Hi, I'm doing a rework of the Hasbro Falcon -- the big 29-inch, no-play-value one (that toy fans hated but modelers loved) that came out last year, with proportions that match the 32". The diameter of the Hasbro's hull is exactly 3 times bigger than the Bandai's, which brings its scale at 1/48. Just wanted to bring in some elements of the TFA Falcon -- mainly just the dish and docking rings and some sidewall detailing.

So far I've just removed the docking rings and started opening up the windows and making a TFA dish.

62Wq7zr.jpg

The plastic is tough :(/>/> Got lots of cleanup work ahead -- a bit difficult because it's not as sandable as polystyrene.

EVhOceP.jpg

UNNfwS9.jpg

SCEQcwf.jpg

idKepCN.jpg

47wjaup.jpg

BN9Xt3X.jpg

UMAPKtP.jpg

The linear dimensions of the styrene dish are exactly three times that of the Bandai, but just look at the difference in surface area.

DesfaAf.jpg

W4MCCRF.jpg

Hi Mike, thanks! The curvature matches the 32" unfortunately, but since it's huge it's still visually impressive, especially displayed in a steep bank where you don't actually notice the hull curvature as much. Hi Nicholas, I was considering that but thought about enlarging/scratching some Bandai parts for now. Just the dish maybe and the docking rings and some sidewalls. I just wanted to have a big TFA Falcon to display :) I don't know what got into me -- I hated the TFA Falcon at first because of it being CGI but after getting the Bandai I'm starting to like it more.

I'm trying to make some templates to be able to scratchbuild easier and see how parts go together.

nJfA3re.jpg

K41G8Ot.jpg

jEhQy2F.jpg

7IjC08D.jpg

Xj5Drmi.jpg

98ZdCX.gif

An enlarged Bandai. Not too refined but, hey, it's a hack job :)/> And it's gonna be part of a piece of junk, anyway, albeit the fastest :)/> In all honesty, I think there is something amiss with the Bandai rectenna shape. The CGI Falcon seems to have a lower, wider rectenna. I'll try to compare it further with some sreenshots.

O.k. dude I am done following your builds because they make mine look so inadequate and child like! :lol: I am kidding of course as I do enjoy seeing your work. This will be a real treat to follow for sure :thumbsup:.

:cheers:

Don.

Hey, Don, thanks :) I'm actually in a quandary right now. The Bandai seems a bit off in dimensions.

qN6gBnC.jpg

Bandai shape.

kscdtq1.jpg

The movie one is more elongated...

B2jqOdf.jpg

FvyIhlJ.jpg

rQjyX18.jpg

l6X4fFT.jpg

m2wiGIp.jpg

Anyway, I don't want to be wasteful. I'll take this one for what it is -- a Bandai version. I'll finish it first and see if I can make a movie version later on.

Looking really really good!

I don't know if it's so much the proportions of the dish off but rather it looks like the two notches on the sides look to be a bit off from the filming model. On the movie screen shots it looks like they are a little shallower a cut into the rectangle and perhaps a slightly larger diameter? Just from looking at the pics posted here anyway. Hard to say.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Ah, true, Bill. Maybe Bandai got ahold of an earlier version of the ILM digital asset? I wish I could get my hands on good pics of the Launch Bay Falcon. That model seems like a very good reference of the movie version:

QwylSgQ.jpg

oiaIMJQ.jpg

Just look at all that detail on the rectenna stand.

AYM6fvS.jpg

tEt9BTt.jpg

Someday :) A scaled-up Bandai for now :)

7ZE_H8.gif

Hi Nicholas, I've done some casting before but nothing this big. But I can give it a try : ) Hey, Don, thanks!

Tried comparing the Bandai rectenna to the movie Falcon's. There's a bit of difference there : (

kfXEJ0X.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

have to say - nice work so far on that antenna. Your scratch work really is good. Nice, sharp and clean. Something I strive for but never quite get there :)

What program are you using to draw out in 3D? I am just a little unsure on what you do with the picture once you've done it? Do you 3D print it or print out the shape on flat paper and then use it as a template? Forgive my ignorance - might have had a few to many Oz day beers....

What program are you using to draw out in 3D?

Looks like Solidworks to me. Solidworks will let you design a 3D part, then use the 'convert to sheet metal' tool to convert it to a flat template to cut your parts out of sheet stock. I'd assume that's the case here - it's certainly made from styrene sheet/strip/rod, not 3D printed.

Hi Nicholas, I've done some casting before but nothing this big. But I can give it a try : ) Hey, Don, thanks!

Tried comparing the Bandai rectenna to the movie Falcon's. There's a bit of difference there : (

kfXEJ0X.jpg

Great job on this build, keep it up!

Just a note on the above image comparison. I'm not positive but it looks like the angle of the rectenna in the screen shot is not head on so it's obscured quite a bit. If you look at the shadows on the hull (I know it's curved so even that can be misleading) but the dish looks like it's pointing slightly forward in that pic. At least to my eyes.

Bill

Hi Madhatter, MoFo, thanks! :) Yes, I use Solidworks. Sometimes I convert the part to sheet metal and flatten them. Most of the time I just view normal to the surface, take a screenshot, then I just resize it for printing on flat paper as a template for cutting styrene. For smaller, less expensive parts I have them printed at Shapeways -- fun, but can go too deep in your wallet so I still scratch what I can. Hi Bill, yeah, so far I haven't found any real head-on view of the rectenna. But you're right about the notches on the digital asset's dish being shallower and of larger diameter. I should have examined the shots more before building. I was blinded by my eagerness to start cutting and trusted the Bandai rectenna measurements too much -- it looked too good! :)

Up78jbN.jpg