Looking for a clay rolling tool

I vaguely remember seeing a tool that can be used to evenly roll clay into various small sizes (used to simulate curved tubing), but I cannot for the life of me recall what it was called or where I saw it.

Does the description ring a bell for anyone here? Or have I just been sniffing too much Tenax? :smiley-whacky034: :P

Matt B)

I think he's talking about something to roll out "worms" or sticks of clay evenly, not to roll in to a flat sheet. I don't know if such a tool exist but I would be interested in one as well if it does.

What I currently do when I need an even diameter is to roll out traditionally between my palms trying to get it as consistent as possible and then roll on a flat surface. Then I'll take it and pass it through a draftman's circle template. It's not perfect because it stretches some when you gently pull it through, but it keeps it a little more round.

If you find anything let me know!

Bill

I think he's talking about something to roll out "worms" or sticks of clay evenly, not to roll in to a flat sheet. I don't know if such a tool exist but I would be interested in one as well if it does.

What I currently do when I need an even diameter is to roll out traditionally between my palms trying to get it as consistent as possible and then roll on a flat surface. Then I'll take it and pass it through a draftman's circle template. It's not perfect because it stretches some when you gently pull it through, but it keeps it a little more round.

If you find anything let me know!

Bill

What Bill said.

So far, no luck. :tumble:

Matt B)

ok, i will repeat.... take a blob of milliput and make a roll out of it. Then sprinkle some talcum powder on the level survace (cuting mat) then place the piece of glass (4 by 4 inches is what i use )on top of the milliput and roll it with a piece of glass. You will end up with perfect roll of milliput.

ok, i will repeat.... take a blob of milliput and make a roll out of it. Then sprinkle some talcum powder on the level survace (cuting mat) then place the piece of glass (4 by 4 inches is what i use )on top of the milliput and roll it with a piece of glass. You will end up with perfect roll of milliput.

I've done this and yes, it does work to a degree. But if you want it to be perfectly cylindrical with an even diameter across the whole roll it's darn near impossible. You'd have to keep the glass perfectly parrallel to the surface and not rock left or right at all. Not saying it's impossible but not easy. I guess you could tape a level to the top of the glass to help guide you.