Hello guys,

First GB for 2016, quite timely for a push to get this scheme done after all the time on the shelf.

I don't think there need to much introduction on the Hasegawa kit itself. Just hope it turns out well at the end of the build.

P1010327.jpg

P1010328.jpg

So far what's been done.

P1010330.jpg

No center pylons needed, so holes needs to be covered.

P1010329.jpg

Look forward to seeing this progress. A couple of points regards the Hasegawa instructions for this kit...

1/ The camouflage scheme depicted in the instructions is wrong as they show only two colours, instead it should be a modified version of the Luftwaffe Norm83A scheme using

FS34102 Olive Green

FS34079 Forest Green

FS37038 Black (RAL7021 Schwartzgrun is a good alternative)

I've got the correct scheme drawings as done by the actual artwork designer, I'll send them over to you later tonight.Here's a top shot http://kitmaniac.com/site/wp-content/gallery/rf-egeorge/dsc_0162.jpg

2/ The instructions have the placement of the Star of Macedonia decal wrong, it should be on the Starboard wing on both the upper and lower surfaces.

HTH

Regards

Scott

Another error in the instructions is that they tell you to use parts L4 and L5 at the bottom, near the wingroots. Those are only for Naval F-4's, to attach the launch cables to. Use parts L8 and L9 instead, or just fill the ones you have used now.

Look forward to seeing this progress. A couple of points regards the Hasegawa instructions for this kit...

1/ The camouflage scheme depicted in the instructions is wrong as they show only two colours, instead it should be a modified version of the Luftwaffe Norm83A scheme using

FS34102 Olive Green

FS34079 Forest Green

FS37038 Black (RAL7021 Schwartzgrun is a good alternative)

I've got the correct scheme drawings as done by the actual artwork designer, I'll send them over to you later tonight.Here's a top shot http://kitmaniac.com/site/wp-content/gallery/rf-egeorge/dsc_0162.jpg

2/ The instructions have the placement of the Star of Macedonia decal wrong, it should be on the Starboard wing on both the upper and lower surfaces.

HTH

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott,

Wow!! Thank you for stopping me there. It was something that had crossed my mind when I went through the instructions before the build, it liked didn't seem right from photo references online.

Appreciate the guide from here onwards on especially to get the scheme right.

Pete,

Ok, that's great as well. Thanks for pointing it out. Will get those parts corrected.

If you like you can add sidewinders and on the centerline a recce pod. AFAIK the HAF RFs were updated to use a recce pod, you can find them in the RF-4EJ JASDF boxing.

As Tobik says the RF-4 can carry the ASTAC pod, not sure if all a/c were upgraded but 7847 certainly was. You can buy them separately from KASL Hobbies http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/48753.html or L'Arsenal http://larsenal.com/catalogue/index.php?id_page=6&id_article=1651&ars6624964149=ars6624964149 however in both cases the pylon will need changing, possibly scratched.

I'll post the correct colours and pattern here as well as I'm sure WO Athanasiadis wouldn't mind. Disregard the FS number for the Black, it should read 37038 and not 33038

10.jpg

Edited by scotthldr

Thanks again Scott and Tobik .. Very helpful indeed.

About the ASTAC pod, will try to look into the JASDF boxes that I have, getting aftermarket these days isn't a great option.

Present currency exchange isn't too favourable at the moment.

Build updates:

Got the cockpit all ready.

Fuselage mostly in place.

Pictures coming soon.

Dunno for sure about 48th scale (since I only build 72nd, and that kit only comes with a SLAR pod), but could it be you are talking about the SLAR2000 pod?

The ASTAC bod might be found in a Mirage F1 kit? Or ordered aftermarket here.

Daniël

Edited by Sentry30

Yes, having a RF-4EJ in the stash is a bit like a piece of gold dust. Many modellers don not get attention to that special JASDF plane. Well...hehe

As there are 3 pods on the sprues, there will be still one left for an RF-4EJ build. And so you have the right pylon, too.

Some months back I started that RF project too when the Recce GB was on (but I made a shelf queen...). For this already prepared the TACER pod and AIM-9J inert sidewinders. Wehn you want to add red color: the TACER pods have a protection cover over the "nose" with a RBF flag.

For the colors: here in old Germany we use RAL 7021 black grey (Revell 9 is perfect, also Tamyia 69 NATO black is very good. It is very close to Revell 9, or Xtracolor X262, ModelMaster 2094). After a few month in service it is everything else than BLACK!

The one green is also a RAL color: 6003 olive green and for that we can get Revell 361. I remember Xtracolor has that color too: X261, Model Master 2149

Next the second green: is a FS 34079 - Model Master 1710, Humbrol 116, Xtracolor X 110

I do not know the modelling situation in KL / Malaysia, but I think it is not so different to west java / jakarta, means: looooowwwww...almost no real good hobby shops.

