Detailing Trumpeter's 1/32 Bearcat

Well, After finishing the Hurricane, I decided I wanted something nice and simple to do. Ha! Gotcha, I've decided to build Trumpeter's 1/32 Bearcat. The Bearcat is hands down one of my favorite piston driven fighters, second to the Spitfire Vb. After having a good look over at this kit, I've decided it will probably be one of my hardest projects yet. After seeing that P&W r2800 Double Wasp engine, I decided I was gunna try my hand at some superdetailing. I'll probably just settle for detailing, but you know what I mean. Not to much to show right now, So here's some inspiration to tide ya'll over. Hope to have something to show you in the coming days.

3010_bearcat_a.jpg

Thanks for looking! I'll actually have something to show soon!

Cheers,

Edited by Banana11000
I built this kit and it was a pleasure to build. Seams were minimal and almost no filler needed. Also a great platform for some custom details. Feel free to check out my build here https://flic.kr/s/aHskaJG4sH You will enjoy this one! I look forward to following it :)/>

Adamn,

That's one HECK of a cat you got yourself there! Great finish on it! 🙂

Cheers,

Edited by Banana11000
I like the Bearcat a lot too actually. I look forward to seeing what you do with it. I assume the Wasp is the same as the one in the P-47 kit. It'a actually pretty nice engine. Some wiring will go a long way.

You and me both mate XD, It's one hell of an engine, just chomping at the bit to get started on it!

Hello

Nice subject!

I also built mine a couple years ago:

http://www.arcforums...howtopic=284220

Have fun!

Roamin,

That Bearcat is absolutely STUNNING! I'm a heavy weathering man myself, so it's right up my ally. I love the way the chipping was done and the dirt accumulated around the wings. Did you use oil or pigment for it?

Cheers,

🙂

Edited by Banana11000

Thanks Colin!

As for the dust I used pigments.

You can have some WIP pics here:

http://s545.photobucket.com/user/romainfleche/library/Bearcat?sort=3&page=7

If you want to build a heavily weathered Bearcat, then french markings are spot on .

They had very rough times over Indochina.

Here are some reference pics:

http://www.frenchwings.net/indochina/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9

Cheers!

Romain

Thanks Colin!

As for the dust I used pigments.

You can have some WIP pics here:

http://s545.photobuc...t?sort=3&page=7

If you want to build a heavily weathered Bearcat, then french markings are spot on .

They had very rough times over Indochina.

Here are some reference pics:

http://www.frenchwin...ils.php?album=9

Cheers!

Romain

Thanks for the references Romain! I'm definitely doing a French cat, but the question is, how dirty should I make this Birdy? :)

Cheers,

Colin :)

Well guys, It's that time of the day. Update time!

I thought I'd left you hanging long enough, so here's some stuff to look at.

The engine is done mostly out of the box, all the wiring is scratch though. The blumbing? No that's the kit stuff. I had a really hard time getting it all to line up properly, but it looks half decent to me. Not worthy of getting displayed without the cowling, but I'll be leaving some panels open for sure.

IMG_1748_zpsl26vtntb.jpg

IMG_1760_zpsadnwfhya.jpg

IMG_1761_zpsd8ydhbay.jpg

IMG_1762_zpsmxh2w0hr.jpg

IMG_1763_zps3htflt7h.jpg

I also started work on what's going on behind the engine. Haven't done any of the detail painting or weathering yet. Half the parts ain't on too. This is just what I got so far... touchups of course, will be done ;)

IMG_1764_zpsgjimaed9.jpg

I also started some of the scratch building work on the next bulkhead. I haven't been able to do much to it yet, most of the tubing and stuff will have to be done once the engine is mounted to the fuselage, and that bulkhead too XD

IMG_1758_zpsapfkynxa.jpg

IMG_1759_zpsi2lnfwnp.jpg

More in a sec

I also gave the load out some attention. First time I'm putting any ordinance on an aircraft

IMG_1753_zps9nnjmfzl.jpg

IMG_1754_zpsc2gw1cjp.jpg

Note the incriptions are "Tojo Eats Spam" and "To Charlie from Uncle Sam" I was originoally planning on having this be an american show bird, with bombs from both Vietnam and Ww2. I'll have to change that to some French stuffs :)

IMG_1755_zpsyzt1gxx9.jpg

IMG_1756_zps8irdjwxv.jpg

I also did a wee bit of prop stuff :)

IMG_1757_zpsajmlxwph.jpg

Well, that's all for now. Not much I know, but there will be more to come!

