1/72 Airfix Hurricane Mk.I Belgian Air Force

Hi guys,

It has been a long while, but I re-started another model.

I already started it early last year, but haven't had the time to do modeling since then.

This time it's the 1/72 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I early war model.

29dcfe21-df08-4e95-aed3-0ff2022c669_zps91748349.jpg

Plan is to build in early war Belgian Air Force colours.

I bought some goodies for it.

- AML resin 5-spoke wheels to replace the wrong 4-spoke ones provided by Airfix.

- SBS resin exhausts

- Peewit canopy masks

IMG_8224.jpg

Building started of with tackling the huge ejector pin holes on the lower fuselage with some liquid plastic (glue and sprue chuncks).

20140418_081842_Android.jpg

Later I added some scratchbuilding to the radiator and cockpit, to spice it up a little.

DSC_0014_1.jpg

20140417_223301_Android.jpg

DSC_0009_1.jpg

Edited by Flyingraptor
  • 2 months later...

Okay, the work continues...

The fuselage and wings have been glued and primed.

Although the fitment could have been better.

The leading edge of the wings needed putty here and there.

The trailing edges were much too tick for this scale and required some thinning. Afterwards they still needed more putty to fill the gap.

Also the attachment of the wings to the fuselage needed quite some putty.

Next, I also scratchbuilt a gunsight.

IMG_8249.jpg

IMG_8247.jpg

IMG_8248.jpg

Afterwards, the base colours were sprayed: Mr. Hobby Acrylic for the Dark Earth and Dark Green and Revell enamel for the Aluminium dope.

I first used Vallejo Air aluminium for the dope colour, but that led to many sputters.

I found online quite some reviews of people who had used the Vallejo Air Mettalics with the same (negative) effect.

Luckily it went smoother with the Revell enamel.

IMG_8254.jpg

IMG_8255.jpg

Brakelines have been added, and some smaller parts were painted too, as were the resin exhausts and wheels.

IMG_8257.jpg

Edited by Flyingraptor

Just found your WIP, and I'm quite impressed at the level of detail you're bringing it up to. The cockpit really looks quite good, and closer to scale effect with all that PE, especially for the Belts and harness. Just an excellent camo paint scheme with no apparent errors to be seen. looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Nice crisp camouflage you have there :thumbsup: . Great detail added to the cockpit. How are you finding the fit? You have a nice looking Hurricane on the go. Looking forward to more updates.

:cheers:

Thanks for the response guys, really appreciated!

I created some masks for the camo by putting wide low-tacking masking tape on top of a 1/72 scaled paper profile of the RAF B-scheme camo, cutting them out and pasting the tape on the model. I used that technique before on the Revell 1/72 Hurricane Mk.IIc, and it turned out well. I like the crisp delineation it gives, which is most appropriate for the scale.

@ Don: The fit is okay, but fitting the fuselage to the wings could have been better. It needed more putty that I expected.

Also the leading edges needed filling, as did the trailing edges (which were quite tick and needed thinning).

The Hurri is gloss coated and decals are placed:

IMG_8266.jpg

IMG_8260.jpg

IMG_8265.jpg

IMG_8256.jpg

Edited by Flyingraptor