F-105D Loadout Question

Gents..First of all, Happy New Year.

I'm currently finishing a Trumpeter 1/72 F-105D and it's loadout time. I want to do the typical "going north" load with 6 M-117's on the centerline (borrowed from a Monogram kit), and two 450 gal tanks inboard. The normal load might also include one AIM-9B and one ALQ pod on the outboards. While rummaging through my weapons cache, I found a nice pair of AGM-12B Bullpups.

So herein lies the question. I'd love to mount one or both of the Bullpups on the outer pylons. Is that a possible loadout? Would those pylons hold the larger B version of the AGM-12? Would they mix dumb bombs and the Bullpups? I know its my model and I can do whatever I want, but I'm looking for some guidance that would have been a usable wartime load for the Thud. Thanks in advice[/b].[/font]

I'm currently finishing a Trumpeter 1/72 F-105D and it's loadout time. I want to do the typical "going north" load with 6 M-117's on the centerline (borrowed from a Monogram kit), and two 450 gal tanks inboard. The normal load might also include one AIM-9B and one ALQ pod on the outboards. While rummaging through my weapons cache, I found a nice pair of AGM-12B Bullpups.

So herein lies the question. I'd love to mount one or both of the Bullpups on the outer pylons. Is that a possible loadout? Would those pylons hold the larger B version of the AGM-12? Would they mix dumb bombs and the Bullpups? I know its my model and I can do whatever I want, but I'm looking for some guidance that would have been a usable wartime load for the Thud. Thanks in advice[/b].[/font]

Via,

The AGM 12's would be carried on stations 1 and 5 with a 600 gal (105G type) centerline tank. For stations 2 and 4 the pylons would have to be modified ones similar to the pylons used on the G model to carry the Standard missile. HTH.

:cheers:/>/>

Itch

Edited by Cajun21

I have never seen AGM-12's on the outboards, only inboard with a C/L tank and ecm outboard. Not to say they could not be carried but never saw a 105 carrying one.I don't think they would put bombs one the outboard as it is a standoff weapon and they needed the outboards for ecm. But its your model so you can build it that way.

Bernie McKenna

IMHO, that is 2 different missions. The Bullpups were used to stand off from the target and hit them from a distance. The M117 bombs (and all 'slick' bombs for that matter) were for close in ground attack. The only use of bombs and missiles (ARMs) would be on Wild Weasels, which would hit the radar sites with their Anti Radiation Missiles, and then use the bombs for "mopping up".

That being said, there are pics of F-105s carrying bombs on the centerline, fuel tanks on the inboard pylons and rocket pods on the outer wing pylons.

Also, if you are mounting anything on the centerline, don't forget to add the reinforcing straps that were needed to support the pylon. It's not on the Revell/Monogram kit, and I am pretty sure it's not on the Trumpeter Thunderchief.

Larry

Recce. ..thanks for the info. I got the two reinforcing straps icovered. I realize it's two different missions, so on go the AIM-9 and ALQ pod.