CD48111 - FB-111A

This is from a post made by GEH737 on a previous thread.

On 12/23/2017 at 7:58 PM, GEH737 said:

Not sure if this is operationally accurate.  But here's some intake images of the FB-111 in the Dark Vark scheme at the Strategic Air Command Museum in Omaha

BtlQByN.jpg

1e9dsvL.jpg

xGrg9fS.jpg

Qj2MMF9.jpg

On 2/3/2018 at 4:47 PM, Piker38 said:

Count me in for several sets of RAM panels, whether included in the decal set, or separate.

Damn difficult to mask and paint any other way............ 

Me too!

On 1/31/2018 at 11:51 PM, habu2 said:

I just found an old print article on the FB Farewell ceremony at Plattsburg in 1991. Several B&W pics and a few good color shots.

Submitted for consideration:

67-0163  Moonlight Maid

YWFD5Ui.jpg

67-7192  Slightly Dangerous

WkxzsOw.jpg

68-0249  Little Joe

afYT67k.jpg

68-6510  port side

RWaO5BS.jpg

68-0249  stbd tail, sword pointing fwd

3jLixYa.jpg

Many thanks to habu2 for sharing these - at least two of these will be included on the sheet, most likely MIdnight Maid and Slightly Dangerous. I will share the drafts as soon as I get the RAM panels right ..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK - this sheet is almost done, and I will post the draft (but not the profiles yet) in a few days. I was able to squeeze in 8 options (5 from Pease and 3 from Plattsburgh) on this one, along with one set of stencils. 

A couple points:

-The intake RAM markings will be a separate (optional) sheet, most likely the first item in my new line of decals with simpler general purpose markings (stencilling, national insignia, some structural markings etc.).

-I was not able to find accurate crew names for all options on the sheet. Keep in mind that these date from the late 1980s-early 1990s, and I do not have the luxury of getting recent photos showing the crew names.  In the name of full disclosure and transparency; be aware that I used artistic licence with the crew names. Unless someone invents a time machine anytime soon, this is the best I could do. There will be blank crew name tags if you don't feel comfortable with this.

That said, I think it turned out to be a very nice sheet and I hope many of you will like it. 

Very good Kursad! Sounds like a reasonable approach for the stenciling and RAM panels. It’s simply impossible to add 8 sets of stencils for all the aircraft. This way we can purchase sets for however many we plan to build.

As far as crew names, I believe most of that data has been lost to foggy memories and the sands of time. I actually joined 380th BW crew chiefs Facebook page to poke around for guys who has reference shots or at least rememberd crews so I could pass them on to you. No one could provide any shots and it seems the aircraft swapped hands often or changed either primary crew chief or assistant crew chief sometimes on a monthly basis. As a matter of fact, one crew chief said he was primary on 3 different aircraft while stationed at Plattsburgh.  

So, I totally get it and I think your solution is perfect.

All I can tell you is I’m super geeked for this sheet and thanks for all the hard work. I know you’ll be rewarded by this sheet selling out quickly!

The options on the sheet will be:

-FB-111A  69-6509 "Max Effort / Spirit of the Seacoast"

-FB-111A  69-6508 "Strange Cargo"

-FB-111A  68-0287 "Liberator II"

-FB-111A  69-0284 "Next Objective"

-FB-111A  69-6513 "Top Secret"

-FB-111A  68-0265 "Net Results"

-FB-111A  67-0163 "Moonlight Maid"

-FB-111A  67-7192 "Slightly Dangerous"

-FB-111A  69-6507 "Madame Queen"

Nine options, a good mix of Dark Varks from both Pease and Plattsburgh, correct stencilling for one aircraft. I hope you will like this one - there will be a second sheet in the next few months for FB-111A's in other schemes.

cd48111draft.jpg

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

I'd be interested to know what other camo schemes the second sheet will have.

I’m pretty sure Kursad mentioned he has most of the artwork drawn for an earlier (early 70’s and 80’s) SIOP schemed FB-111A sheet,,,,,,,,, although nothing official:coolio:

With nine options and one set of stencils this means having to buy multiple shhets to build other options.

Is there a chance you can include additional stencil sets with the RAM sheet?

2 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

I’m pretty sure Kursad mentioned he has most of the artwork drawn for an earlier (early 70’s and 80’s) SIOP schemed FB-111A sheet,,,,,,,,, although nothing official:coolio:

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...