The Most Important Date in Aviation History

Today in 1957: The USAF received its first five Cessna T-37 trainers.

t-37-dvic261.jpg

050322-F-1234P-025.JPG

The T-37 is a twin-engine primary trainer used for teaching the fundamentals of jet aircraft operation and for flying on instruments, in formation and at night. Affectionately known as the "Tweety Bird," it was the first U.S. Air Force jet designed from conception as a trainer. Its flying characteristics helped student pilots prepare to transition to the larger, faster T-38 Talon later in the pilot training program. Side-by-side seating in the T-37 made it easy for the instructor to observe and communicate with the student.

The XT-37 prototype first flew in 1954, and the T-37A entered USAF service in 1957. In 1959 the T-37B entered service with more powerful engines, a redesigned instrument panel, and improved radio communications and navigational equipment. In time, all -As were modified to -B standards.

The T-37C, with provisions for armament and extra fuel, was built for export. Both T-37Bs and -Cs serve the air forces of several Allied nations. In all, nearly 1,300 T-37As, -Bs and -Cs were built before production ended in the late 1970s. In addition, nearly 600 A-37s -- attack modifications of the T-37 -- were built.

The T-37B on display was flown to the museum on Oct. 8, 1991.

TECHNICAL NOTES:

Maximum speed: 410 mph

Range: 650 miles

Service ceiling: 35,000 ft.

Engines: Two Continental J69-T-25s of 1,025 lbs. thrust each

Span: 33 ft. 10 in.

Length: 29 ft. 4 in.

Height: 9 ft. 5 in.

Weight: 6,580 lbs. maximum

Tweet-Reaction_zps2vsv3r5o.gif

I remember seeing a formation of A-37's at my very first airshow back in 1990. It was right before the MIANG switched over to the A-10. I've always wanted to build one in those markings, but it seems that the A/T-37 is one of those airframes that has not received much love from the AM decal world.

-Dave

I saw these as late as 2001, when I was going to high school in Friendswood, TX. I was nearby Ellington Field, near LBJ Space Center, and I saw a lot of interesting 'wild life.' I saw the WB-57s fly, as well as our favorite beluga lookalike, the Guppy.

I wonder how many pilots got permanent ear damage because of this non pressurized jet B)/>/>

D

The two individuals I worked with that were :worship: Mighty Tweet :worship: FAIPs were both using hearing aids in their 50's.

Regards,

Murph

To quote ELO, "I just can't get it out of my head" that the Tweet would make a decent civvy aircraft. Two engines so you can fly it to the scene of the crash and they're small so specific fuel consumption shouldn't be too bad. Just have to wonder how difficult it would be to eradicate the vomit smell.