The PC Gaming Thread

We all like planes, many of us have military service.... how many of us are PC gamers?

I play a lot of shooters and flight sims, as well as some of the Total War games.

I care less about gaming histories and more about what you have right now.

My favorite games currently are Il-2 Sturmovik with the SAS mods, DCS World, Dying Light, Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 and Insurgency.

Rising Storm and Insurgency are particularly interesting for me because there are a lot of other vets who use team tactics. It's all very fun and I want to know if any of you have these and would like to join me for a match at some point.

Thanks

Most of my flight sims are gathering dust. Learning curve to steep for the limited time I have and if you don't play often, you get rusty.

I still dabble with Rise Of Flight (don't need to memorize what key is for track while scan mode in order to fly a Fokker D.VII). I also play a few of the Combat Mission games (both WW2 and the modern US Army versions). Mostly I play Team Fortress 2, great way to chillax after the wife and kids have gone to bed.

Edited by 11bee

Falcon 4.0 BMS and Microsoft Flight Simulator. I particularly enjoy the Level-D 767 and PMDG 747-400.

I had the PMDG 737 (first version, not the NG), thought it was a great sim. I read somewhere that more than a few airline pilots used this program as a basic procedures trainer. How accurate do you feel the PMDG stuff is?

Most of my flight sims are gathering dust. Learning curve to steep for the limited time I have and if you don't play often, you get rusty.

I still dabble with Rise Of Flight (don't need to memorize what key is for track while scan mode in order to fly a Fokker D.VII). I also play a few of the Combat Mission games (both WW2 and the modern US Army versions). Mostly I play Team Fortress 2, great way to chillax after the wife and kids have gone to bed.

11bee, I forgot to mention that one! I got that one when it first released... it was no good. But it's since grown into a quite powerful monster. I love not having to go through all the procedural stuff but I hate the slow trips to the front, and maybe finding a victim or not.

I'm an avid player in Aces High.

How is Aces High? Is it considered a "realistic" sim ie - aircraft have decent handling properties, don't have P-51's that could out-maneuver an F-22, etc?

I used to play Warbirds years ago, great selection of aircraft and it was quite enjoyable. There were some really talented folks out there.

I had the PMDG 737 (first version, not the NG), thought it was a great sim. I read somewhere that more than a few airline pilots used this program as a basic procedures trainer. How accurate do you feel the PMDG stuff is?

Well, I don't fly a Boeing so I can't say for sure, but using real world procedures and profiles works in the PMDG equipment. It's very realistic (to me). Of course the platform (Flight Simulator) has its limitations, but for what it is PMDG and Level-D have made wonderful products.

I'm hooked on World of Warships at the moment! Other than that I used to play FSX quite a lot but it got less interesting as my real world flying increased. I like real time strategy games like Men of War, as well as WWI/WWII flight sims. Rise of flight is great, I'm just hoping for a new B-17 or B-24 sim, with proper mission planning and crew manipulation. Memphis Belle II was good, but is well dated by now.

Ken

Same here. Started in flight sims with Red Baron on a Mac in 1992. Have IL-2 and FSX, but have pretty much had to give them up as they left me dizzy for hours afterward. So I gravitated to shooters - anything with stealth and a scifi, dystopian or alternate reality theme.

Out of the 170 games on my Steam account, favorites I've replayed over and over are the Crysis series, Dead Space series, Deus Ex:Human Revolution, Dishonored and the Bioshock series.

Looking forward to Dishonored 2, Deus Ex:Mankind Divided, Cyberpunk 2077 (by the Witcher folks) in 2016/17.

The basement is too cold for modelling, so currently having a blast with Fallout 4 and CoD:Black Ops III.

bob

sierrascale

As for sims, my all time fav is Jane's F/A-18. Nowadays for some casual flying, I do SF2. Among my favourites are C&C series games, I often play Heroes of Might and Magic III with my wife, quite the time sink ;) Love the Fallout games... in fact, i'm of to play F4 :D

Cheers guys!

That's been my problem. I've been trying to get into the BMS mod for Falcon, but it just seems like such a steep learning curve that I haven't had the time to dedicate to learning it. I've even thought of finding someone online and just paying them to get me up and running on it as quickly as possible :).

It looks like an amazing experience, though. The DCS stuff is coming along nicely, but I've always had a soft spot for the F-16 and the dynamic campaign of Falcon 4. What the BMS guys have done with the sim is amazing, but it's adding to the complexity of learning it because my Warthog and G13 setup don't work with the most recent changes, so I have to get that figured out too.

