1/18th scale "Black Knights" Tomcat

I have decided to moved this to this forum for now since there are changes being made. Just to bring everyone up to speed ...

Let me start out by saying that this did not start out as your traditional "model kit" and I did not build it. It is a pre-built / finished model released by JSI International LTD. It was their second release, of their F-14 Tomcats, in 2011 and since I'm nuts about Tomcats I had to have it. Their first version was a very poorly finished VF-84 F-14A, released in 2009. I am currently converting the VF-84 F-14A into a VF-103 F-14B, which can be viewed in this forum as well, if you so choose.

I was much happier with their paint job on this second version that I chosen to leave her as is, kind of a BEFORE and AFTER versions if you will. I did do a couple of modifications however, first I added a Pilot and RIO and custom painted their helmets in VF-154 livery and added kneeboards to the aircrew. I also painted the CCG ( Computer Control Group ) of the GBU-16's flat brown.

Working on a new display for my 1/18th scale "Black Knights" Tomcat. Here is a teaser shot. The box, made from leftover tounge and groove siding from when I redid my oldest son's room over the summer, is 43" X 40". The box stands 41" tall. The 3/4" MDF top will be finished with an ocean effect and that die-cast carrier will be incorporated as well. Stay tuned ....

I hope you all enjoy the photos and don't mind that I posted this here, thanks.

Steve

IMG_4877_zpsyxqj4m9i.jpg

IMG_4878_zpsy1rqo7ck.jpg

This looks very sweet indeed I would love to have a more modern cat. I have the VF-84 version it was bloody awful looked like a leopard with the dodgy paint job. But I converted it to VF211 CAG bird and she now sits in my loft.

This is her at a model show some years ago at RAF Hendon she caused quite a stir.

IMG_1492_zps7c34eea0.png

Clive

This looks very sweet indeed I would love to have a more modern cat. I have the VF-84 version it was bloody awful looked like a leopard with the dodgy paint job. But I converted it to VF211 CAG bird and she now sits in my loft.

This is her at a model show some years ago at RAF Hendon she caused quite a stir.

IMG_1492_zps7c34eea0.png

Clive

Thanks Clive,

I remember seeing your WIP somewhere but, never saw the finished jet. Nicely done. Thanks for stopping by.

Steve

man she's not finished its a real shame as she was to go inside a coffee table but I live in hope she'll be done one day.

Clive

Clive, she's sooo close to being finished, you gotta get her done !!

Small update for today,

I've finally obtained all my materials for doing the ocean. My first step is to seal the top of the base with a sanding sealer so the water making materials won't harm the surface of the MDF.

IMG_4890_zpsvoqunlia.jpg

I also had to disassemble the carrier because it had 3 small wheels inside of it. I wish I could find a better die-cast Kitty Hawk carrier about 10" long. I DO NOT want to build anything plus, I know nothing about ships and, more time on this means less time on the F-14B. I did open up the hanger bays by sanding the backs off.

IMG_4887_zpsmrojmdmf.jpg

IMG_4888_zpsqatd10tq.jpg

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I know I said I didn't want to build anything but, I scored this off EBay for $9.00. It's at least the correct carrier ( the metal one was CVN-62 Independance ) but, needs some updating to the Island / super structure to bring

her up to 1998 time frame. I won't be able to use the aircraft either. I still wish I could find a pre-painted metal one.

IMG_4903_zpsgeasiulj.jpg

IMG_4904_zps9sisao7f.jpg

IMG_4902_zpsfgm5ryet.jpg

I also got the sanding sealer applied and sanded on the top. I left a 5/8" space around the outer edge and painted this flat black to help hide the screws that will hold the top down. I'm working on some other small items to help

dress up this display when it's finished. I also need to make, stain and, clear all the trim for this box as well. Thanks for looking.

Steve

Small update for today,

I needed to sand down some of the hull of the carrier to create a "waterline" carrier. This will allow the carrier to sit down in the water. I marked out the hull with some tape to give me a reference mark while sanding.

IMG_4920_zps2vstrjzd.jpg

Once the bottom was sanded I then needed to cutout a blank for the bottom of the hull. I used some .030" sheet plastic for this.

IMG_4923_zpsjfyeqotc.jpg

While I write this the blank is already glued on to the hull and I will let it sit over night to fully dry. I will post more tomorrow, thanks for looking.

