AMK MiG-31B/BS 1/48 February 2016

There's a review available on BM:

http://www.britmodel...s-foxhound-148/

i have the kit in my hands and

i couldn't agree more with the conclusion of the BM review :

Conclusion

AMK have made a great kit better, but there's one thing missing. That gorgeous display scheme with the blue, white and black design that was applied to an E. If that could have been incorporated into this boxing I'd have been a happy bunny. That's just me though, so don't take that as a gripe – someone is bound to come out with the decals soon, and if you're one of those someones, do let me know ASAP if not sooner.

Edited by mingwin

Building a 'Soviet' MiG-31 is very simple:

Do not use these parts:

a.gif

Remove these blisters:

6FUuqbx.jpg

Install odd rods in front of the windscreen.

Either omit the IFR probe (use part I8) for a MiG-31 idz.01 or use the IFR probe for a MiG-31DZ depending on which version/how early you want.

And then buy the Begemot decal sheet that will inevitably come out.

The very early production aircraft had different exhausts (normal, turkey feather style exhausts) and intakes. Somewhere around '85 or '86 (IIRC) they changed to the 'shroud' style exhausts provided by AMK. So skipping the IFR probe, removing the blisters and adding odd rods will give you one of the MiG-31 idz.01 built between ~1985 and 1988.

Production switched to the MiG-31DZ from '89 - 90; the only significant difference for the modeller is the IFR probe.

If you build the kit OOB, you'll have a MiG-31B, which was built from '90 - 94, and which was developed because the US had obtained information on the aircraft's radar systems.

Soon after, they began updating the compromised radar on the DZ aircraft. These overhauled aircraft were re-designated MiG-31BS

So there are a few options, depending on just how 'Soviet' you want to get.

The very early production aircraft had different exhausts (normal, turkey feather style exhausts) and intakes. Somewhere around '85 or '86 (IIRC) they changed to the 'shroud' style exhausts provided by AMK. So skipping the IFR probe, removing the blisters and adding odd rods will give you one of the MiG-31 idz.01 built between ~1985 and 1988.

For the early version you need also to have the early style of air intakes, different instrument panel, the part holding the panel in front of system operator (kit part M4) was of different construction, early K-36 seats . . .

Begemot decal is the best around, a full set of stencils included, for example: it has all the fuel tank filler decals from the top of the fuselage on left hand side . . .

The Czech HGW dry decal is also good (it is a perfect copy of the AMK decal) but very hard to get, as far as I know they run out of the BM/BSM decal completely and the HGW 31B/BS is still not released just as the harness decal for ejection seat.

Best regards

Gabor

Building a 'Soviet' MiG-31 is very simple:

Do not use these parts:

a.gif

That isnt relevant for the B/BS kit. These are MiG-31BM spesific things, which the B/BS kit doesnt use anyway. As to the blisters, technically one can build MiG-31B OOB and that is Soviet. SU still existed between ~89-91. :P

Soon after, they began updating the compromised radar on the DZ aircraft. These overhauled aircraft were re-designated MiG-31BS

No, MiG-31DZ and MiG-31BS are different aircraft, DZ were never updated. They updated MiG-31 Izd.01 ie "vanilla" ones without the refuel probe which DZ has of course.

Maybe AMK will release a third version of the MiG-31. This time an early type... hint hint.

The MiG-31B/BS boxing IS the early type, atleast the majority of the early types. All you need to do is to add some odd rods and remove the blisters on the underside, and voila you have covered like 90% of the early MiG-31's. The remaining 10% are those with the early humpback intakes and early exhaust but there is little to no good reason for AMK to tool those.

The MiG-31B/BS boxing IS the early type, atleast the majority of the early types. All you need to do is to add some odd rods and remove the blisters on the underside, and voila you have covered like 90% of the early MiG-31's. The remaining 10% are those with the early humpback intakes and early exhaust but there is little to no good reason for AMK to tool those.

Yeah, but the MiG-31 was an iconic Soviet plane first IMHO, so it can seem a bit odd that AMK won't capitalize on that and release a dedicated boxing with Soviet decals and these few bits. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. Personally, it would make more sense than the B/BS boxing.

Edited by ijozic

There is no problem witht he B/BS kit. But sure it would cover the whole 31 family better if the original MiG-31 is produced also by AMK (but they said that they will not do such thing somewhere earlier in this forum). One can say that the "modern" B/BS and BM versions are of interest only and completely downgrade the original MiG-31, but they have seen extensive service with VVS of the SSSR or to be more precise the PVO. It is due to their role and very secretive role in the PVO why there is little info about them and their service career, have to add that this is so only in the West!!! The early 31's also had "named" aircraft and the very first one (a/c 374) shown in the West with its colourfull paint scheme!!!! So.

A new sprue would be needed for this with more parts than on the new sprue of the B/BS kit. I am not sure if AMK is interested in this at all, they rather invest in new kits. This is both good news (for all the F-14, MiG-25, L-29 . . . fans) and bad news from the point of view of those who whould love to have an early MiG-31 in all its glory!

A short note: Famous Airplanes of the World has revisited the MiG-25 / MiG-31 theme with book No. 172. It is not the same as the one from year 2000, No.83. There is a lot of difference, new(old) photos but in most cases it is now an exclusive Yefim Gordon publication and all the excellent and what is more important recent photos by Katsuhiko Tokunaga have been left out from the second edition. :(/>/>/>

The two books side by side make the picture of the 25 and 31 better.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Yeah, but the MiG-31 was an iconic Soviet plane first IMHO, so it can seem a bit odd that AMK won't capitalize on that and release a dedicated boxing with Soviet decals and these few bits. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. Personally, it would make more sense than the B/BS boxing.

Since AMK has previously stated that they aren't going to produce the very early '31, I think it makes much more sense to lobby the resin aftermarket guys, like Steel Beach, DMold, AMS or even Lone Star. I'll bet one of those guys would be willing to undertake this project, particularly if one of the MiG guru's here will help them out with references.

Rick

Edited by madmanrick

There is no problem witht he B/BS kit. But sure it would cover the whole 31 family better if the original MiG-31 is produced also by AMK (but they said that they will not do such thing somewhere earlier in this forum). One can say that the "modern" B/BS and BM versions are of interest only and completely downgrade the original MiG-31, but they have seen extensive service with VVS of the SSSR or to be more precise the PVO. It is due to their role and very secretive role in the PVO why there is little info about them and their service career, have to add that this is so only in the West!!! The early 31's also had "named" aircraft and the very first one (a/c 374) shown in the West with its colourfull paint scheme!!!! So.

A new sprue would be needed for this with more parts than on the new sprue of the B/BS kit. I am not sure if AMK is interested in this at all, they rather invest in new kits. This is both good news (for all the F-14, MiG-25, L-29 . . . fans) and bad news from the point of view of those who whould love to have an early MiG-31 in all its glory!

A short note: Famous Airplanes of the World has revisited the MiG-25 / MiG-31 theme with book No. 172. It is not the same as the one from year 2000, No.83. There is a lot of difference, new(old) photos but in most cases it is now an exclusive Yefim Gordon publication and all the excellent and what is more important recent photos by Katsuhiko Tokunaga have been left out from the second edition. :(/>/>/>/>

The two books side by side make the picture of the 25 and 31 better.

Best regards

Gabor

thanks for the info! I just bought the book from HLJ