Thanks for taking a look! And advice or criticisms are appreciated and encouraged!

Also, just on a closing note, does anyone know what the interior colours of this thing would be? I've been having a HECK of a time trying to find it. I've got either white, zinc chromate, interior green, or black for the interior, and navy gloss blue for the gear.

Also anyone have some alternative a views of the section just behind the engine? I haven't been able to find any and don't want to fabricate it :(

9435266592_e8466f027c_b.jpg

Alrighty, thanks for reading,

That's all for REAL now.

Cheers,

Adamn,

That's one HECK of a cat you got yourself there! Great finish on it! :)/>

Cheers,

Colin

Thanks Colin! Looks like yours is coming along great! I also had a hard time finding pics of behind the skin. From the pics I dug up they were a bit of zinc green and some silver. I found more pics of the green for the American ones and the French ones more silver I believe. Look forward to seeing how she comes together 👍🏻

Very nice detailing work Colin!

Concerning the inner colors, I had to make choices... For a french plane, it is not so evident wich colors were applied...

Have fun!

Thanks Colin! Looks like yours is coming along great! I also had a hard time finding pics of behind the skin. From the pics I dug up they were a bit of zinc green and some silver. I found more pics of the green for the American ones and the French ones more silver I believe. Look forward to seeing how she comes together

Very nice detailing work Colin!

Concerning the inner colors, I had to make choices... For a french plane, it is not so evident wich colors were applied...

Have fun!

Thanks Guys! Looks like I'll probably just end up winging the colours :)/>

Update to come soon I hope!

Cheers,

Edited by Banana11000
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, Sorry it's been such a long time since the last update. I've had a pretty interesting last week in a bit. Was in the hospital again for a while, got some less than favorable news from my doctors. Then my girlfriend of 3 years decided to cheat on me with my best friend. So life has defiantly been getting in the way of my modeling to say the least. But that's certainly one thing that's been going right. I got two more commissions last night, 2 Piper Super cubs, one with floats. So I'll be posting some threads of those in the coming weeks. I also finally got a shipment of Styrene from Tower Hobbies that I ordered a while back. Got bout 30 sheets of assorted styrene now, so no more having to be so creative with scratch materials. Did an inventory of my stash as well today. Usually I have one or two kits in the stash, but since starting doing commissions, I've got 19 kits in the stash! Bloody hell! Also the Bearcat is coming along splendidly, so off we go to that!

Here's a picture of the stash. Wonder how many years it'll take to finish em? :)/>

oXkZSkE.jpg

Here's all the styrene that came today. I'm one happy fella!

DqAXyT2.jpg

Right then here we go!

I pretty much finished off the office, and the engine. Right behind the engine is still being worked on.

9OFRIbz.jpg

I took one look at the seatbelts provided by Trumpeter, and nearly died. I just tossed em, and made em with paper.

UuynZWe.jpg

After that, I decided to do some work on the shaping of the cowling. Like every Bearcat kit, the cowling isn't nearly correct. The shape is more like a wildcat. So I took a seat in front of the telly, and 4 episodes of Law and Order later and I had something that remotely resembles a Bearcat.

YqWobM6.jpg

mEjHz7z.jpg

Then I did something a little crazy. After looking a a few pictures of Bearcats with open panels, I realized the panel showing behind the engine was pure fiction. So I cut out the correct panel size, and also the exhaust panel, just for shits and giggles.

ftZvvIJ.jpg

Dremels, great thing, aren't they?

oXuOlDz.jpg

Then I constructed the attachment parts that were left out of the kit. I also added some styrene where the panel should be covered, as with all the pictures I have seen so far, there's no random indent there..

lj9aVdH.jpg

HyvoxxX.jpg

More to come in a sec

Edited by Banana11000

YKlBN2a.jpg

Some more shots of the cockpit and stuff

mTkEHZi.jpg

r6g7iAX.jpg

8BTHIc8.jpg

8SYIJhI.jpg

I also decided to rescribe and rivet the entire aircraft. I like that Trumpeter made the effort to rivet the aircraft, but it was kind of upsetting to see that the surface is just covered in giant holes. I'm re-scribing it because the panel lines are a little soft for my taste.

