1/72 Academy vs. Hasegawa F/A-18C

Hello guys, I'm preparing to start work on a 1/72 F/A-18C. Now, I already have Hasegawa's A version with bits needed to convert it to the C version. After further reading, most people seem to think that the Academy version is superior to the one by Hasegawa. Could someone articulate why is it so? Are there any major improvements in the Academy kit and should I consider buying it instead of using the Hasegawa one?

Thanks and kind regards, Sven.

Academy hands down. Fit and assembly are far better. No ugly nose seam to try to clean up and make look right. And the rear fuselage sides actually fit. Only real drawback is the vertical fins are different is shape. What that means is if you want to use any of the wide variety of markings from Hasegawa or aftermarket decal suppliers they might not be a good fit at all.

Both companies have kits for the whole range of A thru D versions so that is not much of a consideration as to which one to build.

I'd go with Academy too. Superior detail, and to my eyes, better shaped nose/windscreen transition. If using aftermarket decals, there may indeed be a need to adjust them to Academy fins.

The only drawback is that @$%#! main landing gear. This however can be fixed, either by replacing kit gear with ones from some other kit (like Italeri), or by cutting and repositioning them. Here is the link to my first two attempts at doing so. Hope this helps.

Whatever Your choice will be, I'll gladly check out Your build :)