Hi guys, following are several shots of a Hasegawa Bf109 F-4 Trop kit that I recently completed. I added an Aires AM cockpit, and brass barrel tips, but the rest of the build is oob. The resin Marseilles figure came with the kit. I wanted to represent the aircraft as fairly faded; this being a common occurrence in the North African desert. The plane represents one that Marseilles flew circa May-June 1942, and is shown shortly after he had obtained his 100th aerial victory. The base is a simple piece of wood that I routered the edges of, varsinished and than applied a plaster mix to. The stones are cat litter.

OA15_zps3szm27wr.jpg

OA13_zpsoc6jzli2.jpg

OA11_zpssh2iw96m.jpg

Pit6_zps2borkss2.jpg

Pit5_zpsqncq6nom.jpg

Pit3_zpsaygtdc0z.jpg

Mid2_zpsb8dro8fi.jpg

Detail2_zps2nemkurm.jpg

Prop1_zpsnwdxhzf2.jpg

OJM3_zpsiowg4fql.jpg

Very nice 14 you have there :) For some reason I especially like the weathering of the prop blades. Will try to copy that on my next 109 ;) How did you create the isolators on the antenna?

Also, very clean work on the nose area! I built that kit, too, and it was a little struggle for me to get it all clean there.

I would love to see the faded paintjob in a different lighting setup. I think your lamp "overpowers" the paintjob in the images a bit.

Edited by ChrisRRR

Hi Chris, thank you for the kind words. I used Microscale Crystal Clear dabbed on the antenna line using a toothpick. I took the photos last week and since then I have painted the insulators white, making them look much more realistic as that is what the color of them were.

Getting the two seams taken care of that run along the nose is a pretty tough job to get smoothed out perfectly. I did not completely manage to do so, as there is a very faint difference in the curvature of the port and starboard sides. I used the "hairspray technique" for the majority of the chipping effects, supplemented by a silver pencil. The effect turned out pretty well on the prop.

I agree with your comment about the lighting. When I took the photos I wanted to make it look as if the scene was taken in the harsh North African light, and I ended up over doing it a bit. The fact that I was too lazy to setup my photo tent and used my airbrush cabin as an ersatz one probably did not help matters much. I will likely end up shooting new photos, using the tent, in the future.

Sincerely,

Ernest

Very nice 14 you have there :)/> For some reason I especially like the weathering of the prop blades. Will try to copy that on my next 109 ;)/> How did you create the isolators on the antenna?

Also, very clean work on the nose area! I built that kit, too, and it was a little struggle for me to get it all clean there.

I would love to see the faded paintjob in a different lighting setup. I think your lamp "overpowers" the paintjob in the images a bit.