Italeri TF-104G in 1:32

Italeri will come up this year with a TF-104G Starfighter in 1:32 scale! It will come in 2 flavours, nr.2512S and 2509S in AMI (Italian AF) colours. Kit will include MB and Lockheed C2 ejection seats.

Excellent news, was already evident in the single seater kit ( ugly step in the fuselage aft of the cockpit section) .

Hope they clean up the panel lines a bit....

Hope they fixed the maple leafs on the caf decals

I thought they did and I thought it was David Winter who posted this info. I can't find that post though. I can find where he posted the errors, I thought he said when the kit was released that they fixed those errors.

I use David's (Canuck Decals) decals anyhow.

I did a complete breakdown of the CF-104 markings for the italeri kit on another thread but I can't find that list either. Maybe the thread was deleted? Off the top of my head I don't remember all the specifics, but some I do reacall are;

• The kit claims the markings are for 417Sqn in 1962. 417 Sqn didn't exist in 1962. It was disbanded in 1949 and not stood up again until 1968. The unit could not possibly have been flying Starfighters in 62.
  • The general shape of the leaf in the roundel is correct. It's a Silver Maple Leaf used by the RCAF up until 1965 (+/- a couple of months while aircraft were repainted).
  • The bigger issue is the roundels. The wing roundels are too small, the fuselage roundels are too big. Not by all that much, but still, it's kinda not all that difficult to get proper dimensions in Illustrator and print them at the right size. Not getting the right sizes is just a sign of 'I don't care'.
  • The colours are not correct to the RCAF. The red is too dark, the blue is too light. Looks like they just used the correct Italian roundel red throughout.
  • The wing roundels are missing their very noticeable white stencils data.
  • The Red Ensigns are completely the wrong dimensions.
  • The type font is incorrect.
  • The stencils are possibly correct for the Italian variants, but don't match any references I have. My references include RCAF maintence and markings manuals used to paint the actual aircraft.

I think there are a couple of other points too but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

thanks

David

Also:

Didn't Canadian F-104's have a different cockpit lay-out ? (What comes in the kit is barely passable for a G model anyway...)

They sure did. Along with no IR sight, different MLG liquid Springs (shock struts), narrow main wheels with non bulged MLG forward doors along with several other minor non visible differences.

I was never impressed with Italeri's offering of the Starfighter in 1/32 scale and am really not holding out much hope on the 2 seater as well. What you get for the price is actually very disappointing as far as the surface detail and molding is concerned.

There were rumors that AFV Club were developing a 1/32 F-104 but it seems to have vanished into file 13. Sure wish this one would come to fruition.

Cheers,

John

There were rumors that AFV Club were developing a 1/32 F-104 but it seems to have vanished into file 13. Sure wish this one would come to fruition.

More than just rumours. They had CAD images up on their website and facebook page at one point. But they announced their kit almost the same week that Italeri made their announcement and since then nothing has been heard of the AFV kit.

1401941_619334074778782_896299296_o.jpg