Mirage 2000 color matches...

I've noticed that Vallejo do a French Mirage Blue (70.900 product number)

Do they also do the grey that's associated with the M2000? I couldn't find anything listed for Mirage 2000, but maybe it's listed as something else?

Failing that, what do others feel works for a Mirage 2000??

TIA,

M

If you were painting a Mirage F-1C or a Mirage IIIC in their distictive "Bleu Défense Aérienne" livery, Vallejo 70.900 would be the way to go. French Mirage Blue is a significantly darker shade.

Mirage F-1 in "Bleu DA":

http://www.fox-two.c...33-02-cotes.jpg

Mirage 2000 in "Celomer 1620/1625":

http://www.fox-two.c...2-03-dessus.jpg

If it has to be Vallejo, here's my suggestion:

Celomer 1620 Gris bleu fonçé/dark grey-blue -> Vallejo 71.113 Intermediate Blue

Celomer 1625 Gris bleu (moyen) clair/light blue grey -> Vallejo 73.615 Light Ghost Gray

I have the Xtra Light Blue Gray for the M2000 (X395), but Roll Models was out of X396 when I bought it, (as well as a few others that were out of stock that were of interest).

Unless there is somewhere in the US that I can obtain 1 pot of X396, I may well go with the Vallejo, on top of the X395.... (Unless someone has a tin they'd be willing to pass on, for a reasonable fee, of course!)

Thanks for the thoughts.

M

Edited by Matt Walker

I have tried the Xtracolor examples myself and both seem way off to my eye! Just my opinion of course but I ended up mixing my own. Xtracolors examples seem to be a very grey and faded example, new jets the blue is really quite blue and the grey has no green as done by xtracolor. Of course I could just have a rubbish batch of paint!

I've used 70.900 French Mirage Blue and 70.990 Light Grey (FS36375). Daco even suggests FS36375 as the lighter grey.

Just painted the first parts of my Mirage 2000C with both colors. Looks good compared to pictures. See my Mirage 2000C "in progress" thread.

Edited by Lancer512

Two different pots of X396; same color number, different batches, both fully stirred. Was planning to actually do a proper paint test on sheet styrene but never got around to it.

IMG_9517_zps13e3f95c.jpg

Edited by Phantom726

Two different pots of X396; same color number, different batches, both fully stirred. Was planning to actually do a proper paint test on sheet styrene but never got around to it.

IMG_9517_zps13e3f95c.jpg

Hmmm.. The left one looks good to me, but the lid is in the wrong color. Check the batch number on the side of each label. Is it the same?

I havent built a Mirage in blue-gray scheme but while researching for colors, I could not find exact match. So searching this forum and others, I found Gunze colors that when mixed gave a good match to the Mirage 2000D green-gray scheme.

Dark Grey : H331 H042 H057 H305

Dark Green : H309 H330 H73

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=282186&st=0&p=2687159&fromsearch=1entry2687159

IMG_9517_zps13e3f95c.jpg

The left one looks right to be X395(with a wrong lid) and the right one looks like X396(with a wrong label). What are the batch numbers on the labels and I'll see if mine are any different.

Ows, again...trouble with Xtracolor. I just remember the X160 FS15190 synth. haze blue, and it has to total wrong hue on my F-5E. Meanwhile I have 4 jars of X160 but still have to compare.