Are we NEVER going to see a new-tool B-1B Lancer in 1/72???

What all is wrong with the Revell/Mono Bone?

That's one kit my old man built but I haven't touched one yet. If you want updates, I think we have some good options ahead of us between aftermarket manus with resin and 3d printing coming down in cost. I think we'll see big improvements in 3d printing happening in the near future now that the consumer market can fuel further development and guide requirements a little.

The Barracuda resin looks very nice [in 1/48th], and I know Caracal decals intends to bring out his new Bone decals in 1/72 at some point. I haven't really seen any aftermarket stuff in 1/72 for the Revell kit [beyond some decals for silly money on Ebay] over the last few years. I only have some resin ACES seats and those Cutting Edge decals available on Dave Klaus's site for my two in 1/72. Would like to get featherless cans at the least.

Revell Germany re-release probably would be more likely than a new-tool, but you never know. Two years ago who would have thought their would be newly-tooled MiG-25s/MiG-31s in 1/48th and a 1/72 Tu-22 Blinder etc...

Edited by azzaob

I'm surprised that Trumpeter hasn't issued one in 1/72 scale. What I find interesting is that Wolfpack Resins in Korea had carried four different update sets for the Revell Bone as "future releases" on their website for quite some time, but now they're gone. I wonder if they heard something about a future release that made them cancel the project?

Regards,

Murph

What all is wrong with the Revell/Mono Bone?

It's got several major inaccuracies. And in today's world, its major failing is raised (GASP!) panel lines and the simple fact that the kit is almost 35 years old.

Edited by Jennings

It's got several major inaccuracies. And in today's world, its major failing is raised (GASP!) panel lines and the simple fact that the kit is almost 35 years old.

I'm about 98% done with my 1/72 Revell B-1 and I've been enjoying it immensely. The fit is fine. Needed a little bit of filler but who cares? Most models need that anyway. Yes, I'm aware of the inaccuracies but I'm not building the kit to be displayed at the right hand of God. It's just for me and the way the kit is now makes for a good and frustration-free build. When I'm standing a couple of feet away from it, I see the job I'm doing with it and it makes me happy.

Also, there's nothing wrong with raised panel lines.

Eric

Edited by echolmberg

Well, I'm not an expert when it comes to the "Bone" but here are 2 builds which mention a few of the issues with the Revell/Monogram B-1:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234928898-bad-to-the-bone-correcting-and-updating-monogramrevells-172-b-1b/

http://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/b1b-bone/b1b-1.html

Markus

Edited by Shorty84

The Barracuda resin looks very nice [in 1/48th], and I know Caracal decals intends to bring out his new Bone decals in 1/72 at some point.

I emailed the folks at Barracuda in November and asked if they would be scaling any of the resin updates down to 1/72. They replied in the affirmative and said the updates would most likely available this spring time frame.

Caracal also intends to scale down their sheet eventually, but that could take a while. I think they represent the best option for decals in 1/72, as the Twobobs sheets left a lot to be desired.

Cheers,

Hoops

Edited by Hoops

I emailed the folks at Barracuda in November and asked if they would be scaling any of the resin updates down to 1/72. They replied in the affirmative and said the updates would most likely available this spring time frame.

Caracal also intends to scale down their sheet eventually, but that could take a while. I think they represent the best option for decals in 1/72, as the Twobobs sheets left a lot to be desired.

Cheers,

Hoops

Good news on the Barracuda resin! Caracal's Bone decals are on their way to me, from the pics he has posted they look top notch. Cannot wait :)

Cheers,

Hoops

They are also releasing a Sniper pod in 1/48th.

I don't know why are Revell to lazy and don't upgrade their Bones to today standard (new nozzles, new weaponry, new systems bulges...) this is a few new tool parts. I bought in summer a re-box of Bone by RoG in 1/48 and hope in Barracuda parts but when i saw price (you must count with tax to EU) i fast forget to order it.

I don't know why are Revell to lazy and don't upgrade their Bones to today standard (new nozzles, new weaponry, new systems bulges...) this is a few new tool parts. I bought in summer a re-box of Bone by RoG in 1/48 and hope in Barracuda parts but when i saw price (you must count with tax to EU) i fast forget to order it.

same reason they havent really updated their 1/48 F-15E kit. Laziness.

same reason they havent really updated their 1/48 F-15E kit. Laziness.

AICZ and adamitri:

Sorry, but I have to call you out on this. Apparently, you guys think kit manufacturers have nothing better to do than to constantly (and expensively) make minor update revisions to otherwise excellent kits. Probably fewer than 1% of the market (the people who spend money on their kits) would even notice such updates, let alone demand them or want to spend more money to get them. Aren't you modelers? Are you too lazy to "model" your own improvements?

Edited by Paul Boyer

I'd love a new tool, or even readily available, 1/72 B-1B. While we're at it, how about a well modeled B-2A...1/72 or 1/144. I think the best we have is the SnapTite Revell 1/144, but even that still has it's issues (fit, MLG sitting right, raised panel lines, etc).

@ Paul Boyer,

I am just saying that if manufacturers can rebox the same kit over and over with different decals (hasegawa for example), why cant they mold the new upgrades ?

Back in the '90s, in conversation with industry insiders, I was told that a good rule of thumb for an injection mold was roughly $1000 per hole (cavity in the mold). That cost would take in all the research, master making, and production of the mold, plus a share of the kit production, marketing, and shipping. Certainly, the effort is easier with computer-driven design and production, but overall prices since the '90s have gone up quite a bit. So let's just guess that $1000 a hole is still the going standard. Most kit manufacturers will not want to make that kind of investment without some assurances that it will make them more money. In the case of the Revell 1/48 Strike Eagle, it was roundly praised as being the best Eagle in the scale, and I imagine it still sells well when it is made available. Why would they want to increase their costs on it by adding "updates" that fewer than 1% (my guess) of the potential customers would want it or even notice? What you don't seem to understand is that you and I (and others on this forum) are part of a very small minority of kit builders who would appreciate such "updates." Come to think of it, I wouldn't know what could be updated and I don't care to spend money on another kit to get it. It's got NOTHING to do with "laziness" on the kit manufacturers part at all. They aren't in this for charity. They have to make money and keep costs down, and unless you can prove that such improvements will increase revenue (and you can't), they're not going to do it.