So I started re-scribing the wing today.

VUXaZuG.jpg

Well, that's all guys. Hopefully I'll have a little more soon and not in like half a month. Sorry bout that!

Till next time,

Looking great!! How do u go about making those seatbelts?? They look amazing?

Thanks Adam! I just start with basic strips of regular office paper. The shoulder straps measure 2mm in width, with a varying length. The lap belts are 3mm. Then I usually just layer them to add depth.

Loving the F-14 build by the way!

Cheers,

Edited by Banana11000

Alrighty guys! Update time! Got a bit of a monster today, little pic heavy so bear with me :)/>

I started off today's session with scratchbuilding the cockpit sidewalls. It's pretty rough, but my scratch work is getting better; I hope

FjTSk7y.jpg

I3XE8lk.jpg

Painted up.

PgLwVBa.jpg

AsIWNql.jpg

Then I did the tail gear, and closed up the fuselage. Did some riveting and filling too. After looking at pictures of the real deal, I decided I'd fill the rivets- um potholes- and do some smaller ones. I rescribed the panel lines while I was at it. They were a wee shallow for me tastes.

q1m9PED.jpg

The black is just Taymia panel wash stuff. I've started using it to check lines I've done. (Thanks Chuck! :)/>). As you can see, this one is a little rough. Since the photo I've gone back and fixed it. The rivets were filled with thinned Tamiya basic putty.

J67Q8J9.jpg

Then I turned my attention to the wings. I scratchbuilt the gun bays. The m2's are from the kit though.

s8XexW9.jpg

I closed up the other wing bay.

qyPMkpI.jpg

More in a sec

Then I turned back to the front of the beast. As you can see I had to shim the front panel a bit. It looks rough right now because I filled most of it with superglue, but I can assure you there's no gaps! of course the little clear section will be redone. Probably with styrene. Something a little less of a B**** of work with.

I did the rear stuff too 🙂 and finished up the right wing. Haven't started the gear bays yet, not ready for that trauma :crying2:

Also, note the damadge to the right wingroot. Not sure where this is from and why it's a little green?

Also, I took a crack at adjusting the engine's pitch. On the real thing it doesn't follow the same center-line of the rest of the aircraft. It lists downward about 7-10 degrees I think. May have overdone it a wee bit, not to challenging to correct if that's the case. Wudda think? :woot.gif:

Just a shot of behind the engine. Much more wiring to follow... :doh:

Well, that's all for now, hope you enjoyed! If you've any questions or comments feel free to lemme know!

Till next time,

Cheers,

🙂

Edited by Banana11000
Wow u got quite the beauty bird in the works! Nice work on the wiring behind the engine. I ran outta steam when I started doing some custom stuff in there. Can't wait to see if with a coat of paint 👍🏻

Thanks Adam! I also ran outta steam doing all the wiring and junk. I decided I'd tackle the rest of it once I had the thing painted

Cheers,

Edited by Banana11000

Well, update time once again guys! Little pic heavy again.

I got some paint on the puttycat! sorry, Bearcat ;)

So before painting, I put the landing lights on, I REALLY didn't want to make the same mistake as I did on my Hurricane.

UHvuo1c.jpg

dKY0S7m.jpg

I also finished off the other wing. I used superglue to fill the rivets on this one. My dog and I were getting a little stoned from Taymia's filler. This is the first build I've every used it on though, loving it! But to be honest, I find superglue still does a better job obliterating seams..

BO50utb.jpg

You might be asking yourself, "Colin, why the HELL haven't you done anything with the gear bays!?!" Well, my detailing and wiring patience has dropped like a stone lately, so I'll be detailing those after the painting is done :)

Right then, after a bunch of sanding, and I mean A BUNCH, like 3 hours, I was ready for my first coat of paint! Funny, This build has been a hell of a lot easier than the Hurricane.. A LOT lest sanding too.

tClZbUk.jpg

sBchPLF.jpg

I then started my shading process. It's kinda a modified version of Doog's Black basing. Instead of the spotty application of the basecolour, I do the application in varying tones, usually much lighter than the topcoat. It usually gives a pretty pleasing result.

First colour done

e6Hb1zs.jpg

12 different shades of blue later:

S9hXvTy.jpg

DA9ia5Y.jpg

r8BG5a4.jpg

More to come in a sec! Stay tuned :)