So if you need some paints, esp. Revell, I can send it as an international letter. It is not too expensive, also Revell paint jars are not overpriced here. I can send a total weigth of 500 gr. for 3,70€

For the colors: here in old Germany we use RAL 7021 black grey (Revell 9 is perfect, also Tamyia 69 NATO black is very good. It is very close to Revell 9, or Xtracolor X262, ModelMaster 2094). After a few month in service it is everything else than BLACK!

The one green is also a RAL color: 6003 olive green and for that we can get Revell 361. I remember Xtracolor has that color too: X261, Model Master 2149

Next the second green: is a FS 34079 - Model Master 1710, Humbrol 116, Xtracolor X 110

The colours that Tobik mentions above are those for the Luftwaffe Norm83 scheme, this was the scheme that the jets wore when they were sold onto Greece and they remained in that colours for some considerable time afterwards. When the jets started going through the paint shop they got re painted using the equivalent FS colours(listed above), some(at least two)of the ex Luftwaffe jets got re painted in the Green/Tan SEA scheme. As far as I know there are no RF-4's left flying wearing the orignal 'Luftwaffe' colours.

Yes, having a RF-4EJ in the stash is a bit like a piece of gold dust. Many modellers don not get attention to that special JASDF plane. Well...hehe

As there are 3 pods on the sprues, there will be still one left for an RF-4EJ build. And so you have the right pylon, too.

Some months back I started that RF project too when the Recce GB was on (but I made a shelf queen...). For this already prepared the TACER pod and AIM-9J inert sidewinders. Wehn you want to add red color: the TACER pods have a protection cover over the "nose" with a RBF flag.

I do not know the modelling situation in KL / Malaysia, but I think it is not so different to west java / jakarta, means: looooowwwww...almost no real good hobby shops.

So if you need some paints, esp. Revell, I can send it as an international letter. It is not too expensive, also Revell paint jars are not overpriced here. I can send a total weigth of 500 gr. for 3,70€

TobiK ..

I have to refer to FS color codes and find the closet match what Gunze Mr.Color can offer at these parts of the world, all those paint brands mentioned are like non existence unless buying online but then again, the Malaysian currency -Ringgit isn't that favourable compared to the US Dollar and don't even think of the Euro or the British Pound.

You're right on hobby shops here, there's like only ONE with 'aircraft'. Others are stuffed with anime and gundams.

Anyway, thanks for the offer on the paints. We'll see how it goes when I reach that part of the build. Hahahaha....

Scott ..

Noted on the 2 JASDF boxing .. I 'may' have them.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a slow progress,

here's what had happened since the last photos.

One of those tedious masking in and out of clear parts.

P1010331.jpg

Painted and time to attached them

P1010332.jpg

Primed and next the camo painting

P1010333.jpg

I'm gonna use Scott's reference and Gunze paint H303, H309 and H77 for black.

Looking sharp there. The camera housings do take a bit of time to mask, remember to mask the side camera windows. Gunze colours should fine as well

Looking forward to seeing some colour on her.

Out of the paint shop, these are as close as I can get from the references Scott has given.

Top view

P1010336.jpg

From the left

P1010337.jpg

From the right

P1010338.jpg

Under the fuselage, masking to get the wheel wells painted white

P1010335.jpg

I think it's good enough, next would be a layer of Future before getting those thick Hasegawa decals into place.

Hope it turns out well.

Looks good! But I wouldn't paint the speed brake wells white. Usually they were left in the same color as the wing underside. The speedbrake themselves would be red on the inside.

As Pete says, this is a Luftwaffe one but the idea is the same

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Phantom/Images/1330.jpg

However that is one smart looking RF-4E so far :woot.gif: Are you planning on weathering it a bit to blend/tone the colours in/down?

I've got one of these to do in this scheme(already done the SEA)myself and this makes me itch to get at it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for pointing it out Pete and Scott for the reference confirmation.

Well.. I have painted it 'white' but nothing to it, will just give a same color paint over it after this.

I will probably tone it down to look close like the real thing, I'll check online for references to blend it in.

The anniversary paints should look fresh I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

How's the RF coming along?

I'm on the final stretch Scott.

Funny thing happened, I was stalled finding for my nose landing door thinking I had misplaced it.

Then after searching all over, it was still on the sprue .. DOH! :doh:

Should be completed in a few days if nothing weird comes up again. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys .. Finally had the time to take some decent shots of the completed build.

Here's a couple and more in the display case.

P1010354.jpg

P1010360.jpg

I would take the opportunity to thank all that had put some input to make this build almost accurate.