CD48111 - FB-111A

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:47 PM, Hooker169 said:

Its amazing how many people have affection for the FB. Whitey, Dutch, I also grew up in the area, about 20 miles north in Rochester. Every time we heard jets overhead my brother and I would run outside to see if it was a pair of FB's or a KC -135A.

And those airshows,,,,,,, nothing will ever beat cold war era SAC airshows!

Cool! I grew up and still live in Rochester. I remember as a kid just about every evening around 7:00 o'clock a pair of FBs would head out. Used to stop what ever I was doing and watch them until they were out of sight. The airshows at Pease were awesome as well, really miss those. 

• 3 weeks later...

Grew up in MA but saw a lot of Pease jets at local airshows.  Also seemed like everytime I drove up/down 95 in the Portsmouth area, there were always one or two FB's in the pattern.   Just a beautiful, sinister jet.  

Somewhere in all my old pics, I've got some of "Ready Teddy", A Pease FB with some really cool noseart.  I'll see if I can dig them up. 

On 11/1/2017 at 10:37 AM, KursadA said:

I get so many e-mails about this sheet, including a few angry ones.  It is still in the works, with a few research gaps that need to be filled. Keep in mind that this is a subject from the dark ages before digital photography, back when the ancestors of today's Millennials had to use "film" and mix caustic chemicals in darkened rooms to print primitive photographic images . It takes a while to get everything just right. I hope to finish the design soon, but do not have an ETA for you just yet.

WORD!

• 2 weeks later...

Anthony,

284 was an FB at Pease which a coworker crewed in the late eighties. It carried a "modified" version of the classic 509th B-29 nose art Next Objective. During research Ive found that an additional FB, ship 257 also carried the "original" B-29 nose art.

Here are several images of each, although I'm running into the same problem KursadA mentioned as far as finding suitable images of the nose art to convert to vector.b64mBP.pngnSn2oY.pngS2o3Zj.jpgn4wv6X.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Glad we could assist! 

While researching the apple it seemed like in most cases the sword pointed forwards until I came across the pic of 249 above which debunked that theory. Maybe it would be worth including 4 apples total, 2 left and 2 right to cover all possible combinations?

Either way, great work! 

Feel free to reach out for other missing bits, these guys on here are an amazing resource!

You guys have kick-started this project, and I managed to finish a few options today. I could now use a photo of the low-vis 380th BW emblem as applied to the port side front fuselage during the "Dark Vark" paint scheme period. I found a few good photos of the 509th BW emblem and drew it quickly, but no luck with the 380th. The low-vis versions usually differ slightly from the full-color versions (which could usually be easily found online), and a good photo would be useful.

Edited by KursadA
1 hour ago, KursadA said:

You guys have kick-started this project, and I managed to finish a few options today. I could now use a photo of the low-vis 380th BW emblem as applied to the port side front fuselage during the "Dark Vark" paint scheme period. I found a few good photos of the 509th BW emblem and drew it quickly, but no luck with the 380th. The low-vis versions usually differ slightly from the full-color versions (which could usually be easily found online), and a good photo would be useful.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/77623-general-dynamics-f-111-aardvark/

it's a museum bird but from the photos I could find online of operation aircraft the colors seem right. Hope that helps!

Edited by achterkirch

A76RCd.jpgThis is a cropped picture I took of the cockpit door last month on a visit to the SAC museum in Omaha. I should have focused on the markings but I had no idea.

u2HlgI.png

This will be easier to convert but more work to change colors and text.

Finished  "Max Effort" (69-6509) and "Strange Cargo" (69-6508) tonight - will continue with more options tomorrow and next week. It looks like I should be able to fit 8-10 options on this one, covering both Pease and Plattsburgh units in addition to one from 4007th CCTS. I will try to cover both SIOP and "Dark Vark" schemes if I can - both of them seem to have minimal stencilling on the airframe, which will be included.

47lycx.jpgf0foGZ.jpgy4umXO.jpgfb15FJ.jpg

Ship 287 is interesting because she now resides at the Wings over the Rockies museum in Denver.

If you look just above the USAF and serial number on the stab you can see where the New Hampshire Ol’ man was painted over when she left Pease.

Edited by Hooker169
Fat fingers