ARC Discussion Forums
KursadA

CD48111 - FB-111A

Question about FB-111's.

Did all FB's have the Astro Tracker System in the nose? And does the Academy FB-111 kit have a different nose than there other kits that include this?

Thanks,

Ron

Not 100% sure that ALL FB-111As had the Astrotracker system, but it is probable, since it was the standard navigation package for type.  The Academy kit has a circle molded into the upper nose, forward of the canopy, which I presume is intended to be the Astrotracker window.  However, it is not accurate; The Academy kit has it rounded and following of the curvature of the airframe.  In reality, the Astrotracker system was slightly built up/bulging, with flat airframe surfaces and a flat glass window.  If you get the 1/72 Hasegawa FB-111A, they have the appropriately shaped part for this component. 

Rod

Thanks Rod! That's what I suspected. I knew the Hasegawa 1/72 kits had the profile right, but didn't think the Academy kit had this feature.

Ron

Ron, I'll bring my old example, that's up for rebuild with these new decals, over so you can laugh and see what it needs...other than me building it...

Jeff

Posted (edited)

JNEjc1.jpggTkZt4.jpg                                                                                                                                

I just finished ship 508 ‘Strange Cargo’ using the Caracal Dark Vark sheet. These decals are superb! Super thin but tough so you don’t have to worry about tearing them. I used Future to set them so not sure how sol/set will be but I wouldn’t foresee any difficulties.

The artwork, size and colors are spot on and I believe Caracal has the best decals on the market right now!

Edited by Hooker169

Great to see this sheet being used so quickly : your Dark Vark looks great and I am glad you enjoyed using them. I had some concerns on how the gray would have looked on the dark camouflage colors but your build assured me that I got the color right.

The feedback to this sheet was overwhelmingly positive and will help me design an even better 1/72 version (with a couple more options) and the SIOP FB-111A sheet in the works - these will be among the first things I will be working on as soon as I am back the USA in a couple of weeks..