Steve

Update for today,

I got the blank glued onto the bottom of the carrier and blended everything in. I also blanked off some holes that remained open once the deck was in place. Scratchbuilt some platforms for radars ?? that brings the carrier up to

1998 time frame. I still have some work to do for the different radars. The white spot towards the front of the flightdeck is some putty from filling a sink hole.

IMG_4926_zpsenk31k49.jpg

IMG_4925_zpsdavuj66r.jpg

I managed to get the island together and scratchbuilt a platform for the radar ball as well.

IMG_4921_zpsy4osgz7m.jpg

Hoping to get everything painted so I can get this thing assembled and get to work on the water. Thanks for checking in.

Steve

Wowzer, you more or less have two of these builds going on?!

The work on the display look very impressive.

I used to have the head-on F-14 pic with the sun setting in the background framed in my hobby room also :thumbsup: Unfortunately, it didn't make it on one of my many relocations.

:cheers:

Marcel

Thanks for checking in Marcel, much appreciated.

Today's update,

I got some work accomplished, I managed to scratchbuild a new Radar antenna tower, the kit one was pretty basic and crappy. Some sheet stock and a sewing needle head for the radar ball. Before I glued the ball to the tower I

brushed some color where I thought the airbrush would have trouble getting to.

IMG_4927_zpswlh2f9xa.jpg

IMG_4928_zps5z9flfau.jpg

I airbrushed the flightdeck and elevators using a combination of MM Euro 1 Grey and some flat white. I tried to lighten up the color for the scale effect, looks ok I guess.

IMG_4929_zps2dh7elmp.jpg

The flightdeck and hull got masked up to keep the mating surfaces clean so I get a good glue bond when it's time for assembly. All the other parts are ready for the Grey paint as well.

IMG_4931_zpst7kyntsm.jpg

The flightdeck was masked so I can spray the outer edges with the grey and the bottom of the hull to give me a good clean surface to attach the carrier to the water.

IMG_4930_zpsnq8xcecr.jpg

That's it for today, hoping to get the grey sprayed tomorrow, thanks for looking.

Steve

Today's update,

I managed to get the grey sprayed today, unmasked everything and, glued in the elevators. Still lots to do since I will not be using the decals for the flightdeck. I'll be spraying the yellow and white markings instead. There

is a lot of work to do yet for such a small model but, progressing nicely.

IMG_4932_zps3szyhuls.jpg

I set the flightdeck in place and placed the Island and Radar tower in their spots for a pic. I'm not a ship guy so I guess it looks ok besides the carrier is not the main focal point of the display. Thanks for having a look.

IMG_4933_zpslbbgrycf.jpg

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Small update for tonight,

I masked off the flightdeck last night and sprayed the markings tonight. I'm really happy with the results, all that tedious masking paid off, much better than decals IMO. Now it's starting to look like something. Still have to

gloss coat the very front of the flightdeck for the "63" and do some weathering as well. Getting closer, thanks for checking in.

Steve

IMG_4934_zpsi8hkifcc.jpg

IMG_4935_zpsaar1idba.jpg

Really nice Steve. I just know this will look terrific when done!

Thanks Chuck and, welcome back.

Minor update for today,

I managed to get the flightdeck weathered and flat-coated. Once it's dry I can glue the flightdeck to the hull. I still have some minor paint work to do to the Island and the Radar tower. These items will remain off until the

carrier is attached to the base and the water is complete. I've also been making a few extra items for the display that I will reveal when the time is right. Thanks for checking in, til the next update ....

Steve

IMG_4937_zpswnxmco1f.jpg

Today's update,

The carrier is finished !! I got everything flat-coated and I'm really happy with how it turned out seeing's how this is my first ever ship model. For being such a small model there is quite a bit of work in her. The Island and

Radar tower are just posed there for the pics, I'll glue them on for good once the Carrier is attached to the base. The fingers point to things I had to scratchbuild to bring her up to the 1998 time frame. So now the process of

making the ocean comes next, thanks for checking in and until the next update ...

Steve

IMG_4938_zpswmsgqkx6.jpg

IMG_4939_zpsayfz1beq.jpg

IMG_4940_zpshaoopmb9.jpg

That carrier looks great. To me, seriously talented builders have the ability to step in a new medium and still build at a high level. You sir, are a talented builder.

Thanks buddy, I try. Your not too bad yourself.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER