AMK MiG-31B/BS 1/48 February 2016

• 3 weeks later...

My two arrived today from Sincere.

Nice boxing and another so,I'd kit.

Hopefully AMK continue to refine there panel lines etc for the F-14 and detail etc.

Definitely a very good kit so bring on those F-14's and more importantly the Mig-25's!

Mine arrived today from Sincere Hobby.

If you thought the Mig-31BM/BSM kit couldnt' be improved, you were wrong. A more complete kit.

I can't wait for the Mig-25.

Juan

in what ways is it better than the original?, Im also eagerly awaiting the MiG 25

The new sprues for the B/BM were on show at Moson past weekend as well as the decal sheet. This means the new weapons, the new cockpit parts, new canopy and new pylons. There was no point in taking any photos as all this has already been shown here by the manufacturer. The canopy is slightly tinted, the R-40’s and the R-60 missiles look good and the decal has the instrument panels and the canopy Germetik pinks. So it is all there, no need to get it from aftermarket manufacturers.

On the other hand it was sad that at this event which is by now the biggest modelling show in Europe (next to Telford) nobody had a built kit entered in the competition or just on show. On different internet modelling forums we have seen many MiG-31’s built. It is OK to see them “In Progress“ on the screen but have to say in person they are VERY different!!! Like D.Zamarbide was at the Moson show (he was also holding a master course) and it would have been interesting to see his Spanish school version of the BM. I know he came from far away field, but so did the guy from Taiwan bringing with him a 35th scale Trumpeter Mi-24 kit. So . . . Maybe next time.

Best regards

Gabor

I wanted to come, but unfortunately my 24/7 job means, I only get one weekend free per month, and this just wasn't meant to be... maybe next year.

OK, see you next year. There is also a one day event in Bratislava, the Plastic Zima. It is fun and the trading part of the show is very good.

Best regards

Gabor

Yessir.

Has anyone seen the secret surprise in the B/BS kit yet? The clues are out there and so are the photos..... Hope you like the new additional parts to the kit,

See? We do care :)/>

Are you speaking about the Zaslon radar etching?

Best regards

Gabor

In order for it to be 100% correct, one would need to retool the front fuselage which has completely rounded section to meet the radome. Correcting it with a saw + sheet of plastic will take roughly 5 min.

And yet there is an error with the radar antenna - it should be flat on the bottom side.

The real Zaslon antenna is very different but I would say no real problem if someone wants to use the etching.

For a true representation of the Zaslon one would need a bit more scrach building.It was shown several times even in the West so there are photos of it around.

The inclusion on the etch set of the seat harness is far more important for most. Last week at Moson I had few words with HGW people and the "real" harness is in production somewhere. Well they had all information from my original harness set so it should be OK.

Best regards

Gabor

Yeah, it's actually kind of way off. If you sand off the flat mounting ring and attach inside the nose, it'd be a lot closer. Or else cut a slot in the nose about 1 - 2 mm from the end, and slide the PE in there. Then flatten the bottom and add a clear/gold plastic cover over the opening. (and ignore the T-shaped spacers)

DN-ST-92-02246.JPEG

http://paralay.com/t05/3082.jpg

Interesting to note, apparently it was 'upside down' on the MiG-31M. The flat spot is on top:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=240022&d=1440228759

Then flatten the bottom and add a clear/gold plastic cover over the opening. (and ignore the T-shaped spacers)

DN-ST-92-02246.JPEG

On the actual Zaslon antenna face there are two flat spots, one on top and one on bottom. It is the way the lines of the unit are built up one by one.

There is a plastic cylindrical outer cover and this one has a flat spot only on the bottom but the base of the radar is round.

The gold like transparent cover is on all new phase array units: Zaslon, Ibis, Bars . . .

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor