Airforce gives up on A-10 retirement

Where/how do you come up with this stuff?

I don't know if you realize this but the Air Force is making the decisions with the A-10, not the forum members. The A-10 is sticking around because none of its more expensive replacements can fill its shoes, despite how some of the other posters are making it out to be. We have had the facts for a while now and the USAF's position is based on them. This is the position of the original poster, the article he referenced, and now the Air Force, yet you side with people who have proven themselves to have no interest in the subject whatsoever except to condemn the A-10. I haven't seen anybody on this board yet who has actually benefited from an A-10 run complaining though, only those that have not. Then the names you brought up, plus TT, come in and snipe at their real life experiences to call them liars.

I come up with this stuff because its part of my profession. Statements like "none of its expensive replacements can fill its shoes" are abjectly false: I'm surprised that you would make such a blanket statement and defend it so vehemently. Does the A-10 have some areas that its superior to other aircraft? undoubtedly: nobody here is claiming otherwise. Are they so unique that without them we would be seriously deficient in defending our/your national security? I think most here would say no. And perhaps the bigger question (at least for me since it relates to my work), is the cost of keeping it worth delaying a long delayed modernization that would introduce new capabilities that would perhaps provide revolutionary improvements into CAS (not to mention a whole bunch of other aspects of airpower)? I don't think so. But that's my perspective, and I know parts of that may be contested.

You have displayed none of that nuance, or deeper understanding. Rather you come off as shrill and trollish, especially when you claim you listen to people who know what they talk about, yet dismiss many of those people out of hand: its blatantly hypocritical . You've somehow manage to tick off almost everybody here. I enjoy arc because people like Nspreitler Waco, Murph, Fulcrum, MarkW, come and add their perspectives. I might not agree with how they may portray an issue/analysis, but their input based on their first hand knowledge is valuable to inform my own perspective. What I don't want to see or know is someone who has none of that information basically crow about how everything is wrong and selectively cite information in order to show their viewpoint. Its not why I come here at all.

Edited by -Neu-

Look, you could debate the definition of 'calling someone a liar' all you want, but you've been slaying Nsprietler's posts since he brought his experiences to the postboard.

13953783092_54352f67f8_o.jpg

What I don't want to see or know is someone who has none of that information basically crow about how everything is wrong and selectively cite information in order to show their viewpoint.

Remember, his is a tale told by an fool, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Just ignore him; success has.

Neu, you actually have some good points. I rarely have issues with answers that are thought out. But some of the names you've brought up, and maybe 1-2 that you purposely haven't included, don't exactly frame their answers or even have correct information. You said that nobody here is claiming that the A-10 DOESN'T have some areas where it exceeds other aircraft, and this is wrong. In fact, this suggestion has brought more than just flat out denial, it's brought a real negative tone that has made discussing this issue nearly impossible.

You may point the blame at me, but let's be real about this first: many people who support the A-10 and the job it does don't feel comfortable adding to the topic because they see how a particular trio shoots some really good points down in a downright ugly fashion. Do you really think the entire board is so slanted against the A-10 because people don't voice their opinions? Of course not. They don't speak up because they get drowned out by the concerted, coordinated attacks by a bad few that makes discussing the A-10's good points virtually impossible.

Sorry if I've turned you off and I really don't have any issue with you or your experience. But some of the loudest voices are purposely drowning out the valuable experiences of others, and this isn't conducive to a well-functioning postboard either. Civil debate is always preferable, but we need to mostly be on board for that to happen. I am.

Edited by Exhausted

If I edited this thread there would be no posts within it for anyone to read.

If you have nothing nice to say then do not say it.

Frankly if you cannot act like adults and prefer to act like a bunch of four year olds or teenagers then expect threads to be locked, posts deleted and being banned for a week.