Thanks Chris. Yes, they do indeed need a lot more putty work to blend them in. What's there now is simply there to fill in the crack between the tube and the sphere and establish a strong joint. I wanted to make sure that was a good solid bond before adding the fillet material so when I start sanding on it hopefully they won't break off. I really appreciate the comments and please keep me in-line by pointing out stuff like that. I'd rather hear it now than after it's done and too late.

Bill

Thanks Chris. Yes, they do indeed need a lot more putty work to blend them in. What's there now is simply there to fill in the crack between the tube and the sphere and establish a strong joint. I wanted to make sure that was a good solid bond before adding the fillet material so when I start sanding on it hopefully they won't break off. I really appreciate the comments and please keep me in-line by pointing out stuff like that. I'd rather hear it now than after it's done and too late.

Bill

No problem I can probably comment lots but don't want to seem lika a know it all :lol:

As for what you should put in that middle rotating thruster, how about some sort of eyelid petals that are closed in most of the way. You can put some sort of rings on the inside with ribs to make it look like a combustion protonion thruster :)

Edited by skyhawk174

Thanks guys.

I've starting playing around with lighting ideas. I found a red LED that was mounting in a metal casing, I think from an industrial control panel, and it seems to fit the bill. I mounted it to a cheap flashlight reflector to see how it would look. It doesn't have the mechanical rotatable look of the real eye, but I think it's pretty convincing if I can't come up with something better. This will have to have a curved lens in front of it and I'll want to find a better reflector that's not chipped up but here is what I have so far. It's just loosely placed in the eye socket for now. (ignore the rough fillet around the face structure, that will all have to be built up and smoothed in)

IMAG0385_zpsglncqo1x.jpg

Bill

Edited by niart17
  • 3 weeks later...

Not really an update, just a statement. After making one of the side gun pods and trying to figure out how best to replicate it, I decided to order them from shapways instead. They are on the way now so should have them in a few days. I ordered them in WSF so the surface isn't going to be great, but since it's mostly a simple concave disk, it shouldn't be too hard to work with them and get them smooth. I'll likely have to redefine the panel lines after all the smoothing but hopefully it will end up being better than any other way. It's definitely going to be lighter than resin copying them. I'll update when I get them in.

Thanks,

BIll

My parts finally came in, a little late but they are in. Pretty happy with them. I know I'll have quite a bit or work to smooth it out but shouldn't be too too hard. Starting to look like a drone now.

DSC_0149_zps8gbdyg3w.jpg

The brackets fit perfectly. That's the big advantage of printing from the same model.

DSC_0155_zps036gbdm0.jpg

DSC_0158_zpszupcoe8t.jpg

DSC_0160_zpsomc0encf.jpg

Bill

Edited by niart17

It's really taking shape now and looking awesome! Are the guns vertical? In the first photo it appears that way but in the third the optics make it look like a v shape towards the center.

Thanks Steve, Tank. Having fun with it.

Yes they are vertical to the edge of the turrets. That pic does look like they cant in a bit. I guess a combo of the angled ends and camera distortion. On the "real" one the turrets can toe in and out using the 4 mounting brackets and pistons. I know the turrets also spin 360° but I can't tell if just the outer part spins or if the whole bracket mounting ring does as well. If the brackets do then it would give a very wide range of motion. It really is a great design.

I planned to start on one and match your progress but you're working too fast : ) I actually stopped at "search for a sphere" : ) I'll just content myself with watching your awesome updates. That drone has taken shape amazingly well in your hands -- from a simple sphere to that -- wow! And very cool how those 3D prints turned out -- can't wait to see the sides extend with the brackets visible.

Man I wish you would. I know you'd come up with some much better solutions and it would be something I could try to replicate. You are much better with the scratchbuilding...but I'ma tryin' to catch-ya I tell ya!

I actually have thought of a way to maybe have the sides positionable by making the bracket assembly pop on and off with a magnetic ring. So you'd attach the sides as-is to the magnet for a closed drone, pop them off and added the whole inner ring structure with bracket between the body and turret for an open config. I know it will work...I just don't know if I have the skills to make it work well. Time will tell.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Back with a small update. I temporarily attached one of the turrets on it's bracket assembly to see how it looks. I think the distance is about right. Now I just need to work up the system of making it easily removable but look complete with little to no seam once it's attached.

