Adult Coloring Books vs. Modeling

As most of you know, Adult Coloring Books are becoming the big rage these days and sales of the books and coloring pencils are skyrocketing. According to so-called experts, there are many mental health benefits to coloring, such as follows:

- It takes your mind off the world, which is relaxing, reducing anxiety

- The selection of colors and how they are arranged next to each other creates focus and creativity

- Hand-eye-brain coordination becomes better with practice and patience

- a ton of other stuff if you care to check on the 'net

My wife wanted to buy me one of these books for Xmas, but I declined. As I told her, I already do every single one of these things when I model. Further, I exercise my brain by doing extensive research on my models and when I'm finished, I actually have something to show for all my work that is unique to me. So next time somebody asks you why you model, tell them it's like using a coloring book, but on steroids.

My fiancé enjoys those colering books too.

My dad was once watching the news and saw a report on adult coloring books.

He was very quick to Judge people who would buy that.

That was the point i told him my fiancé used them, but i couldn't Judge her because basically, i play with little plastic planes.

We definitely reap the same benefits from modeling.

My wife is an RN and deals with a lot of Alzheimer patients...I'm willing to bet modeling is a great deterrent.

I hear you. My father died of Alzheimer's and my mother is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's. Guess what I'm thinking?

Whatever floats your boat. It's not something that I would particularly take up but to each their own. Besides, I've heard that not everyone builds, researches, and displays models...I find that hard to believe though... :lol: .

There are lots of good honest hobbies out there to enjoy.

:cheers:

My wife has become addicted to the coloring books..she's got over a dozen. She's a nurse, and says they're a great way to relieve stress and wind down after work. I don't see it as any kind of problem..I think it's great that she's found a new hobby. I don't have any particular interest in them myself, but I've already got plenty of hobbies myself.

I don't get it when people insist on trashing something simply because it doesn't interest them. I find sports boring and pointless, and have zero interest. Doesn't mean I'm gonna attack or insult sports fans, or demand that sports be banned (yes, I understand the value of sports in teaching teamwork and camaraderie, as well as the health benefits..it just doesn't interest me.) I've got co-workers who spend at least an hour every morning engaged in intricate discussions about fantasy football. They might as well be speaking ancient Hebrew as far as I can tell, but they seem to enjoy it so who am I to judge?

SN

My wife has become addicted to the coloring books..she's got over a dozen. She's a nurse, and says they're a great way to relieve stress and wind down after work. I don't see it as any kind of problem..I think it's great that she's found a new hobby. I don't have any particular interest in them myself, but I've already got plenty of hobbies myself.

I don't get it when people insist on trashing something simply because it doesn't interest them. I find sports boring and pointless, and have zero interest. Doesn't mean I'm gonna attack or insult sports fans, or demand that sports be banned (yes, I understand the value of sports in teaching teamwork and camaraderie, as well as the health benefits..it just doesn't interest me.) I've got co-workers who spend at least an hour every morning engaged in intricate discussions about fantasy football. They might as well be speaking ancient Hebrew as far as I can tell, but they seem to enjoy it so who am I to judge?

SN

Where and when, did someone in this thread "trash" colouring books?

When I first heard about this "adult coloring book" trend I thought... "oh really?" :coolio:/>

I'm sure of some enterprising individual (someone with no shame of course) could develop those and make a killing. You know there would be a market for them.

When I first heard about this "adult coloring book" trend I thought... "oh really?" :coolio:/>

I realized later it was just coloring books with nicely inked drawings instead of cartoons and/or Disney characters. :doh:/>

Google "ruin a coloring book". They're amazing.

I was in Canada's big book chain before Xmas to pick up a couple of modelling magazines and stopped at a table containing dozens of these coloruring books (my sister-in-law had an expressed an interest in them). A clerk came up and tried to do a sales job on me about how great they were. I looked at her and pointed at the cover of the magazine and said, "I build these and they require far more work, give me far greater satisfaction in the end and require skills far greater then watching to make sure you don't colour outside the lines."

Adult coloring books? So the implication here is the Star Wars coloring book I'm working on now isn't for adults? Crap...oh look R2D2...where's my blue.

I agree why do they have to be coloring books for adults? I had no problem going to Walmart and getting a coloring book from the Disney movie Planes that was for kids. Hey it even came with some cool stickers...

Lets just hope this doesn't lead to posts about the best way to color, shading lines or etc.. :woot.gif: