CD48111 - FB-111A

Done! 'Liberator II" (68-0287) is also added to the artwork.

Next, I would like to add "Next Objective", "Top Secret" and "Straight Flush" to the sheet, and then move on to the Plattsburgh jets (most likely "Net Results" and 'A Wing An' 10 Prayers"). 

Edited by KursadA

The Plattsburgh birds had some outstanding artwork on them!  If I may, I would recommend SAC Time(80286), Queen Hi(80289), Sleepy Time Gal(80255) or Angel in de Skies(80265), all Dark Vark scheme. SIOP - Sleepy Time Gal(!!)(96510), and Lucky Strike(80244).

Not that I'm excited about this sheet or anything.....

13 hours ago, KursadA said:

Done! 'Liberator II" (68-0287) is also added to the artwork.

Next, I would like to add "Next Objective", "Top Secret" and "Straight Flush" to the sheet, and then move on to the Plattsburgh jets (most likely "Net Results" and 'A Wing An' 10 Prayers"). 

4Muy3k.jpg8qkESI.jpg

69-6503 “straight flush”

ON0YUM.jpgsyUeRH.jpgojOoxZ.jpg

Looks like a white circle background on “Top Secret” 69-6513

These are the best two color I could find. Not sure if the clip art will convert but you might be able to get it off the B-29.

“Next Objective” was posted earlier and that was the best also.

As far as Plattsburgh jets go there aren’t many if any close ups of the nose art I can find. Maybe some guys will come across personal photos like Raptor01 did of “Top Secret” on a different thread.

One thing to mention is it seems that the art was applied to both left and right nose gear doors, not just one side like I thought.

Thanks - I also found a personal photo with "Top Secret" on Flickr which shows the white background and some of the details. I am aware that the 509th applied the landing gear door artwork on both sides; whereas the 308th applied art on starboard front fuselage only.

Edited by KursadA

I made more progress during the weekend - it's amazing how fast this project has advanced after almost a year of inactivity. A little prodding and consistent harassment friendly encouragement goes a long way. 

It looks like there is enough space on the sheet for 8 "Dark Varks" but not much else. Which means that I will probably do a separate sheet for the SIOP/earlier schemes later in the year. 

Great news Kursad!! Can’t wait to see some profiles 😁

I kinda agree, the SIOP jets could easily fill up another sheet entirely. Plus the “Caracal Dark Varks” sheet has a nice ring to it!

Btw, any luck getting the Plattsburgh nose art close ups? I’ve found several of “Queen Hi” and “SAC Time” but they are all taken 50 yards away and less than desirable for drawing.

I think I speak for most of the guys awaiting this product, in that we are glad that it was you and Caracal Models who chose this subject. We’re excited since all your other sheets have been next level and this one will surely be no different.

I found this one on a forum that 68-0274 wore in Plattsburgh. The thread mentioned it was positioned behind the WSO canopy. I found on another blog that she did indeed wear this nose art but Unfortunately I can’t find a pic of 274 sporting “Missouri Miss” to confirm. One SIOP scheme and one Dark Vark scheme I came across both show 274 with no nose art, no apple just basic markings.7MmEr4.jpg

I have photos of three Plattsburgh jets with enough detail to draw 1/48 artwork; so I think I have everything I need here. I just finished stencilling and all of the Pease jets this past weekend, and I should be able to finish this sheet soon, on time for the massive March batch of releases.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, IAGeezer said:

By any chance, will there be intake RAM panels on this sheet? I'm about to go crosseyed masking these things!

I was not planning any, but this is a great idea. What do they look like? Should they be shaped for the Academy or HB kits?

My vote would be for the Academy/Hobbycraft kits, but I may be a bit selfish... The RAM panels were only applied to the Triple Plow II jets, F-111D/E/F, and all FB-111As  save the very first one.  Once again, Jim Rotramel to the rescue on the inlets.... http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/f111indetailjr_1.htm   If I am being too free with Mr. Vark's stuff, let me know and I will pull the link.

I've got several pictures of the intakes and RAM panels on the FB at the SAC museum in Omaha, but I have not actually measured the panels themselves. I don't know how to post pics here on ARC(yet), but would be happy to email you the pics if you'd be interested.

PS I did go cross-eyed...

Cheers!

I looked into this - these markings are not exactly small, folks. I designed the sheet around two sets of stencils. Adding these will most certainly mean getting rid of one of these, and a shed load of work rearranging stuff. I will try to do it as a separate, perhaps optional, sheet that I can reuse for both of the SAC FB-111 sheets (the DarkVark sheet and the other one) I am planning.

17 hours ago, KursadA said:

I looked into this - these markings are not exactly small, folks. I designed the sheet around two sets of stencils. Adding these will most certainly mean getting rid of one of these, and a shed load of work rearranging stuff. I will try to do it as a separate, perhaps optional, sheet that I can reuse for both of the SAC FB-111 sheets (the DarkVark sheet and the other one) I am planning.

No worries. I'm just happy that you would even consider the suggestion! Don't change a thing on the sheet at this stage of the game! From all I've gathered on this thread, this is going to be a great sheet that will fill a big void for all the 'Vark fans out there. I've learned patience (pre-ordered the AMK F-14!), and this will be worth the wait. Thank you!

22 hours ago, KursadA said:

At first I didn’t think these would be a big deal but as I just got done masking mine on my HB kit, I researched them and they aren’t just the two panels on the inboard side of the inlet. There are several more on the top of the inlet and one large one on the outboard side of the inlet extending from top to bottom. I think just the large one would be close to 1 inch long by a 1/2 inch wide in real time, that would cover a ton of realestate on that sheet.  If it came down to either an additional jet or RAM panels, I’d take the jet.

I just found an old print article on the FB Farewell ceremony at Plattsburg in 1991. Several B&W pics and a few good color shots. Featured:

69-6510 Sleepy Time Gal & special 380th artwork

68-0249 Little Joe, also a stbd shot of the tail showing the sword pointing forward and another showing the lo-vis 380 badge under the port cockpit

68-0284 Laggin’ Dragon

67-7192 Slightly Dangerous (1988)

67-0163 Moonlight Maid (1988)

Let me know if these would be of interest. 

Edited by habu2
On 1/31/2018 at 11:51 PM, habu2 said:

I just found an old print article on the FB Farewell ceremony at Plattsburg in 1991. Several B&W pics and a few good color shots. Featured:

Let me know if these would be of interest. 

I am definitely interested - I will send you an e-mail separately. Thanks!

On 1/24/2018 at 5:26 PM, KursadA said:

A separate stencil sheet to include RAM panels? I have several E and F models with resin intakes and I'm not looking forward to masking those panels. 

I would be very willing to buy a few stencil sheets that included the RAM panels! 

cheers,
Mike

On 1/25/2018 at 4:24 PM, Hooker169 said:

At first I didn’t think these would be a big deal but as I just got done masking mine on my HB kit, I researched them and they aren’t just the two panels on the inboard side of the inlet. There are several more on the top of the inlet and one large one on the outboard side of the inlet extending from top to bottom. I think just the large one would be close to 1 inch long by a 1/2 inch wide in real time, that would cover a ton of realestate on that sheet.  If it came down to either an additional jet or RAM panels, I’d take the jet.

I'd opt for the RAM panels,  they are pretty hard (if not impossible, for a guy like me) to replicate. 

f-111e_67-0120_34_of_69.jpg

Absolutely no doubt they are a pain, I completely agree. If he adds them as a separate insert sheet definitely!

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

I'd opt for the RAM panels,  they are pretty hard (if not impossible, for a guy like me) to replicate. 

f-111e_67-0120_34_of_69.jpg