AH-1G / Rotor Mast

Dear all,

I’m actually building a Vietnam era Cobra and I have a question regarding the rotor mast.

While the Cobras flew in Vietnam without the cap you could see into the Engine housing.

But for me it is doubtful that the part (G97) in the MPM represents the swash plate which might be metal colored.

I found one picture of a later “S” Cobra which showed this part in chromate yellow.

I hope that someone could help me with the correct color.

I will try to add a picture, but actually I have a problem to do so

Many thanks in advance and best regards.

Sven

But for me it is doubtful that the part (G97) in the MPM represents the swash plate which might be metal colored.

I found one picture of a later “S” Cobra which showed this part in chromate yellow.

G97 should be a light grey on the AH-1G and AH-1S. Flat black is not out of the question on later aircraft. I've never seen it painted chromate yellow unless it was on a restored machine. Just my two cents.

Floyd

G97 should be a light grey on the AH-1G and AH-1S. Flat black is not out of the question on later aircraft. I've never seen it painted chromate yellow unless it was on a restored machine. Just my two cents.

Floyd

I concur with Floyd. I flew Cobras for 1400 hours in Vietnam. The flexure plate is grey. Black was somewhat common in the early days of NVG. Just my two cents. GT

Edited by AH6C-SIP

The part represent (very poorly) the area Ray took the pic of above. The kit part is not really how the helo is. Best way to paint it would be zinc chromate green sides and the same gray as the mast for the two cross bars the touch the mast. Other than that, you could make the dust cover for it so you don't see the lack of details that should be there.

The part represent (very poorly) the area Ray took the pic of above. The kit part is not really how the helo is. Best way to paint it would be zinc chromate green sides and the same gray as the mast for the two cross bars the touch the mast. Other than that, you could make the dust cover for it so you don't see the lack of details that should be there.

It's honestly so recessed down in the sail that I doubt anyone will notice one way or the other in 1/72. Personally, I wouldn't use the dust cover as it was rarely used on the real aircraft, but that's just me.

Ray

Hello Ray,

Thank you very much for this picture!

This was excactly what I was looking for.

This really helps me.

I thought that the particular part represents something like a "recessed" dust cap. I had no idea that the dog house was completely open in this area.

The build of my Cobras is almost complete so I will do like suggested earlier (painting).

I agree with you that the dust cap was rarely used in Vietnam. I can not remember a picture where it would be recognizable.

Very best regards

Sven

Sven,

Here's a shot I took a few weeks ago of an AH-1G at the Army Aviation Museum. Hope it helps.

Ray

12622336_10153806670274098_3859872868110296304_o.jpg

• 8 months later...