F4U-5N cockpit

I'm kind of confused. Did the plane start off its life as an F4U-5, then converted to a -7, then back into a -5? The stenciling at the base of the tail says it's supposed to be an F4U-5N. I was wondering if they were going to add the radar to the wing later on. Otherwise, as it's shown, it appears to be more of an F4U-5 since there's no radar pod on the wing nor a radar scope on the instrument panel. If I'm not mistaken, I think the instrument panel of the -5 had a map slot in it.

I'm kind of confused. Did the plane start off its life as an F4U-5, then converted to a -7, then back into a -5? The stenciling at the base of the tail says it's supposed to be an F4U-5N. I was wondering if they were going to add the radar to the wing later on. Otherwise, as it's shown, it appears to be more of an F4U-5 since there's no radar pod on the wing nor a radar scope on the instrument panel. If I'm not mistaken, I think the instrument panel of the -5 had a map slot in it.

Based on the pictures, it was built as a -5N, converted to a regular -5 by Argentina (although retaining some -5N features like the exhaust flash hiders) and now flies in -7 paint after restoration.

Edited by mawz

That's interesting, 3-A-211 looks like it has a Gray instrument panel instead of the more common black one. It does provide an interesting addition to the (then) more modern Light Gull Gray and White finish.

That's interesting, 3-A-211 looks like it has a Gray instrument panel instead of the more common black one. It does provide an interesting addition to the (then) more modern Light Gull Gray and White finish.

I was surprised too.