1/72 Airfix A-4B/P kit

G'day people,

I vaguely recall that there may have been an issue with the size (length?) of the external tanks supplied. I want to build some Argentine A-4s (B/C/P), will I need to modify or replace the external tanks provided?

Alley Cat make a pair of replacement 1/72 tanks for early USN A-4B/Cs, are these smaller tanks also applicable to the Argentine jets?

cheers,

Pappy

Airfix's tanks are too straight to my eyes, the real thing was rather 'bulged' all over while the kit items have a too straight center section.

I can't say much about the Alley Cat tank - I will replace mine with spare Fujimi ones. The Argentine Skyhawks used the 300 gallon Aero 1D.

For more on the Aero series, see the excellent Tailhook topics site.

HTH,

Andre

All three tanks in the Airfix kit are wrong. While they are all supposed to represent the same tank (with/without tail), the centerline one is shorter and the underwing ones have a cylindrical center section which renders them completely inaccurate.

Check here to see my correction of the wing tanks (scroll down about 1/3rd):

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_Falklands_30th_GB_f4h1phantom_s_1_72_A_4B_Skyhawk_about34547.html

Jorge.

PS: gotta finish that thing! :cheers: