Hasagawa's "new" 1/48 C-21 Learjet

I have a hankering to build a USAF C-21 and was wondering if Hasagawa retooled their Learjet to accurately depict a C-21. I've got a couple of older Lear 35 boxings and was wondering if it would be worth getting the "new" kit as a better starting point. Did they add the missing windows or any of the antennas? I was hoping to find some sprue shots but Google has failed me this time.

TIA,

Dave

Yeah, engines with both types of reversers, nice engines with no reversers, and clear (not smoked) windshield would go a long way to making this a better kit.

A nice set of CJ-610 engines and you could have a Lear 25 (remove the wing extension just inboard of the tip tanks). I've got one on the "to be completed" shelf for 25 years with old IMC/Testors engines.

C2j

Thanks Anton,

Looking at the parts layout, the kit appears to be missing the fairing on the top fuselage even though it is shown in the decal guide. It's strange since that piece was included in the U-36A Learjet J.M.S.D.F. boxing on the clear sprue. Strange.

http://media.defense.gov/2003/Feb/10/2000031093/-1/-1/0/021205-O-9999G-007.JPG

Dave

Edited by SR10user

Your link is to a very nice build. I think the builder did a very good job on simulating/re-creating the thrust reversers on the engines. The only thing that catches my eye is the giant slot that was cut between the inboard side of the reverser and the engine pylon. Look at image 63 on the walk-around link and see that there is no slot.

C2j

• 5 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread, but I am currently building a C-21 and I was curious, on the wing tanks is the landing light in the tip, just on the starboard side or both sides?  I see a lot of pics with it on the starboard but none for the port

Thanks

Typically it’s found only on the right tip tank only. While it is an option to have it on both tips tanks, it (slightly) reduces the fuel capacity of the tanks. Add to that they burned out on the regular, and it is a (relatively) uncommon sight. 

I wasn't aware there was any differences between the civil 35 and the C-21. 

considering the type was bought "off the shelf", I would wager the added window on the C-21 was an option in civil jets.

anyone know where the window was? 

if it was opposite the main door it was likely because the USAF aircraft had a seat in that location and not a galley.

The USAF jets were pretty basic inside, IIRC, they didn't have a galley or toilet. 

I flew in one once...from Andrews AFB to Wright-Patterson...flown by a 4-star general no less...:)

talking about the cabin windows, the Lear 35 have 6 on the right side and 5 on the left side, the lear 36 have 5 on the right side and 4 on the left side, this due to the extra fuel tank aft of the cabin on the lear 36, so hasegawa's model is a Lear 36 on the box not a 35 model

Jorge

The USAF C-21 Lear's have 5 windows on each side.   They deleted the window that would be across from the entry door.  Windows on each side are added above the wings.  The Hasegawa kits are different because they are based on a civilian Learjet.  

You can see in this picture (thanks @82Whitey51) that the window is deleted 

iCBzabjl.jpg

Also, the USAF Museum as a 360 of the interior

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/GR_tour/GR-1.html

• 2 years later...

With Hasegawa about to re-pop the Lear kit, is anyone out there willing to 3D print the correct engines or at least the reversers 🙂 

Still won't solve the window issue, but it would be a step closer... Still want to use Caracal's awesome decals