DSC_0163_zpsqeqrtcbj.jpg

DSC_0165_zps5nyd1hwu.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.

Bill

Bill that looks amazing. As for you making your side pieces removable, I like you idea for the magnetic ring. Maybe you can use those magnetic signs and cut that up. I have some about 6" x 8" and it is some sort of advertising that I have on my fridge. I am sure you can buy magnetic sheet somewhere.

The other option is those small rare earth button magnets but I think those will be too strong and getting them apart will be difficult.

Thanks Chris. I did actually decide to go with the small rare earth magnets. They would normally be too strong but the way I've mounted them on the backsides of the mating plastic pieces, the force works out perfectly. They are strong enough to hold but pull apart relatively easy. I think I'm only going to make one side removable if I can make everything accessable from one side. I've also worked a rather crude mount system for the main engine bell (ball). I used a small funnel to hold the ball in place with the top part puttied in holding it in place. Not pretty inside but it works.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of where it stands today. The black ring and inset piece are roughly painted, I will sand it down and smooth it all out before final paint. I still have to put the actuator strut mounting pieces and struts.

DSC_0183_zpsx4u6mewp.jpg

DSC_0187_zpszklpwlsw.jpg

DSC_0184_zpsenl6mgsi.jpg

DSC_0188_zpswynv6ppn.jpg

DSC_0190_zpssryldyuw.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comment, critiques and suggestions are welcome.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Thanks for looking. Comment, critiques and suggestions are welcome.

Critiques?? What?? ... are you kidding?? This is so frikkin kool!

Bill ... the only thing I'd like to see is a soda can or car tire included for scale. I can't visualize 9" diameter ... but man ... this is really, REALLY outta this world!! :worship::thumbsup:

Keep up this terrific work ... this is one o' those builds I don't wanna see come to an end!

Pete

Thanks Pete! That really means a lot coming from you. I admire your work a lot. Hopefully this doesn't deflate your interest in it but it's not 9" diameter, it's 6". But I've been told that size doesn't always matter... :whistle:/> I'll try to remember to post the obligatory coke can shot to give an idea of the size.

Bill

Edited by niart17

So... how much do I have to pay you to make me one? :P/> It can be a kit...

I also want a BB-8 :P/>

I would love to make this into a kit so I could build some more...but I don't have the skillset to accomplish that. At least not yet.

I'll sell you this one....for a really pretty penny. :whistle:

Bill

Ultra cool!!! You're about done and I just found a 6" sphere. How'd you make the exhaust swivel like that? Looks like it has a universal joint?

Originally I was just going to do a one direction swivel joint by putting an axle through the middle because I thought it only rotated up and down. Then I noticed in the stadium attack scene when one lost control it's ball rotated to the sides as well. To make that I made a crude ball joint by using a funnel to hold it in place. I lined the funnel with some silk material so it hopefully won't scrape the paint off. I don't plan on moving it much but like the ability to display it in any direction.

I can try to take a pic of the set-up to show what I mean. It's really really ugly inside...but it's not what's on the inside that counts. :woot.gif:

Bill

...and I just found a 6" sphere.

Ya know, there's something else that actually was made from a 6" sphere...

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2010/11/star-war-remote.jpg

I'm just sayin'...I have another and know where to get some...there aren't THAT many kit pieces on it so it may have to be added to the queue. :thumbsup:/>

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Still working on this between waiting for Millennium Falcon parts. I think I'm going to tone down the plan and not light it up YET. I can always go back and retrofit lighting, but I really want to get this finished enough to at least show.

I have most of the main structure all figured out but the areas that are giving me grief are the small RCS nozzle cut-outs on the sides. I tried making a small template to get the cutouts lined up and even and still with that have messed up several attempts. I believe my plan of attack now will be to 3D model a small insert with the nozzles built into it and just print 8 of them to glue in and blend with the body. I think that's my best bet as I just don't seem to have "Crackerjazz" skills when it comes to scratchbuilding. Still need to take a class from ya!

Anyway, here are a few mock up shots of where it stands now. Starting to really look like a drone. Can't wait to start slapping paint on this thing!

DSC_0249_zpshrezsvfv.jpg

DSC_0250_zpstuhcjllv.jpg

The rear left engine is just tacked in place to try out my technique. I think it's convincing enough once I add a few details.

DSC_0254_zpsadwgycvd.jpg

I hope to have more progress soon.

Bill