AMK MiG-31B/BS 1/48 February 2016

Hi all,

New information for you. See what you notice.....

Decals, box art and plastic signed off.

12552811_561282910703207_41115343475670056_n.jpg?oh=95723c0dabb9edec690ac1ad60cb5900&oe=5730B515

12494829_561283050703193_6381995820628449361_n.jpg?oh=64231969f2b9661319d5762a60f6b8b0&oe=5746BE70

12540728_561282974036534_1966608149031456951_n.jpg?oh=e4c2c47c75d67747c6b31ad204a8d915&oe=570115B5

12615153_562221680609330_6627045818248163880_o.jpg

12604783_562221720609326_5689144173564711415_o.jpg

12466061_562221703942661_8816733473774193883_o.jpg

Having taken on board feedback from this and other sites we decided to add the following items to the new release:

Germetika sealant inside and outside canopies

Photo etched seatbelts

Decals for instrument dials etc

New weapons

New pylons

Tinted canopies

Looking forward to some feedback from you all.

What is the difference between this Mig-31 and the one that was just released? It looks identical to me. Of course, I am quite the novice when it comes to Russian aircraft. They seem more complicated to figure out than all the different F-16 blocks!

Edited by gonzalo

Gonzalo,

This is the earlier Cold War version with analogue cockpit, different AAM loads and pylons.

It does not have a refuelling probe.

You can also make the very early MiG-31 sans suffixe with this kit like the early demonstrators at Farnborough airshow etc. With a little work to remove some small bumps on the lower fuselage, adding Odd Rods you have the really early MiG-31.

Could build this maybe?

mig-31.jpg

Image credit: Matt Morgan / Flickr / The Aviationist

This is the earlier Cold War version with analogue cockpit, different AAM loads and pylons.It does not have a refuelling probe.

The B definitely has the refueling probe, while I'm not sure of the BS (since IIRC it denotes the early variants upgraded to the B radar, but there was the plain MiG-31 without the probe and the 01DZ with the probe and I don't know if e.g. both got upgraded to BS or only the newer 01DZ).

Thanks for all the effort doing those extras. Can't wait for the kit to become available :)

The only nitpicks would be that it would be nice to have the observed year(s) for the decal options and that the missiles on the box (and decals) are marked e.g. R-40TD (or even R-40TD1 for the MiG-31B) and R-60M instead of the generic R-40 and R-60.

BTW, what's the color of the new canopy tint?

Edited by ijozic

BTW, what's the color of the new canopy tint?

Hi Ijozic,

The real canopy of the MiG-31's goes off into the yellow tint after years of service.

Dear Martin,

One of the problems with the original kit is the instruction sheet. Most people will build the kit based on information provided in the instruction. It is interesting to see that the kits build so far on different forums (in very different parts of the world) all have the same mistakes as far as painting the details of the kits. A bit more information would be needed to show exactly what is what and what colour it should be.

For the original MiG-31 one would need a lot of conversion even from the second B/BS AMK kit. The original MiG-31 (not only the prototypes) had a very different intake and a completely different engine exhaust as well as lots of small differences. The small differences like the antennas can be scratched but both the exhaust and the intake would need completely new parts.

Best regards

Gabor

The real canopy of the MiG-31's goes off into the yellow tint after years of service.

Yeah, I notice this on the photos, but I was asking about the new kit's canopy because it seems tinted in some dark color on the provided photo. Sorry if I missed the discussion in the other thread where the tint on the follow-up canopies was explained..

Edited by ijozic

Great news! :thumbsup:/>

p.s. Martin, I'd like to know why the panel lines is very wide?)

Hi,

I didn’t think the panel lines were too wide other than sufficient to take some panel liner, wash and various varnishes. If you’re talking about the Flory video, there are a few fundamental mistakes on the review.

This was covered before and some prefer deep lines some don’t. It is not possible to please everyone so we took a view that it is better to have a panel line that can take todays modelling methods than not.

Dear Martin,

One of the problems with the original kit is the instruction sheet. Most people will build the kit based on information provided in the instruction. It is interesting to see that the kits build so far on different forums (in very different parts of the world) all have the same mistakes as far as painting the details of the kits. A bit more information would be needed to show exactly what is what and what colour it should be.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor,

I know you are accepted to be the expert on the MiG-31 so perhaps you could email me with all the changes you think we should make in this regard and I will ensure they are made.

Considering that I do all the final checking of the manuals and boxes before printing then I can make these changes.

If we are not told where to improve then we will struggle.

Please PM me with what you need me to do and I will do it.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Wow, another $70 bucks gone like that! :rolleyes:/>/> Martin, do you have a sense when this will be available for pre-order here in the U.S.?

Happy New Year my friend!

Rick

Hi Rick,

Won’t now be until after Chinese New Year. In our effort to get the new pylons, missiles and other parts done properly we will miss the boat. Chinese New Year ends on 28th February.

The original MiG-31 (not only the prototypes) had a very different intake and a completely different engine exhaust as well as lots of small differences. The small differences like the antennas can be scratched but both the exhaust and the intake would need completely new parts.

Gabor - could you annotate some photographs for us? I was aware of the exhaust nozzle difference, but not the intakes. Do you know what time period the changes to the later style exhausts and intakes took place? The only MiG-31 I'm interested in doing would be one from the late 1980s, although probably not a very, very early production machine. Petropavlovsk Kamchatskij (865th IAP) wasn't the first place to get Foxhounds...

Tks!

J

Three visual differences:

1. Exhausts with panele lines or smooth casing

2. Humpbacked or flat form of the upper surfaces of air intake

3. Short or long type of emphasis for folding R-33 plumages

Hi Rick,

Won’t now be until after Chinese New Year. In our effort to get the new pylons, missiles and other parts done properly we will miss the boat. Chinese New Year ends on 28th February.

Well, as much as I want to add this to the stash, I surely appreciate the "get it right" attitude and I can wait. I need to also get cracking and sell my Hobby Boo-Boo Tomcats, so that I have room for AMK's versions when they come. Thanks!

Rick

Hi,

I didn’t think the panel lines were too wide other than sufficient to take some panel liner, wash and various varnishes. If you’re talking about the Flory video, there are a few fundamental mistakes on the review.

This was covered before and some prefer deep lines some don’t. It is not possible to please everyone so we took a view that it is better to have a panel line that can take todays modelling methods than not.

Hi!

Thanks! Understood you. It is an affirmative answer! :thumbsup:

Three visual differences:

1. Exhausts with panele lines or smooth casing

2. Humpbacked or flat form of the upper surfaces of air intake

3. Short or long type of emphasis for folding R-33 plumages

Hi,

Please can you email me or PM some details about the humped style intakes? Thank you very much.

How are the decals coming for the MiG-31 early? Will you please please consider doing some test aircraft with the black and white photogrammetry markings? I have a hankering to build Blue 057.