? For you navy guys and or gals

Article II or the Code of Conduct:

Code of Conduct for members of the United States Armed Forces:

I. I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

II. I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

III. If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

IV. If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.

V. When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

VI. I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

"means to resist" being the key words. I think your original question should be "As a COMMANDING OFFICER of a Navy vessel.....", many aircraft and vessels/ships are commanded by potentially many different ranks.

Cheers

Collin

Suppose you have major engineering casualties, primary and secondary batteries are out of commission, the helm doesn't respond and Damage Control Central recommends abandoning ship because of uncontrolled flooding and fires threatening the magazines. I AGREE FULLY with the above, but if there's a chance to get my crew off, I'd give up the ship ( with the intent of scuttling ). Remember the U.S.S. Pueblo and Cmdr Lloyd Bucher? I think she was outfitted with ( count em ), two . 50 cal mounts and that's it. One crewmember was killed and to further resist was suicide for all . The Skipper made the right call and surrendered the ship and saved his crew. And he was disgraced because North Korea ( and Soviet Russia ) gained an intelligence coup. And North Korea obtained the largest vessel in its fleet. The Navy dropped the ball because it had all kinds of assets available in the Pacific and yet, let the Koreans walk away with her. (1968 was the height of Vietnam). So yes, if you can fight, do so. But if your vessel is lost, remember your crew. They are the ship.

Afoxbat (USN ret.)