Just when you think you know everything!

I consider myself relatively knowledgable about F-14 squadron markings, especially from the 70's and 80's. However, I found a picture of a VF-2 scheme that I never knew existed. I had seen the scheme on overall Gull Gray jets, and Microscale released a decal sheet for it, but I never knew it was put on TPS jets. Now I have a new Bounty Hunters scheme to do.

VF-2 scheme

Another picture of it

Edited by Darren Roberts

Sometimes it's actually surprising (at least 'kind of') to see such 'details' considered 'common knowledge' went 'lost' within only 20-30 years....

That sheme was applied in the late 1980s. Actually: didn't the VF-2 went to the 1991 War in such colours?

The ESCI kit has the overall Gull Gray scheme, but the decals could be used for the TPS as well. What's interesting is all the decal sets have the markings in black/dk. gray, which would be correct for the TPS, but the overall GG scheme actually had red, white, and blue Langley stripes.

By Desert Storm, VF-2 had reverted back to the previous markings with the blue rudder/2 white stars and the slanted NE. It seems this set of interem markings was relatively short-lived, maybe a year or so. That could be why there aren't many pictures of it. What's really interesting is that there are pictures where you can see both these schemes applied to various jets during the same time-frame.

I actually think these markings would look good on VFA-2's Super Hornets. They would fit the tail better than what they've got now.

Edited by Darren Roberts

The plan last I heard was a late A, B, and D. The molds will be revised to reflect the updates. That's where I come in to help with the small details. I think this is still in its infancy, so it will probably be awhile. But if they do what I think they're going to do, it will be a very nice option for Tomcat builders.

The plan last I heard was a late A, B, and D. The molds will be revised to reflect the updates. That's where I come in to help with the small details. I think this is still in its infancy, so it will probably be awhile. But if they do what I think they're going to do, it will be a very nice option for Tomcat builders.

Good. I always liked the shape of the Monogram F-14, I built a bunch during my college years.

It was a pain to build but it was a super bang for the buck.