How is Aces High? Is it considered a "realistic" sim ie - aircraft have decent handling properties, don't have P-51's that could out-maneuver an F-22, etc?

I used to play Warbirds years ago, great selection of aircraft and it was quite enjoyable. There were some really talented folks out there.

The flight models are excellent and realistic without the need for complex aircraft management systems seen in other sims. Warbitds is an excellent example as both games are coded by the same guy.

Same here. Started in flight sims with Red Baron on a Mac in 1992. Have IL-2 and FSX, but have pretty much had to give them up as they left me dizzy for hours afterward. So I gravitated to shooters - anything with stealth and a scifi, dystopian or alternate reality theme.

Out of the 170 games on my Steam account, favorites I've replayed over and over are the Crysis series, Dead Space series, Deus Ex:Human Revolution, Dishonored and the Bioshock series.

Looking forward to Dishonored 2, Deus Ex:Mankind Divided, Cyberpunk 2077 (by the Witcher folks) in 2016/17.

The basement is too cold for modelling, so currently having a blast with Fallout 4 and CoD:Black Ops III.

bob

sierrascale

Well PC gaming started for me in 1994... at the age of 8. My dad brought home a 486/66 preloaded with Aces Over Europe. It was also at the time we bought our first World Book set. Eventually I learned that Aces Over Europe was historical and the combination of AOE and World Book Encyclopedia opened the doors for learning for me. In an age where people say computer gaming has a corrosive effect on the youth, I can honestly say it changed my life for the better by opening my mind and granting historical perspective.

That's been my problem. I've been trying to get into the BMS mod for Falcon, but it just seems like such a steep learning curve that I haven't had the time to dedicate to learning it. I've even thought of finding someone online and just paying them to get me up and running on it as quickly as possible :)/>.

It looks like an amazing experience, though. The DCS stuff is coming along nicely, but I've always had a soft spot for the F-16 and the dynamic campaign of Falcon 4. What the BMS guys have done with the sim is amazing, but it's adding to the complexity of learning it because my Warthog and G13 setup don't work with the most recent changes, so I have to get that figured out too.

I'll tell ya, as much as I whine about steep learning curves, the payback is pretty high when you finally master the sim (or even just a task). It was a great feeling the first time I "flew" the PMDG 737 on a full flight, Boston to Orlando. I recreated a flight I took with my family a few weeks before. Same flight plan, departure, arrival sequence, add-on ATC, airports and traffic. Everything from starting with a dark aircraft to shutting down at the gate was by the book. Pretty cool (yes, I am a nerd). Same thing with F4 when you make it through a BVR fight and use all the available radar modes. Same thing the first time I realized I could consistently "trap" in Janes F/A-18 Superhornet. Problem is that if you don't play them regularly, your skills atrophy.

I'll have to check out Aces High, sounds interesting. Always more fun going up against another human instead of an AI flown target.

Have you been on Rise of Flight recently? I did a bit of online flying in the last couple days and I'm satisfied with my results. I've won about all of my 1v1s, though I don't think I've won any of the 1 v multiples. Not bad for being in an Albatros!

I've been a PC gamer since Christ decided that short pants suited his style, my preference has always been combat sims, from Falcon (before X.X was invented) to X-Plane.

I was so into combat flight sims that I accepted a 3 month posting to the U.S. in the hope of getting a copy of Spectrum Holobytes A-10....

These days, I reserve my PC gaming time for WoT and X-Plane (in a virtual airline) and prefer to play sillier games on my mobile telephonic devices:)

Did you play the final release of the game though?

Ive only really have one modern game I play, all the rest are a mismash of some rather old titles now, some dating back to the 1990s.

World of Tanks, played it since the early beta days on the RU server, it got better and better over time as more features were added, more vehicles were added and all manner of other things added to the game its no longer anything like the original beta game days, it looks, feels and plays like a different game.

I used to pay for premium account when I was on the RU server but I asked them if it was possible to transfer my account to the EU server, they said it wasnt, I tried to continue to play it but the lag got worse so I ditched the account went to EU server and havent paid a penny for it since, and still managed to get to tier 10 in most of the German lines, but I only play the German tanks on there, I used to play the others but I like the German line most, it was the reason I started to play the game after all.