F-16 - 42 years and counting

Well, if you look at the rate it put on weight in those 42 years... ;)/>

Undoubtably she's a classic.

Cheers,

Andre

Amazing....It seems like just a few years ago we were taking deliveries of the first one at Nellis :woot.gif:

Cheers, Christian

Amazing....It seems like just a few years ago we were taking deliveries of the first one at Nellis :woot.gif:/>

Indeed, I still vividly recall similar delivieres to Leeuwarden AB for 322 /323 Squadrons of the Dutch AF....

Cheers,

Andre

Amazing....It seems like just a few years ago we were taking deliveries of the first one at Nellis :woot.gif:/>

Indeed, I still vividly recall similar delivieres to Leeuwarden AB for 322 /323 Squadrons of the Dutch AF....

Cheers,

Andre

Yep, it's just about my favorite modern aircraft. In contrast to what Chuck Yeager said in an interview when promoting the F-20, I think the F-16 had several ground-breaking features for its time: Fly-By-Wire controls (probably the most significant, because it allowed other things to be incorporated), LERX, blended fuselage and wings, mach-2 performance without complex air intakes, side-stick control, and probably a few I forgot. I think all that has contributed to its long life.

Plus, it's just a nice looking jet. :)/>

Edited by Ken Cartwright

Which other aircraft have this feature? By complex do you mean moving?

Yes, moving to adjust for the shockwave and slow the air down to subsonic speeds, like the F-4, F-15, etc. The F-16 intake was place at a location relative to nose that somehow accomplishes the same thing, as far as I understand it.

Edited by Ken Cartwright

I believe the technical term is "fixed" vs "variable" inlet design, as in variable inlet ramps seen in the F-4, F-14 & F-15 just to name a few. The F/A-18 inlet(s) would also fall under "fixed".

My understanding of the F-16 inlet position design was to provide an unobstructed/undisturbed airflow path at high angles of attack.

What about the F-20?

I wasn't able to find any info on the F-20 intake design (if that's what you were asking about), probably because it wasn't produced in any numbers. But even if it was a fixed intake design, its first flight was 8 years after the F-16, so the F-16 would have still been a predecessor for that (similar to fly-by-wire, which just about every combat fighter had after the F-16, etc.).

TBH I'm not sure which parts of the intakes move on which planes. I think, if the F-20 had fixed intakes, it's in a grey area because those intakes seem to be from the F-5, only the bigger engine of the F-20 made it mach 2 capable. This is all at a glace, but yeah I see what you mean about many others following the falcon.

I wasn't able to find any info on the F-20 intake design (if that's what you were asking about), probably because it wasn't produced in any numbers. But even if it was a fixed intake design, its first flight was 8 years after the F-16, so the F-16 would have still been a predecessor for that (similar to fly-by-wire, which just about every combat fighter had after the F-16, etc.).

The F-20 had a fixed geometry inlet as well.

The first Mach 2 production aircraft, the F-104, also had a fixed geometry inlet design. A full 18 years before the F-16 first flew so one could say the Starfighter was the predecessor to both the F-16 and F-20 as far as a fixed inlet design is concerned.

Back to the subject! I am totally impressed with how a small single engine fighter that was originally designed as an air superiority fighter has evolved into a Jack-of-All-Trades multi-role fighter.

Cheers,

John

TBH I'm not sure which parts of the intakes move on which planes. I think, if the F-20 had fixed intakes, it's in a grey area because those intakes seem to be from the F-5, only the bigger engine of the F-20 made it mach 2 capable. This is all at a glace, but yeah I see what you mean about many others following the falcon.

Yeah, I'm not an expert, it's just stuff I've read. I think it's different for different aircraft. Here's a description of the F-15E's inlets: http://www.f-15e.info/joomla/en/technology/engines/100-air-inlets

Thanks CF104, I didn't know it had fixed inlets - interesting!

Yep, it's just about my favorite modern aircraft. In contrast to what Chuck Yeager said in an interview when promoting the F-20, I think the F-16 had several ground-breaking features for its time: Fly-By-Wire controls (probably the most significant, because it allowed other things to be incorporated), LERX, blended fuselage and wings, mach-2 performance without complex air intakes, side-stick control, and probably a few I forgot. I think all that has contributed to its long life.

Plus, it's just a nice looking jet. :)/>/>

Chuck was well bought and said as much.

Plus, it's just a nice looking jet. :)/>/>

Dont forget the reclining position of the pilot to tolerate high G forces and the bubble canopy.

My favorite aircraft hands down. The most number of kits I have of one aircraft is this one.

A beautiful design with great capability.

What I find surprising- assuming I have my facts straight (never a sure thing!)- is that the most advanced F-16's in the world today are all owned by foreign countries, many of which are in the Middle East, like Bahrain, Jordan, Israel (of course), Oman, UAE and recently Iraq.

Example: United Arab Emirates

From the 'net: "As of mid-2014 the UAE Air Force & Air Defence (UAE AF & AD) fielded a total of 79 F-16E/F Block 60 Desert Falcons, the majority of which were to be upgraded to Block 61 standard. In addition, it had requested the sale of a further 30 Block 61 aircraft, although a contract had yet to be signed."

The obvious question is, how does an American F-16 fare against one of these export Vipers if a good guy today, turns into a bad guy tomorrow? My guess is that the US will just send in F-22's instead and not worry about it. ;)

What I find surprising- assuming I have my facts straight (never a sure thing!)- is that the most advanced F-16's in the world today are all owned by foreign countries, many of which are in the Middle East, like Bahrain, Jordan, Israel (of course), Oman, UAE and recently Iraq.

Example: United Arab Emirates

From the 'net: "As of mid-2014 the UAE Air Force & Air Defence (UAE AF & AD) fielded a total of 79 F-16E/F Block 60 Desert Falcons, the majority of which were to be upgraded to Block 61 standard. In addition, it had requested the sale of a further 30 Block 61 aircraft, although a contract had yet to be signed."

The obvious question is, how does an American F-16 fare against one of these export Vipers if a good guy today, turns into a bad guy tomorrow? My guess is that the US will just send in F-22's instead and not worry about it. ;)/>

Highly upgraded teens have been consolation prizes for countries that can't have 5th gen