Viper MkII Super Deform

Hello all,

I just finished Moebius's new super deform kit. I was surprised by the size of this kit when I opened the box. I was expecting something the size of an Egg plane. This kit is much larger. The kit itself goes together really well but Moebius needs to get their decals done by someone else. This kit comes with two sets of decals, regular stickers and water slide decals. The water slide decals are some of the worst I have encountered. They are very thick, brittle and glossy so I decided to paint the stripes. The stand that comes with the kit is not up to the job either. I used the top off of an old solar light for my base. The hole at the top for the solar cell was filled in with a piece of wood and epoxied into place. A groove to match the bottom of the Moebius stand was dremeled into the putty and then epoxied in place. I tried to paint the base in a marble effect but I still need to improve my skills in that area. I am really happy to see that Moebius takes chances on kits like this. I bought a large plastic Easter egg yesterday so that I can start scratching up a Cylon to go with my Viper.

100_7483_zpsh95rth8v.jpg

The Tamiya glue was placed in the picture to give a size an idea of the size of the kit.

100_7506_zpsxfljashy.jpg

100_7509_zpsricizkyd.jpg

100_7507_zpsetsk0ml5.jpg

100_7507_zpsuwddd1dd.jpg

100_7511_zpsxxqvxidp.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Els

Hi Els

Thanks for posting this. I just picked up this kit last week so nice to see how it looks built up. Like you I was very surprised at the size of the kit in the box. Thanks too for confirming the decals. I was not too hopeful that they would work and I had planned on painting anyway. Nice work on the stand.

The last time I built the Viper it was the original Monogram one when the kit was first released. Too bad it went to plastic heaven as it would have been nice to keep it for historical value. I have the new issues so it would be a hoot to build that too and sit them beside each other :)

Chris,

I am with you, I wish I had more of the kits I built as a kid. One of the ones I really wish I had was the Buck Rogers Starfighter. I have seen a few for sale but the price is too high for me.

I spoke with Frank from Moebius this weekend at Jaxcon. I have talked with him several times over the years at shows and am always amazed at how nice the guy is especially since he probably gets asked the same questions about a million times at the shows.

Hal

Chris,

I am with you, I wish I had more of the kits I built as a kid. One of the ones I really wish I had was the Buck Rogers Starfighter. I have seen a few for sale but the price is too high for me.

I spoke with Frank from Moebius this weekend at Jaxcon. I have talked with him several times over the years at shows and am always amazed at how nice the guy is especially since he probably gets asked the same questions about a million times at the shows.

Hal

Hmm, I have both of the Buck Rogers kits. Pretty simple as can be expected at the time but still cool. I saw recently that there is someone making a resin Buck Rogers starfighter plus there is a detail set for the Marauder out there somewhere if I could only remember where I saw it now.

Moebius has become one of my favourite SF kit companies. Sure do some neat stuff. Plus they released the original Galactica so I a big fan of them.