Hellfire missile sent to Cuba

I'm hearing on the radio that an inert Hellfire missile that was supposed to have been sent to Europe was instead shipped to Cuba in 2014 by accident. They're saying Lockheed/Martin first noticed the missile was missing in June of 2014. Has anyone else heard this story? Now they're saying the thawing of relations with Cuba was a back door way of trying to quietly get the missile back.

The story is out on a number of news sites. Seems an inert practice missile was shipped to Spain for use there. When the exercise was finished the shipping company apparently put the missile on a plane to Cuba by mistake. Interesting story.

Cheers, Dave

Said missile is supposed to be an inert. TECH QUESTION:

Does inert missiles have the electronics in them blink.gif ?

Yes, that's the point. But maybe in this case they only got the case. I wouldn't believe that though.

I blame the Air Force.

Umm why?

Said missile is supposed to be an inert. TECH QUESTION:

Does inert missiles have the electronics in them blink.gif ?

Aren't you the ex-ARC member that left in a snit? Welcome back six, this place has been way too serious since you left.

I concur with Trigger, clearly the AF is behind this epic screw up. Need to re-slap those sanctions on Cuba. Right now, there is a 57 Chevy in Havana that has a Hellfire for a hood ornament.

Edited by 11bee

If the Army did it, they would ruin some junior NCO's life as the fall guy, then subject everyone else in the Army to a mandatory stand-down day with mandatory slide shows and sensing sessions. On a weekend. Quarterly.....

If the Army did it, they would ruin some junior NCO's life as the fall guy, then subject everyone else in the Army to a mandatory stand-down day with mandatory slide shows and sensing sessions. On a weekend. Quarterly.....

the recruitment commercials simply leave all the details about joining a pool of fall guys by enlisting hah