Unless I missed a thread somewhere, I haven't seen anything with rotors yet, so I also began an Italeri RAH-66. I started getting the cockpit together, and I'll post pics as soon as it's done. :thumbsup:

EDIT: If anyone knows where to find some reliable info for colors and details (cockpit, wheel wells, weapons bays, etc), please let me know. The instructions call for olive drab, but in photos it appears darker, closer to MM helo drab, possibly? Thanks in advance!

Edited by plasticWerks_JL

First pics of this build are up, as promised:

First up is the cockpit, painted and dry-brushed; the seats are still in progress (before anyone says it, I know the screens are way too bright! :rofl:)

IMG_9976_zps3u8fujhl.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsdokmplbr.jpg

Here's the fuselage; I started gluing in the cockpit, so it should be together soon:

IMG_0010_zps66sxfma1.jpg

One bit of detailing I wanted to accomplish on this was to open the canopy doors for a better view inside. Luckily, this kit has deep grooves in the canopy that made them easy to cut out. This pic is before polishing and a dip in Future:

IMG_0015_zpsuqiifbea.jpg

Thats it for now, more updates soon. Thanks for looking :cheers:

Another quick update:

In order to "fix" the screens in the cockpit, I wanted to try a technique I haven't used before. Sitting at my desk at work, it crossed my mind that I could create some small printouts of MFDs (found these from an image in a chopper flight sim). I adjusted the shape and colors of the images to try and get something suitable, printed them on a few different paper stocks (and at a few different measurements), and tried them out when I got home. At this scale, the prints aren't very detailed, but then again, at this scale it doesn't matter all that much :rolleyes:. I attached the paper with white glue, and coated with a bit of future once dry. I think the results are a touch better than what I had earlier, and I'm glad I thought of it! Thanks for looking!

IMG_0017_zpswltwhlfu.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a proof-of-life update:

Cockpit is done completely and ready to be sealed up:

IMG_0032_zpsqttb5lcq.jpg

I'm especially happy with the seats. They were airbrushed with Tamiya NATO black and the seat cushions were dry-brushed with Testors olive drab enamel. This seems to give a really nice effect:

IMG_0040_zps7fynxb7r.jpg

Here she is with the canopy and main rotor mocked up:

IMG_0061_zpst7mk9ibd.jpg

You can just see the cannon fairing door open to show the gun in the stowed position (not yet painted and finished), and there's a handful of detail parts to be finished and added before paint, but things are moving along. Due to the fit of the fuselage, this thing will be about 50% putty by the time it's done, though.

I hope to update again soon. Any comments, critiques, tips, etc are more than welcome. Thanks for checking in!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent work! I'd never thought of - or seen - the model with the guns towed, great idea. I'm no expert but I'd bet on Helo Drab rather than Olive.

Thanks for the input, Zac! I've already shot this one with OD and started detail painting (which I've come to realize is my absolute least favorite part of the whole process besides masking). Pics online show so many different shades, so it shouldn't be too far off as is, but a big thanks for the suggestion.

The idea for the stowed gun came from the blueprint below (which I had posted in another thread as well), and with a healthy dose of creative license since I couldn't find any other images of the inside or door of the fairing:

rah66_turret_zpsvhhkrn50.png

Anyway, a new job with a nightmare commute is consuming all of my weekdays right now, and I haven't had much down time to build, but now is the point where I'll put my other builds away and finish them all one at a time. Hoping I can get these all wrapped up before July. The Comanche will be first, so hopefully I'll have another update soon. Happy modeling, fellas :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

The fuselage has been painted, decaled, and a wash applied; just needs a flat coat to finish it off:

IMG_9951_zps3uclgoei.jpg

The other parts are just about finished up, as well. I've put together the weapons, four Hellfires and two Stinger launchers:

IMG_9979_zpszc5cxbvs.jpg

IMG_9980_zpsmknnsesv.jpg

I drilled out the landing gear light and filled it with Loctite clear glue to replicate the lens:

IMG_9966_zpselzm4xsh.jpg

I should be able to finish this one up by the end of the week, or next weekend at the latest. Last update coming soon!