So i have a VW key fob that has been broken now for the 2nd time. The first fix was solved by drilling a hole in the key fob. I was playing w/ my nephew this weekend and the key ring broke through, so now I need help finding a new way to secure this on a key ring. Below is an example.

I was thinking of either an epoxy to cover the hole that broke through, or drilling vertically through the top and securing it that way, or gluing something on the top.

any thoughts?

hqdefault.jpg

Can you not program a new one yourself? I did it with my Jeep fobs. Had the keys cut at a locksmith then programmed them myself. Bought the replacement keys off Amazon for $20.00. On a Jeep however you need two valid keys to program a third or more.

Can you not program a new one yourself? I did it with my Jeep fobs. Had the keys cut at a locksmith then programmed them myself. Bought the replacement keys off Amazon for $20.00. On a Jeep however you need two valid keys to program a third or more.

You can, but it is very complicated by my understanding.

Can the guts be pulled out of your original key fob? If so, perhaps you could get one of those "no chip" versions and just swap the electronics.

Otherwise, I've used JB Weld to repair plastic, but I'd add some metal, perhaps a small split ring.

Can the guts be pulled out of your original key fob? If so, perhaps you could get one of those "no chip" versions and just swap the electronics.

Otherwise, I've used JB Weld to repair plastic, but I'd add some metal, perhaps a small split ring.

Hmm, good call, I'll try that

Hmm, good call on the JB weld, I'll try that

Hmm, good call, I'll try that

If you're going to go through the trouble of ripping the electronics out and swapping it into something else, why not have fun with it and find a small (1/43-ish maybe?) VW bug model/toy (or anything really) and modify it to allow for button and key access etc... Could make for a very unique key fob. Couldn't hurt to try.

Bill