tU-BOOT - Tu-91 Engine Testbed

Or - putting the Boot in...

Take one of these......

Tu-91_09.jpg

.... add in one of these.....

Tu-91_10.jpg

..... mix in a little of this.....

Tu-91_11.jpg

Stew for a few weeks..... and hopefully, end up with one of these....

Tu-91_12.jpg

Watch my back.... I'm going in..... :thumbsup:

Ken

Very interesting. Cant wait to see this come together.

Neat, looks like the first step towards a Bear.

First bits of butchery - this is all done by eye as I go along - and it isn't pretty...

The lower wing-fuselage junction on the Tu-91 fuselage half is cut away to match the cross-section of the B-29 wing profile....

Tu-91_13.jpg

The front lower part of the B-29 nacelle is cut off - and taped in place - as are the Tu-91 fuselage halves...

Tu-91_14.jpg

Tu-91 fuselage and B-29 wing.....

Tu-91_15.jpg

Lower view of the fuselage and wing taped together...

Tu-91_16.jpg

Top view - the fin and rear fuselage of the Tu-91 still needs to be cut off and a fairing made...

Tu-91_17.jpg

All taped up with the B-29 fuselage to make sure it is positioned correctly...

Tu-91_18.jpg

Its all looking a bit crude - but it looks like it might work. :pray:/>

Ken

More butchery - those with a nervous disposition should look away now...... :woot.gif:/>

Time to assemble the Tu-91 fuselage - I don't know if the testbed had a fully equipped cockpit, but I assembled it anyway....

The rectangular 'floor' had to be left out as it fouled the B-29 wing profile.

Tu-91_19.jpg

The completed cockpit (minus the instrument panel and coaming) in place - along with the bifurcated jetpipe....

Tu-91_20.jpg

I had thought to just remove the fin - but then chopped off the whole rear fuselage aft of the exhaust outlets...

Tu-91_21.jpg

The jetpipe is too low to fit on top of the wing - I could either cut a hole in the wing to accomodate it - or just cut away the bottom of the jetpipe (which is unseen when the fuselage is in place)....

Tu-91_22.jpg

This is how I have decided to tackle the rear fuselage - by fitting a side profile outline from thick plastic card to establish the basic shape.....

Tu-91_23.jpg

I will add plan view shapes - then fill with scrap plastic and Milliput.

It isn't pretty - and I'm making it up as I go - plus the side drawings are just artists impressions - but there's no-one to say I've got it wrong!

Ken

I was pondering how to make the intakes in the B-29 wings - either side of the Tu-91 fuselage - when I spotted that they are already there in the Tu-91 kit.... :doh:/>/>/> :doh:/>/>/>

The Tu-91 wings were partly assembled and a section of the leading edge - complete with intakes - was cut off at an angle to cater for the B-29's leading edge sweep....

Tu-91_24.jpg

Even though I had hacked off a fair portion of the Tu-91 jetpipe, it still needed a hole cutting in the B-29 wing to get the fuselage to sit right.....

Tu-91_25.jpg

Two pieces of thick plastic card were cut to the plan view shape of the aft fuselage - and short lengths of scrap plastic sprue was cemented in place to roughly fill the gaps....

Tu-91_26.jpg

A test fit of the modified Tu-91 fuselage on top of the B-29 wing shows that it is almost ready to be attached....

Tu-91_27.jpg

Tu-91_28.jpg

The leading edge intakes are useful in establishing the 'sit' of the Tu-91 fuselage relative to the B-29 wing.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

More progress (in case anyone is following this ?).......

The B-29 kit belly radome makes a good base for the fairing on the engine nacelle.....

Tu-91_29.jpg

The first application of Milliput - roughly smoothed to shape with a wet finger....

Tu-91_30.jpg

Tu-91_31.jpg

Tu-91_32.jpg

I'm not sure how the flaps would work ? - the existing photos aren't very clear at showing the underside.

Tu-91_33.jpg

Ken

More progress (in case anyone is following this ?).......

:blink: Whut sorta a silly assumption is that, Mr Duffey? First time I'm so eager 'bout the progress of a build thread since supergru's "Flankerstein" build. :lol:

Goin' very well; clever use of the radar radome there. :thumbsup:

Keep up 'em good work!

Cheers,

Unc²

Ken............you have lost it, but in a good way :woot.gif: . I too will be following B).

Agreed - this is insane. I can barely believe it was a real thing, let alone someone tackling it in plastic! Top work thus far.

The results after the first major sanding session....

Tu-91_34.jpg

... the basic shape is established....

Tu-91_35.jpg

Lots of filling/sanding/priming - followed by more of the same - we get to this....

Tu-91_36.jpg

Tu-91_37.jpg

A bit of re-scribing still needed - but I'm happy so far.

Tu-91_38.jpg

Now - all I have to do is make the rest of the Academy B-29 - it'll be so nice to work on a kit where the parts fit together :thumbsup:/>/>

Ken

Now - all I have to do is make the rest of the Academy B-29 - it'll be so nice to work on a kit where the parts fit together :thumbsup:

You make it look so easy... In fact I think you are the single biggest reason these Ukrainian companies are thriving: you build, then one thousand Soviet aviation fans rush to buy the kits. :)

Holy flying machine, Batman! Is that THING for real? Very nice work on what has to be one of the most unusual aircraft mods ever.

I'm on final approach now......

Tu-91_39.jpg

.... it just needs a wash and a coat of primer to check for flaws....

Tu-91_40.jpg

Ken