AMK MiG-31B/BS 1/48 February 2016

Hi Rick,

Sorry. I have been abroad on business and with very little time for forums.

We have been designing some amazing new items for you guys. I can’t wait to tell you about them. Long awaited and very much needed I think.

As far as the MiG-31B/BS:

News out very soon.

I should hear a complete timeline on releases later on next week. I was expecting a conversation with HQ today but we moved our website to a new server which caused some problems.

Not to worry, I will report to you on dates as soon as I can.

Do you need or want to know anything specific? I will ask and report back.

One other thing. The tinted windows, were those done with the gold tint or just aged yellow?

Aged yellow! It is a "special" type of plexiglass which has the bad habit of going yellow from too much UV light. It was the same with the MiG-23 canopies. The front windshield is of course a layered glass and it stays clear. So rememeber when building the kit that only the side panels and the canopy will go yellow!

The other question: the BM and BSM have a more superiour AAM set so there is no need or reason why to use the good old R-60.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

I see in this release it has the R-60 Aphid dual under wing launchers. Do the later BM/BSM carry this setup too?

Covered many many times - no. All the weapons MiG-31BM/BSM can use are in the box. All the weapons MiG-31B/BS can use are in the box.

Do you need or want to know anything specific? I will ask and report back.

Martin, understand about the travel thing, I have also been away doing the same. I am mainly just wondering when your next version of the Mig-31 will be available for pre-order? I guess while I am at it, I would love to hear how the Tomcats are shaping up (no pun intended)? Take care,

Rick

The front windshield is of course a layered glass and it stays clear. So rememeber when building the kit that only the side panels and the canopy will go yellow!

So in other words, as nice as it is to have the tinted parts in the new kit, you have to use the clear parts and tint them manually anyway. Crap. :(

So in other words, as nice as it is to have the tinted parts in the new kit, you have to use the clear parts and tint them manually anyway. Crap. :(/>

It is not crap.

It is just the front windshield which is completely clear! Apart from this you have six canopy surfaces which “go yellow” so if you ask me I would rather have the canopy made from tinted plastic and don’t bother with the front windshield. It is far better than to try to make it properly tinted at home. If someone wants to have it all authentic then he still has the option of canopies from clear plastic and can play around with tinting all by himself and leaving out the front windshield in the process!

One more thing you have black anti glare surfaces under the front windshield so not much is going to be seen of the tinted windshield anyway!

Best regards

Gabor

It is not crap.

Sorry. I meant 'crap' as in, 'darnit', not that your comment was crap.

My thinking being, to be 'accurate', you've got to use the clear windscreen, mask off the centre pane and tint the sides. If you ONLY tint the windscreen, and use the pre-tinted canopies, the tint probably won't match, and will look weird... which means you're probably going to want to tint *all* the clear parts to have consistency among the colour**. In other words, really nice touch that AMK is including tinted parts, but unfortunately, I/you/we are are going to have to tint the clear parts ourselves, anyway.

**Although that's probably not a terrible thing anyway - you can see different degrees of yellowing on the real thing, too.

Aged yellow! It is a "special" type of plexiglass which has the bad habit of going yellow from too much UV light. It was the same with the MiG-23 canopies. The front windshield is of course a layered glass and it stays clear. So rememeber when building the kit that only the side panels and the canopy will go yellow!

The other question: the BM and BSM have a more superiour AAM set so there is no need or reason why to use the good old R-60.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Gabor!

You were very helpful with your response.

I am still learning about a lot of the Russian missiles as well as some of the aircraft.

Sorry. I meant 'crap' as in, 'darnit', not that your comment was crap.

My thinking being, to be 'accurate', you've got to use the clear windscreen, mask off the centre pane and tint the sides. If you ONLY tint the windscreen, and use the pre-tinted canopies, the tint probably won't match, and will look weird... which means you're probably going to want to tint *all* the clear parts to have consistency among the colour**. In other words, really nice touch that AMK is including tinted parts, but unfortunately, I/you/we are are going to have to tint the clear parts ourselves, anyway.

**Although that's probably not a terrible thing anyway - you can see different degrees of yellowing on the real thing, too.

The clear parts have a yellow tint. This cannot be clearly seen in the photos because of the blue background. No need to tint them :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

This kit has now been packed and is about to leave our factory for your distributors and retailers.

We took on board the feedback you gave us and we now include the Germetik (pink coloured sealant) in decal form, instrument dials and cockpit in decal form and new photo-etch seatbelts.

We really hope you like our latest rendition of this amazing interceptor aircraft.

88008%20Foxhound%20BS_zpsqdofw06z.jpg

MiG-31B_BS_Decals_X6_zpshhccgwja.jpg

Edited by Martin @ AMK Models