CD48111 - FB-111A

Not 100% sure that ALL FB-111As had the Astrotracker system, but it is probable, since it was the standard navigation package for type.  The Academy kit has a circle molded into the upper nose, forward of the canopy, which I presume is intended to be the Astrotracker window.  However, it is not accurate; The Academy kit has it rounded and following of the curvature of the airframe.  In reality, the Astrotracker system was slightly built up/bulging, with flat airframe surfaces and a flat glass window.  If you get the 1/72 Hasegawa FB-111A, they have the appropriately shaped part for this component. 

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

JNEjc1.jpggTkZt4.jpg                                                                                                                                

I just finished ship 508 ‘Strange Cargo’ using the Caracal Dark Vark sheet. These decals are superb! Super thin but tough so you don’t have to worry about tearing them. I used Future to set them so not sure how sol/set will be but I wouldn’t foresee any difficulties.

The artwork, size and colors are spot on and I believe Caracal has the best decals on the market right now!

Edited by Hooker169

Great to see this sheet being used so quickly : your Dark Vark looks great and I am glad you enjoyed using them. I had some concerns on how the gray would have looked on the dark camouflage colors but your build assured me that I got the color right.

The feedback to this sheet was overwhelmingly positive and will help me design an even better 1/72 version (with a couple more options) and the SIOP FB-111A sheet in the works - these will be among the first things I will be working on as soon as I am back the USA in a couple of weeks..

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just a quick question.  Did only the FB-111A (& F-111G by extenstion) have the RAM panels inside the intakes?  Or did the other Triple Plow II equipped aircraft (F-111D/E/F) also carry them?  What about the EF-111A Spark Vark?

Besides, I couldn't resist another peek at Mike's beautiful Dark 'Vark.  Really nice work.  I am jealous.

K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
On 6/15/2021 at 5:41 PM, Dutch said:

Just a quick question.  Did only the FB-111A (& F-111G by extenstion) have the RAM panels inside the intakes?  Or did the other Triple Plow II equipped aircraft (F-111D/E/F) also carry them?  What about the EF-111A Spark Vark?

Besides, I couldn't resist another peek at Mike's beautiful Dark 'Vark.  Really nice work.  I am jealous.

K/r, Dutch

That’s very kind of you Dutch, but I’ve seen your work and there’s no reason for you to be jealous! I’ve learned a thing or two from you as a matter of fact.

Regarding your question, I’ve only seen TPII inlets with the Ram panels. I haven’t seen, or I can’t find any TPI intakes with Ram. That’s obviously not saying they weren’t mod’d later though.

Maybe Mr. Vark could chime in here and give us a definitive answer.

Mike

Mike, Thanks for the praise.  At least you finish your kits.  Many times I have great ambitions for  a kit, get started and then life gets in the way and it sits in a box forever.  I find myself busier now than when COVID hit.  Not much time for the hobby.  Good point about Jim Rotamel. Which reminds me, he did a series of articles on the F-111 models.  Ahhh!  Here is the answer: 

K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...