now that MM does not make a 36251, which to use

As i got ready to paint my F-15C (1/72 Hasegawa to be 123rd FS - Caracal!), i noticed my old bottle of MM 36251 was no longer a liquid. So, off to the LHS to buy a new bottle. Discontinued, is what they tell me. So which paint to buy to paint the Mod Eagle scheme (i prefer acrylics, but beggars can't be choosers)?

I love the Gunze Aqueous paints, but they do not make a 36251.

TIA

I've got Humbrol #140 (HU 20), as a match, but that's suspect as they call out the same colour for 36231 as well.

Looking at 36231 and 36251, there is not that much difference (36231 a tiny bit lighter than 36251).

If it was me, I would use some FS 36231, do you have any ??

FWIW, Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

Because money is more important than model accuracy?

Oh, just to make sure, are we talking about the enamel 36251 or acrylic (assuming there was even an acrylic version, since i don't really use acrylics)

Edited by Sarathi S.

Although I rarely use MM paints, there's at least a dozen colours in that list that I would say are must haves for anyone building military a/c since the 1950's. Crazy decision to discontinue them.

Armor Sand and Modern Desert Sand are discontinued as well? So much for desert armored vehicles. Pale Green? So much for Israeli Air Force camo. Insignia white is the one that really throws me for a loop, though. I always found it easier to use than simple flat white.

I'm sure if they could, the bean counters would only sell white, red, yellow, blue, and black, and say that if you need a color, mix your own.

Here's the full Discontinued List:

Discontinued Testors Model Master Paints

Canadian Voodoo Grey FS 16515

So they discontinue Voodoo Grey right when we are get revell to re-release 2 seat Voodoo's and there are rumblings of a 1/48 2 seater (new tool)...

Mr. Paint has it

http://mrpaint.sk/eshop/farby/lietadla/USA?product_id=150

Pretty sure Redstar has it coming in soon for a US distributor

Yes, we have also recommended several other US FS numbers to be included in the range, so stay tuned for updates! Also for the person that referenced the Russian colors - in the MM rack most of them are poor matches - Both MR Paint and AKAN are superior on this front.

German modellers are the most unlucky now because Faller stopped to import the MM enamel colors. So we only can get what the dealers have in their shops and then - basta! So why not to try to get it from UK or USA!? Haaa....they do not ship that stuff to Germany! Must be so super dangerous and flammable!

I also regret that many colors are discontinued and I still like the enamels because the acrylics are a PITA to brush paint.

For the camouflage grey there is an equivalent from Humbrol, but for aggressor grey there is not.

So it will be rough way to paint an F-5 agrressor in "new ghost" where you have to take camo and agr. grey and you have to mix that, too. :crying2:/>

For FS 3(1)6251you can take Xtracolor X132

Edited by tobiK

Discontinued Testors Model Master Paints:

I can understand a few of those....but Camouflage Grey FS 36622 and Insignia White FS 17875????? Ridiculous. But then "new management" is usually "stupid is as stupid does". Mergers...Acquisitions...etc. are freakin free frawls and usually UGLY. Annoying...

Edited by pminer

Guys - I hate to say it, but MM paint is yesteryear's technology. Once you try some of the newer paint available, you'll quickly figure out why it's really no big loss for those to be going away. And regardless of whether you try MR Paint or not - between Vallejo, Akan, MIG, AK, and all the other brands that have been springing up over the last few years, you'll be shocked at how much better they are.

Guys - I hate to say it, but MM paint is yesteryear's technology. Once you try some of the newer paint available, you'll quickly figure out why it's really no big loss for those to be going away. And regardless of whether you try MR Paint or not - between Vallejo, Akan, MIG, AK, and all the other brands that have been springing up over the last few years, you'll be shocked at how much better they are.

I'm no fan of Testors MM paint (hate the stuff actually), but they're one of the two lines you can be guaranteed to find in any hobby store in North America, and Tamiya's paint selection is far smaller (even if it's much better paint). If you do German WW2 or modern US stuff it's been the defacto standard.

Here in Canada, mail order of paint is almost a no-go (it's near-impossible to get through customs), so it comes down to local selection and that's always Tamiya, MM and if you're lucky Vallejo.

I'm no fan of Testors MM paint (hate the stuff actually), but they're one of the two lines you can be guaranteed to find in any hobby store in North America, and Tamiya's paint selection is far smaller (even if it's much better paint). If you do German WW2 or modern US stuff it's been the defacto standard.

Here in Canada, mail order of paint is almost a no-go (it's near-impossible to get through customs), so it comes down to local selection and that's always Tamiya, MM and if you're lucky Vallejo.

Sorry to hear that paint in the mail is hard to do. But at least it sounds like there are still shops around up there. In our case the US hobby shop is getting harder and harder to find. I have to either source paint from one of our distributors or mail order a specialty brand.