1:2-scale A4 Skyhawk Instrument Panel

Hi, working an A-4 Skyhawk instrument panel for display. Chose 1:2 as it seems like a good large scale but not too large to fill up the wall. Just planning to use some styrene sheet. The scratchbuilt parts probably won't look very realistic but I'm aiming for just a nice enough representation to adorn the my work area. I wanted to join the Skyhawk group build last year thinking I could squeeze this in during the holidays. But the days just sped by and I lost my chance. Now that I'm working on it I can see that I couldn't have made it in time for the deadline anyway.

DuZbimI.jpg

I'm modeling it first to make patterns for cutting styrene (manually). I'm using the figure from the Squadron book which is a TA-4F trainer but I'll try to replace some of the instruments based on ones from the fighting units. I've come across some good A-4E shots those might help. But any help is welcome.

0vjynFh.jpg

rFVtGXP.jpg

USqgiT3.jpg

PZMMRkh.jpg

HsuLmpa.jpg

Hi Adam, you will need just width of the actual instrument panel then you can print the IP to scale and cut styrene parts accordingly. I resized the TA-4F panel based on an empty instrument panel I found online where the width was indicated. In your case, the CDkit F-18 instrument panel might provide good info too. I can see it mentions 26" as the width of the F-18 IP.

Great work, crackerjazz, a very cool build and you're teaching me some great techniques. I vote for the red filter, as it would add some visual interest to the finished product.....unless, of course, you make it work so it can be flipped up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Texgal, thanks for the kind words! Hi K5054NZ, thanks! -- and sorry for the lack of updates -- I got sidetracked by the Tomcat :) I knew I shouldn't have started another project --- again!

Got a question, fellas --- does anyone know what font they use exactly on the A4 instrument panel? And is it the same standard font for all US Navy aircraft? I'm trying to make the labels in a format that the dry-transfer decal service can use. Solidworks doesn't seem to have it so I'm just using the closest-looking font I could find -- but would love to find out what the font is actually called. Thanks in advance!

kjg0r7k.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz
  • 3 months later...