1/48 Eduard Brassin F-4J cockpit for Academy

Who else notice that has this new cockpit set is not even close to an F-4J cockpit but rather it's a later F-4B or F-4N example. I just received mine. I'm not complaining because it has turned out to be one of the nicest 1/48 F-4B/N cockpits I've seen. Better than Aires even. It's just nothing more than a F-4B/N cockpit & perhaps one of the few very early F-4Js that had F-4B cockpits. Eduard tells me after the fact that it's for their pending Limited F-4J release that has decals for an early F-4J. Other than the RIOs right rear sidewall that covers the probe that's a tad misrepresented, it's a gorgeous aftermarket set for your late Academy F-4B or N. However, for those that want a 1/48 replica of a true F-4J cockpit, how would one approach Eduard to correct (or rename the boxing so others aren't fooled) the title of this set? Or new resin all together? Anyone else notice this? Please share your thoughts?

Masterguns

Edited by Gunny

No, what? Do you have pics that I can compare to mine to see the differences? Mine is definitely a replica of a F-4B/N cockpit. I wouldn't mind buying a Brassin -J from Eduard to use with my Academy -J kit but I dunno if they make one until I hear back from you. A description of yours would be most welcome. Thanks.

Masterguns

• 2 weeks later...

Don't pay attention to the troll. Seems he and a handful of people like to rear their a$$es whenever there's discussion about 'accuracy'. If he didn't have anything to contribute he should keep his mouth shut.

As for what you mentioned, I just got the Brassin set I had on backorder with hlj along with other stuff. I'm no Phantom expert, but I took a look at it and compared to photos on the net and drawings I found here of the different F-4J cockpits and can confirm what you already mentioned, it is for a F-4B or early block F-4J, not for mid to late ones.

I don't think you have many options at this point. I'm sure Eduard will eventually make a series of Phantom cockpits, but at this point, if the other parts aren't in production, it's not like they can mail you replacements. So on that front, your options are basically: keep it or return it.

As for getting them to correct the labeling... that seems unlikely. I'd try dropping Eduard an e-mail (which you seem to have done), but you'll probably get a standard 'thanks for your feedback' reply. Your best bet is to spread the word. If it becomes 'a thing', it will prompt them to change; if they don't, at least modellers will know what plane to put it in.

I have used this set on a F-4J, and if nothing else, it fits into the Academy kit really well, as well as being a good looking set.

When I joined the fuselage I didn't glue the cockpit set at all. It just fits so well.

I hope they bring out sets for the USAF Phantoms.

Thanks, men. I'm working with Eduard now since my OP to get a correct typical later F-4J cockpit done. They told me they used the '67 F-4J NATOPS as a reference to mold this current Brassin cockpit set. '67 is when the very early production F-4Js basically used the F-4B cockpit when the -J was first hitting the fleet. I've sent them some later references (my dads '75 NATOPS & academics he used when transitioning from the B to the J) for typical F-4J cockpits from Block 33 & up that used the AN/APQ-72 (before retrofit with the later radar suite) + the later F-4J cockpit that is almost identical to the F-4S cockpit from BuNo. 158355 & up. Like I said, I'm not complaining because my fav USMC Phantom is the F-4B. This current Brassin "F-4J" cockpit is perfect for the awesome Academy F-4B in 1/48. I still have 5 of the Limited Editions (Good Morning Danang & Bicentennial) to build & I'm going to use the "F-4J" Brassin cockpit in them & get rid of my Aires cockpits for this particular kit. The folks at Edaurd have the best CS around & they are very friendly & humble. I'm continuing to work with them to get us the more correct F-4J cockpit to market for the Academy kits.

Masterguns

Edited by Gunny

Soon... how about some pics of how it fits and looks installed in the kit?

cheers,

Mike

This is the F-4J I'm building at the moment. I didn't get pics of the cockpit going in, but this is how it looks when fitted.

I glued the cockpit section to the wheel well and no more glue was used. It fits that well.

The pics.

IMG_1869_zpsfvmag6fh.jpg

IMG_1873_zpsf708t7no.jpg

IMG_1874_zpshf62phna.jpg

IMG_1876_zpsjdlhsmwu.jpg

IMG_1877_zpsjcz0y3ok.jpg

IMG_1879_zpsfgirajok.jpg

IMG_1880_zps7460lqu3.jpg

Ted