck of a fun couple of days. The Thunderbirds brought along 3 extra "D" models and the Blues flew both of their "Bs" in their performances in order to give each other rides. Some real unique looking diamond formations.

Chicago is crowded on the beach, if you could get a spot in a hotel or building nearby that would be best, but heres the worst part, I have tried for years to get a "schedule" of any kind to no avail, os you have no idea when a raptor or B-2 will show and have to sit there all day wondering and seeing stuff you dont want to see